Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
cloud saves do exist, people who have had to send in their switches for repair and got a new switch back were emailed instructions on how to restore their game saves from the cloud. its a thing only nintendo can do right now though (they save the broken switch saves to the cloud before refurbishing it), i'm sure it'll be in the full online package whenever they roll it out.

to me the more interesting question is whether nintendo is ever gonna hardware revise the switch to fix the minor issues (screen scratching, entire thing bends over time, probably others). If it was sony or microsoft it'd be a no brainer, you know after 12-24 months Switch v2 would be quietly rolled out. I have no clue what Nintendo will do though, I think its a pretty good chance they will not fix it but instead release Switch Mini and Switch Home (or whatever) that instead quietly fixes those problems, next year. The Switch is what it is, a first party gaming system and all you will ever really play on it is first party games, indie games, and very few multi plats. I'll buy one when enough first party awesome games are out that I am interested in, right now the count is zero and will remain at that until Mario Odyssey, another Donkey Kong, maybe Pokemon, another Metroid, etc. BOTW and Mario Kart are awesome but I can already play them on my wii u.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
cloud saves do exist, people who have had to send in their switches for repair and got a new switch back were emailed instructions on how to restore their game saves from the cloud. its a thing only nintendo can do right now though (they save the broken switch saves to the cloud before refurbishing it), i'm sure it'll be in the full online package whenever they roll it out..

The video IGN posted on this is false and debunked. There was no cloud save download. It was application data.

Nintendo Switch May Eventually Support Cloud Saves After All - IGN

Either one of two things happened: 1) The kid who posted this video, who should have bought a new pair of jeans before buying a Switch, lied his ass off. (Wouldn't shock me. For all we know it could be Crisco who posted that video) 2) Nintendo themselves transferred the saves over while it was in repair. Either way, what happened in this download was application/patch download data, and was reproduced.

Reggie didn't confirm or deny anything with relation to cloud saves. All he said was "Wouldn't that be wonderful?" It was actually a statement/answer/jab at NOJ because he wanted it, and NOJ said no. It was his way of telling those idiots, "See? I told you so"

Last edited:

Crisco

A greasy jar
Holy Christ they cannot even get this shit to run correctly. (They also couldn't get Binding of Isaac to run well either)

Binding of Isaac doesn't lag on switch, been playing it quite a bit and haven't noticed slowdowns. Or are you talking about something you don't own again?

• 1SJW
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Ok thanks :) I am used to trying to write that out in Hirigana. Do you know Katakana and Kangi as well? I suck with Kangi.

For example: I can read and write this: クリスコは薬を飲んでいるし、コンソールでもひどい味がする。 彼はまた、たぶん女性にキスをしたこともありません。 But when I put it into english I mess it all up.

For some reason I haven't experienced this on my PSVR. Far Point with the Aim Controller works flawlessly, along with the move controllers for Until Dawn Rush of Blood. I may be one of the lucky few though.

But I'll be the first to tell you I have never tried to milk the proverbial video game cow with a joycon.

Sorry I was down in Akihabara at a midnight game release for an Eroge :)

I know Hiragana and Katakana and a fair amount of Kanji but I've never studied it. It's honestly a waste of time. I've been here for 6 years now and I can count the number of times not knowing Kanji has been a problem on one hand.

Also you should be nicer to Crisco :eek:

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Cloud saves seem pretty mandatory at this point. I fully expect it will be a part of their online system, but if it isn't it will be a big problem. Not a huge deal yet since unrecoverable failures (or losing the system itself) is low probability but as the system ages that probability goes up.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Ok thanks :) I am used to trying to write that out in Hirigana. Do you know Katakana and Kangi as well? I suck with Kangi.

For example: I can read and write this: クリスコは薬を飲んでいるし、コンソールでもひどい味がする。 彼はまた、たぶん女性にキスをしたこともありません。 But when I put it into english I mess it all up.

For some reason I haven't experienced this on my PSVR. Far Point with the Aim Controller works flawlessly, along with the move controllers for Until Dawn Rush of Blood. I may be one of the lucky few though.

But I'll be the first to tell you I have never tried to milk the proverbial video game cow with a joycon.

クリスコは薬を飲んでいるし、コンソールでもひどい味がする。 彼はまた、たぶん女性にキスをしたこともありません
Kirisuko wa kusuri o nondeirushi. Konsooru demo hidoi aji ga suru. Kare wa mata, tabun josei ni kisu o shitakotomo arimasen
Crisco is medicine drinking, console but horrible taste exists. He is still probably woman kiss hasn't.

Not quite sure what you were trying to get across there. :)

Also if you wanted what I said before in Hiragana, it's:

Watashi no namae wa Utanayan-san desu. Nihongo dekimasen ka
わたしのなまえはウタナヤンーさんです. にほんごできませんか.
私の名前はウタナヤンーさんです。日本語出来ませんか

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sorry I was down in Akihabara at a midnight game release for an Eroge :)

I know Hiragana and Katakana and a fair amount of Kanji but I've never studied it. It's honestly a waste of time. I've been here for 6 years now and I can count the number of times not knowing Kanji has been a problem on one hand.

Also you should be nicer to Crisco :eek:

Haha I was thinking you would have caught on to that one :)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Binding of Isaac doesn't lag on switch, been playing it quite a bit and haven't noticed slowdowns. Or are you talking about something you don't own again?

Try playing before you do this...

man-snorting-hug-pile-of-coke.jpg

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
クリスコは薬を飲んでいるし、コンソールでもひどい味がする。 彼はまた、たぶん女性にキスをしたこともありません
Kirisuko wa kusuri o nondeirushi. Konsooru demo hidoi aji ga suru. Kare wa mata, tabun josei ni kisu o shitakotomo arimasen
Crisco is medicine drinking, console but horrible taste exists. He is still probably woman kiss hasn't.

Not quite sure what you were trying to get across there. :)

Also if you wanted what I said before in Hiragana, it's:

Watashi no namae wa Utanayan-san desu. Nihongo dekimasen ka
わたしのなまえはウタナヤンーさんです. にほんごできませんか.
私の名前はウタナヤンーさんです。日本語出来ませんか

I need to see if I can still remember this correctly. I may be off.

Let's say - Hanashimas. (To Speak). If I say Hanashimaska? That still translates to "Do you speak" correct? And if I change that to Hanashimaskides ka that is Do you like to speak?

Oh, to keep this on topic, Switch needs some help. And quickly.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I need to see if I can still remember this correctly. I may be off.

Let's say - Hanashimas. (To Speak). If I say Hanashimaska? That still translates to "Do you speak" correct? And if I change that to Hanashimaskides ka that is Do you like to speak?

Oh, to keep this on topic, Switch needs some help. And quickly.

Hanashimasu (Pronounced Ha-na-shi-mass) is to speak yes. But it's more used in the context of, I need to speak to you. Not in the context of language. "Hanashi ga aru" means "I need to speak to you"

In this case, it would be better to use the verb Dekimasu "Can" - Nihongo dekimasu ka means literally "Can you Japanese?"

It's more polite to use the negative form when asking a question though, so I used "Nihongo dekimasen ka" "Can't you Japanese?" - sounds a bit weird in English but it's more polite in Japanese.

I'm not familiar with the final form you listed. It may exist, but I've never heard of, and it's almost never used in conversation. In this case, it would be better to use suki. Simply Nihongo ga suki desu ka "Do you like Japanese language?" would be sufficient, but if you want to specify the action "Do you like speaking" you should use Nihongo wo hanishimasu no suki desu ka - the no is the critical point there.

Also switch bad. No buy. I miss the old Nintendo :(

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Crisco Crisco I am curious what your thoughts are on this article and do you feel this accurately describes you? A few tidbits.

The thing is, Nintendo fans are the Bernie Sanders supporters of the video game world (I used to use the Ron Paul analogy, but despite the divergent political comparison points, the simile still works.) For starters, since all they ever do is circle jerk each other, they never, ever leave their little fanboy enclave, so they totally overstate just how many like-minded dildos and dweebs there are in the world like them.

So, Nintendo - as a company, a brand name, and a developer of video games - is pretty much the multimedia equivalent of everybody's favorite senile, 70-something communist from New Hampshire. Nothing either of them propose would work, they don't know a goddamn thing about how mainstream Americans think and both are depressingly stuck in the past, hopelessly clinging onto their gilded age accomplishments like the triumphs of 1994 mean anything to anybody except their most rabid of autistic cult members.

Even Ray Charles can see why the Switch is such a horribly stupid idea, and he's dead. You see, Nintendo thinks people play iPhone and iPad games because they are mobile and usually incorporate some sort of delayed WiFi multiplayer element - hence, this horrible, horrible console unveiling video that shows millennials breaking out the controllers for NBA 2K pick-up games at basketball courts and carrying their machines over to rooftop keggers to play Mario Kart. No, you pedophile-supporting, literal hooker hiring 'tards, people enjoy smart phone games because they're on the machines they spend eight-to-nine-hours a day looking at already. They don't absorb themselves into the games for hours on end like dedicated Madden or Elder Scrolls or Forza players, they just need quick and easy hits of instant virtual gratification to ward of the daily rigors of modern ennui. You can play a game for ten minutes, hop off, check Facebook, and go back to cooking dinner or taking a shit or watching Grey's Anatomy or whatever else you do with your life. Whereas commercial console gaming is all about software commitment, the new-wave mobile games succeed by extolling themselves as nothing more than glorified, low-quality time killers. So, in short, the sort of deep, nuanced, intricate gameplay Nintendo used to be known for back in the NES and SNES days is quite literally incompatible with the iPad-era definition of portable gaming.

THE INTERNET IS IN AMERICA: The Nintendo Switch Sucks And I Hope It Bankrupts The Company

Not trolling. You are not like Man O War what so ever. Man o war still can state the bullshit involved with the Switch. You, on the other hand, just stated yesterday that backing up saves and cloud saves mean jack shit and you do not care about them. So, I am trying to understand the pscyhe of the Nintendo Fan SA>FOH transitional poster. Are you finding it a little rough now that people aren't blowing sunshine up your ass about this product you bought and realize, while you can like it all you want, it has severe, technical, developmental, deficencies in core standard values?

Crisco

A greasy jar
Crisco Crisco I am curious what your thoughts are on this article and do you feel this accurately describes you? A few tidbits.

THE INTERNET IS IN AMERICA: The Nintendo Switch Sucks And I Hope It Bankrupts The Company

Not trolling. You are not like Man O War what so ever. Man o war still can state the bullshit involved with the Switch. You, on the other hand, just stated yesterday that backing up saves and cloud saves mean jack shit and you do not care about them. So, I am trying to understand the pscyhe of the Nintendo Fan SA>FOH transitional poster. Are you finding it a little rough now that people aren't blowing sunshine up your ass about this product you bought and realize, while you can like it all you want, it has severe, technical, developmental, deficencies in core standard values?

So someone else doesn't like Nintendo, glad you have an internet friend. Why does me liking something offend you so much.

Read my previous post, Nintendo isn't for you since the 90's or so and will never be for you again. Why care so much about trashing something you isn't marketed for you?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So someone else doesn't like Nintendo, glad you have an internet friend. Why does me liking something offend you so much.

Read my previous post, Nintendo isn't for you since the 90's or so and will never be for you again. Why care so much about trashing something you isn't marketed for you?

You didn't answer my question. Do you feel this pertains to you? As I stated, I do not care what you like or do not like. I am curious how folks who are Nintendo fans have continual blinders on to reality of what was launched, and what's slated for it in the next year. No offense intended, and since we ARE in the Nintendo Switch thread, I am looking at you as a science/mental experiment of sorts from here on out, which went to that level after you stated backing up saves to a memory card / cloud was "a non issue who cares Nintendo is awesome" response. (I can see the cloud rolling out at some point.... But recognizing a critical, simple, and standard feature of backing up saved games to a MicroSD to from an objective, not subjective point of view, is something I do not think your brain is capable of. )

I am honestly genuinely curious how you blind yourself to the most basic of functionality in rabid defense of your purchase.

Consider me your own personal Sigmund Freud of the thread while we wait for anything meaningful to discuss about the system.

I mean, I can like a system, or I can dislike a system, and for either one I can objectively look at each one and wonder what the company was thinking when they made a certain decision(s). I guess the main question is, can you?

Last edited:

Crisco

A greasy jar
I don't care about saves, if the game is worth playing and is fun why would it ruin you experience to play a good game again? Would cloud saves be nice, I guess, but not enough for me to care especially if the game is fun and worth playing again. I can delete my BotW save right now and when hard mode is released I will start a new save, that old save means nothing to me now.

I clicked on your link but closed it because that website makes my brain hurt, and the excerpt you provided was your same argument but from some other random internet journalist. Does it describe me? I mentioned I like Nintendo and their games and don't care about cloud saves. You read the article so tell me.

Answer my question, why do you care so much about something that hasn't been what you want for 2 decades?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I don't care about saves

Now remember, we are talking about not what you think subjectively - we are talking about objectively, how is it possible that in 2017, a console launches without the ability to save a game on something else other than internal storage to the console itself which cannot be removed/moved to an alternate storage method? I am just starting with this one, very simple feature, that has been in every single console release, including Nintendo launches, since 2001. That's 16 years of having this as standard/expected. From an objective point of view, why wouldn't that be there this iteration?

Why do you care so much about something that hasn't been what you want for 2 decades?

Assumptive. I loved the Gamecube, I loved my Wii. I liked the strides Nintendo took with the Wii U towards online catch up policies and matchmaking and realizing (10 years too late) how important multiplayer is outside the couch. With the gamecube, I loved the fact I could use my GBA linked to the console while playing animal crossing and get access to a special island. With the Wii, I liked the innovative motion controls for the casual market (At the time, it was something new, and it was being done right even though it lost it's flavor) The Wii U was a shit show from a hardware perspective, but they made progress in their online component as a whole (Including apps, Mii's, writing messages in games, etc)

The Switch however, reverted all those online component improvements, removed even the ability to store a save on a MicroSD, increased prices of indie games (Due to higher licensing), has poor hardware quality control, and basically took one giant leap back (Objectively from a feature list and online services component) with today's standards, and even their own.

Objectively speaking, why would they do that? Even as they made progress on the previous generations in the standards everyone wants to see progress made in, only to revert it?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

That "article" is pretty awful. Tries way too hard to be edgy and is more cringe instead

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The Switch however, reverted all those online component improvements, removed even the ability to store a save on a MicroSD, increased prices of indie games (Due to higher licensing), has poor hardware quality control, and basically took one giant leap back (Objectively from a feature list and online services component) with today's standards, and even their own
Source on that license fee change? Hadn't heard that before.