NCAA Tournament Challenge

Nola

Trakanon Raider
One of the worst sport injuries I ever saw. I can understand why his team mates were crying.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've watched that clip several times now, and for the life of me I can't understand how that happens on such an innocuous play. Pre-existing injury? Only thing I can think of. The reaction of his team was insane - they knew immediately the kid was done. Sad.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Youtube clips of this injury have surpassed Shaun Livingston's knee bending sideways as my go to "gross friends out with a sports injury" video.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've watched that clip several times now, and for the life of me I can't understand how that happens on such an innocuous play. Pre-existing injury? Only thing I can think of. The reaction of his team was insane - they knew immediately the kid was done. Sad.
I personally think he needs to be tested for some bone issues like leukemia or other bone cancers. That seemed like a pretty standard jump, block, and landing. For his leg to literally fold underneath him like that just seemed really off... I'm not doctor or sports medicine expert, but I've watched basketball for twenty years now and I have never seen anything close to that before.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Such weird things can happen to bodies. These are big guys, with very long limbs. Those bones are punished a lot, running, jumping, and all of that. This might just be a freak thing. Damn, though, it was just disgusting to watch, and I can not imagine how much it hurt. And not just physically - that ended any possibility of him continuing to play basketball at all, let alone for a living.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
And not just physically - that ended any possibility of him continuing to play basketball at all, let alone for a living.
I really don't think this is the case. As gruesome as this was, I honestly think joint injuries are worse for an athlete.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
despite how gory that looked. I think if he honestly lets it heal before playing on it again he should have a full recovery. Bone breaks in the middle of the bone(s) like that actually heal up pretty good. Its the tears in ligaments or as an above poster said joint issues that never really go away.

Fadaar

That guy
Yeah a straight break is possible to come back from, it's joint and ligament problems that really end careers. See just about any pitcher with rotator cuff/shoulder problems.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I was watching the game where Joe Theismann got his leg broke (Yeah, I'm old, fuck off), and saw this injury as well. They both made it very difficult to finish masturbating.

Seriously though, those are the two most gut-wrenching injuries I've seen.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I played football, I saw this happen to a kid first hand, Chop blocked down the line, QB went over the top of us, the defensive lineman wasn't so lucky, had his shin bent at a 90 degree angle and the bone was sticking out. Kids were pucking and crying and shit, the kid with the broken leg didn't even know wtf was going on, was pretty cool.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Michael Bush suffered almost the exact same type of break in the Louisville vs. Kentucky game in 2006 when Wesley Woodyard took him out. Three touchdowns in the first half warranted a pretty hard hit, apparently. Anyhow, they're comparing the injury to Bush's on the radio; Rick Pitino said the same in the post-game press conference. They're saying it's roughly a year recovery time, but that Kevin Ware ought to be able to play basketball again. That is pretty uplifting to hear, after seeing him go down like that.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bones can be repaired rather easily. Give him a couple metal plates and screws and some time and he'll be better than he was originally. Like everyone said, it's the muscle/cartilage tears that are by far the worst.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The main thing to worry about is the blood flow not restoring properly which would cause necrosis.

Charles_sl

shitlord
That was the worst. I agree with checking him for other issues or prior injuries... That seems really bad for such a strong bone (bones?) to just snap after a simple jump. I mean... Nothing happened to him, he just landed on one leg a little awkwardly and boom. Cancer or something terrible like that seems very possible to me. How common is it for a young man to have osteoporosis?

I just got back from D.C. for Easter with the family, everyone was watching as it happened. Really sad. I'm glad Louisville was able to come back from it, well not just came back, more like dominate after it. GG Duke.

In other news!!!: Syracuse! Let's go Orange!