NHL 2015-16 Season Thread

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sharks are a damned machine to start the year.
I'll take it. Jones has now set the franchise record for shutout length by one goalie on the team and by the team in general. Gonna be hard to beat his record.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll take it. Jones has now set the franchise record for shutout length by one goalie on the team and by the team in general. Gonna be hard to beat his record.
Just use some clever coach's challenges when Tim Peel is reffing, can get there again

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just use some clever coach's challenges when Tim Peel is reffing, can get there again
They're really goin all out with the goalie interference thing. I don't know how I feel about it, seeing as how it's actually going our way for once. That call against the Caps was definitely BS, though. Even with the refs on his side I'd still say Jones has had an amazing start.

In other news, I expect us to lose to the isles tonight(assuming they put Stalock in).

Merrith

Backstrom returned tonight, ho hum 1 goal, 2 assists. Ovechkin 3 goals in 3 games played. Oshie with another goal. Carlson continues to put up old Mike Green numbers at less than 65% of old Mike Green's cap number.

I guess the negative was Holtby killed his own shutout by kicking the puck into his own net. Carolina sucks, bring on the West Coast trip.

Merrith

Also the fact that Brooks Orpik has more goals and points than Crosby (I know, low bar this year) is just weird.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
God I really dislike Stalock. He's really not even NHL caliber. Bring on Groessnick as a backup!

Merrith

Nights like tonight, Edmonton isn't unhappy at all to have had a bunch of #1 picks.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, but Crosby is supposed to have a record breaking season this year if you listen to Pens fans.
Look I said I had to adjust my expectations down to sub-200 points already!

Pens 2 in a row. They still look like shit for the most part, but that first 8 minutes tonight was rad.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Nights like tonight, Edmonton isn't unhappy at all to have had a bunch of #1 picks.
Edm is gonna be a scary team the next 10 years if they can manage their cap. How connor already plays at 18 (he doesnt get shuved around) is impressive, can't wait to see more of him
biggrin.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Edm is gonna be a scary team the next 10 years if they can manage their cap. How connor already plays at 18 (he doesnt get shuved around) is impressive, can't wait to see more of him
biggrin.png
Edmonton's cap situation is pretty well handled. Hall/RNH/Eberle are signed to nearly identical 6m contracts that expire one at a time a few years down the road. One of the very few things Tambellini did right (and every asshole around the league said they were awful contracts, now every team is doing long term extensions for guy's second contracts if they're stars). Klefbom is locked up long term pretty cheap, if he is truly a top pairing or very good second pairing guy. Hard to say what happens with guys like McDavid, Nurse, Reinhart, Draisatl and so on but the Hall/RNH/Eberle contracts are almost sort of an internal cap.

It's still a really flawed team on the back end. But hopefully after Nurse is done beating the shit out of the AHL for a month or two that will really help solidify things. Unfortunately Fayne is not the player anyone thought he was, and that contract goes for another 2 seasons after this one. Sekera's looked shaky as well. Basically the Oilers have two pretty decent second pairing guys (Klefbom and Sekera), then a mix of third pairing/power play guys (Fayne, Schultz, Ference, Davidson, Gryba). Reinhart is doing fairly well, but I doubt his ceiling is much higher than second pairing either. It'll be interesting to see if any of the expensive veterans (Fayne, Ference, Nikitin) get shipped out later in the year after injuries start hitting. Over 10m a year locked up in those three guys alone.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Also, it was kind of hilarious how terrified the Calgary D was of McDavid. They bobbled the puck and coughed it up to him constantly. He's ridiculously fast and agile, and he looks to have Datsyuk's ability to strip the puck.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Also, it was kind of hilarious how terrified the Calgary D was of McDavid. They bobbled the puck and coughed it up to him constantly. He's ridiculously fast and agile, and he looks to have Datsyuk's ability to strip the puck.
Eh, my Flames have looked pretty terrible all around this year, might be wrong but that playoff run (if you can call advancing once a run) last year looks to have been a fluke.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Eh, my Flames have looked pretty terrible all around this year, might be wrong but that playoff run (if you can call advancing once a run) last year looks to have been a fluke.
The entire "fancy stats" community was saying that the Flames were a fluke last year. I don't 100% buy in to fancy stats, but I think they do have some value. Calgary's PDO (combined shooting and save percentage) were pretty sky high last year. Reversion to the mean was going to happen. I don't think that the Flames have nearly as good of goaltending as the Habs, Rangers, Lightning or Capitals do. And two of those teams have far better offense as well. So their PDO's might be legit. The Flames got some hot/lucky goaltending and pretty spectacular puck luck shooting wise to add up to a very good PDO that was probably a bit of an illusion.

Merrith

The entire "fancy stats" community was saying that the Flames were a fluke last year. I don't 100% buy in to fancy stats, but I think they do have some value. Calgary's PDO (combined shooting and save percentage) were pretty sky high last year. Reversion to the mean was going to happen. I don't think that the Flames have nearly as good of goaltending as the Habs, Rangers, Lightning or Capitals do. And two of those teams have far better offense as well. So their PDO's might be legit. The Flames got some hot/lucky goaltending and pretty spectacular puck luck shooting wise to add up to a very good PDO that was probably a bit of an illusion.
I do think the Flames overachieved a bit last year, but I also think the talent is there on that team. The fact that made that late push to get into the playoffs and win a round (granted, not like they drew a tough opponent in Round 1) after Giordano went down was the big surprise for me. Also, it's still VERY early this year, and I think any real revelations on teams will take a little while. They probably weren't really as good as their final result last year, but they're likely not nearly as bad as they've looked so far this year.

Although Dennis Wideman still does Dennis Wideman things. Think he was on ice for 5 of the 7 goals scored the other night against Edmonton. Any time he's on the ice, exciting things are happening!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Agreed it's early in the season. Most surprising to me is Columbus so far. Not in a good way. I've got like 4 of their guys on both of my pool teams, and it's killing me.

Merrith

Agreed it's early in the season. Most surprising to me is Columbus so far. Not in a good way. I've got like 4 of their guys on both of my pool teams, and it's killing me.
Apparently they cancelled their team dinner. Despite their overall result last year expectations were high after the 2nd half and with all the injury issues (not to mention moves in the offseason). Heads might start rolling soon. Fucking 0-6-0 is rough. Not even getting to OT for free points a couple times hurts.

Merrith

See Sid is on the board in a big way finally. Ovechkin with a goal to put us up 2-1 in the 2nd for his 900th career point. He could have 2 more tonight if not for a couple nice saves by Rammo