NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Letang hearing. Guessing 1 or 2 games. Which would be about right. Just like Orpik getting 3 was right imo.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
His face chopping advanced stats must be taking a dive...
Phew, it's about time! He was comming dangerously close to NOT playing like a shitbag. Not sure what the official ruling is on elbows, but a chop is a chop in my book.

Wouldn't suprise me if he gets away with it, but if he doesn't thats a huge loss. Murray's been awesome, but I can see that being the straw that breaks his back. I was leaning more towards Pittsburgh, but it would be pretty glorious if they blow it because shitbag mcgee saw a face he couldn't help but smash.

Merrith

Think it's funny no comment on Kunitz being the normal shitstain he is with that chop with the stick blade right into Williams stomach last night. Looked like he was trying to stab him with the stick blade.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure what the official ruling is on elbows, but a chop is a chop in my book.
Whose elbow is at the top of their arm?

It was .03 late, which is still late. And it was clearly intended to be body to body, but he caught the head with his shoulder. Which is still illegal....sort of.

If they hadn't let him get away with the slash, and if they hadn't come down on Orpik, he'd get a joke of a fine like Wilson. Which is of course dumb, he deserves a game and he'll pretty surely get a game.

I'm pissed at Letang. He needs to play safe no matter how filthy the Caps are treating him. He's possibly the most important Penguin. Without Sid or Malkin there's still the other one, plus a ton of forward talent in general. Letang though fills a role no one else can. And he plays crazy minutes. Just fucking dumb to let yourself be baited and play with that kind of emotion.

Stupid. He'll get 1 game. He deserves 1 game.

Max. Frankly it wasn't even a bad hit and not technically even late. Or targeting the head. But the way we're going it's not something they can let go. It's full on pitchfork time from here on out.

I can't stay mad at Orpik. He's been genuinely contrite and said all the right things. He's not that guy. Just made a shitty decision in a split second.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Saw it from the angle posted earlier and I guess I can't stress the narrative, no elbow. I'll properly re-adjust his avg hcpg% to reflect this.

Merrith

Whose elbow is at the top of their arm?

It was .03 late, which is still late. And it was clearly intended to be body to body, but he caught the head with his shoulder. Which is still illegal....sort of.

If they hadn't let him get away with the slash, and if they hadn't come down on Orpik, he'd get a joke of a fine like Wilson. Which is of course dumb, he deserves a game and he'll pretty surely get a game.

I'm pissed at Letang. He needs to play safe no matter how filthy the Caps are treating him. He's possibly the most important Penguin. Without Sid or Malkin there's still the other one, plus a ton of forward talent in general. Letang though fills a role no one else can. And he plays crazy minutes. Just fucking dumb to let yourself be baited and play with that kind of emotion.

Stupid. He'll get 1 game. He deserves 1 game.

Max. Frankly it wasn't even a bad hit and not technically even late. Or targeting the head. But the way we're going it's not something they can let go. It's full on pitchfork time from here on out.

I can't stay mad at Orpik. He's been genuinely contrite and said all the right things. He's not that guy. Just made a shitty decision in a split second.
I would say more it wasn't that late, but technically it was. Jumping into it makes me think he was targeting the head more. I'm in the 1-2 game range. Letang has been his usual shit stain self, and it's amusing how angry he gets when it gets tossed back at him.

Agreed on Orpik, although it was a very dumb and dangerous decision. Completely worse than Letang incident, which I still feel is a hockey play gone bad.

Agreed on all the bs with how the DOPS will treat it. Pretty sure he'll get 1, unless they feel like trying to "come down hard" and give him 2.

Merrith

1 game. I feel like if Johannson hadn't been able to return to the game it would be 2, but he passed the concussion protocol. Neck bothering him though and didn't skate today.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would say more it wasn't that late, but technically it was. Jumping into it makes me think he was targeting the head more.
He didn't jump. His skates were still firmly on the ice after his shoulder was planted in Johannson's chest. After impact his skates left the ice a bit just like every hit Ovie has ever thrown, big impacts will do that.

And it wasn't technically late. Technically late is .8, it was .63, .03 over the absolute minimum they will review. There's real specific rules about this. I thought it was .6 when I posted before, it's .8 though.

It wasn't a dirty hit physically. It was just a dumb hit situationally. Totally unnecessary. And absolutely because they got in to his head with all the slashing and behind the play shit.

Mostly this just shows how smart Trotz is with his crying after the Orpik thing. Totally set this kind of reaction up to make it look like the league was being super unfair if they didn't overreact.

Comparing this to what Orpik or Wilson did, where theyblatantlyattempted/succeeded in inuring someone is stupid.

Also tell your boy Johannson to keep his head up through the neutral zone lest he end up like Eric Lindros.

Merrith

He didn't jump. His skates were still firmly on the ice after his shoulder was planted in Johannson's chest. After impact his skates left the ice a bit just like every hit Ovie has ever thrown, big impacts will do that.

And it wasn't technically late. Technically late is .8, it was .63, .03 over the absolute minimum they will review. There's real specific rules about this. I thought it was .6 when I posted before, it's .8 though.

It wasn't a dirty hit physically. It was just a dumb hit situationally. Totally unnecessary. And absolutely because they got in to his head with all the slashing and behind the play shit.

Mostly this just shows how smart Trotz is with his crying after the Orpik thing. Totally set this kind of reaction up to make it look like the league was being super unfair if they didn't overreact.

Comparing this to what Orpik or Wilson did, where theyblatantlyattempted/succeeded in inuring someone is stupid.

Also tell your boy Johannson to keep his head up through the neutral zone lest he end up like Eric Lindros.
They clarified last night that it wasn't .8, that it was .6. Didn't they? Either way, we're talking a fraction of a second, so I wasn't that freaked out by how late it was. Orpik's was clearly later. Like I said, Letang's hit still felt like a hockey play.

I'd need a slow mo to see his skates firmly planted, definitely seems like he launched up into the hit. Honestly if the DOPS only reviewed this as being late, and .6 is their line and it was .63...it's stupid to suspend him a game. The head contact (whether initial or principal) should be the defining look on hits like these. Not that it was .03 seconds late. No way a guy on the ice can even come close to figuring that.

Merrith

Although I'd love to see more angles of the Boyle hit right before he scored. Looked pretty high.

Merrith

Well, if we can't even up the series with Letang out tonight, we probably don't deserve to keep playing anyways.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
If i'm taking the high road, Caps deserve a cup more than any of the other 7 teams competing imo. Main reason I wanna see Pens win is because I truly think they are the only team that can beat them, and being divisional rivals I would rather see the blues/sharks/preds get a cup.

Beating Pittsburgh right now would really exorcise those second round demons. If they get over this hump, it SHOULD ignite the spark to take them all the way Stars be damned.

Merrith

If i'm taking the high road, Caps deserve a cup more than any of the other 7 teams competing imo. Main reason I wanna see Pens win is because I truly think they are the only team that can beat them, and being divisional rivals I would rather see the blues/sharks/preds get a cup.

Beating Pittsburgh right now would really exorcise those second round demons. If they get over this hump, it SHOULD ignite the spark to take them all the way Stars be damned.
Could kind of argue the Blues deserve a Cup just as much if not more.

Merrith

Well, my ass is pinching a hole in my seat now. Because I needed to see another OT game.