Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Here's the thing...if you skipped the Wii U entirely like I did and the Switch included 1-2 Switch as a pack in for $250 with the Pro controller only $50 and Mario Kart at launch, I'd be in. No questions asked. Well, fewer questions. I could care less about their online provided games support split screen for home fun. I have Steam for my online stuff. I want a friends and family console to sit around the TV until someone gets mad and throws a controller at you over Rainbow Road. They got so close. And failed. I don't even care so much about VC since I have a Raspberry Pi loaded down on my CRT.

Oh, I realize I still own a lot of the SNES launch lineup! My FZero no longer functions though.

Caeden

I last purchased a console in early 2007. Crazy to think that. I was guaranteed to have all three or both or whatever in each generation since SNES. I couldn't even begin to tell you what exclusives are even on a Xbone. PS4 I kinda know because a friend has one.

9 years.

A side note, I recently pissed away $250 on a dinner for the wife and I. I'll sit here and say fuck you to Nintendo for charging $299 for a semi-sophisticated piece of technology. I'm the asshole that paid $1 for a 2-liter of Mountain Dew then bitched about $1.50/gal gas in the early 2000's.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah but keeping the woman happy generally comes leaps and bounds before gaming in general :p - Can splurge on the woman then come home and complain about not wanting to renew PSP for $60. My thing with nintendo is i just never see the point - Its odd tho bc i remember playing punch out religiously and bomberman - Bayou Billy(sp?) and other oldies - i owned all of their systems up till the failed VR and gamecube - Now its like - no matter how interesting it looks i just cant be bothered. I like smash a bit but not enough to buy a console thats just going to have the same games it had last generation all over again.

Games like Horizon and For Honor i just see never making it to a nintendo console - and its shit like that which keeps me from purchasing it - Sure some of you will buy them all and have some for different purposes - but id rather have 2 xbones and 2 PS4s than toss a Nintendo console in the mix - I just picked up a PSPro and il grab Scorpio later this year at whatever price point, but i wont touch Nintendo.

I also have a legit PC for those needs but thats a glorified WoWbox with media streaming.

So just what reason is there to buy Nintendo if there is 0 nostalgia factor to see Mario and the same guys from the 80s again?

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
I'm 42 and lived in Japan from 1992 till 2000 and owned all the systems at one time or another while I was over there. During that time almost all AAA games were made by Japanese game companies. (Speaking strictly console not computer) Japanese game companies have slowly over the past 15 or so years become my least favorite game makers. Konami, Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix really haven't produced anything amazing in a long time. Sure there are a few games but not many. All the good AAA games are now done better in Europe and the USA in my opinion. If you like the same rehashed crap that the Japanese game companies put out every year then good for you but I got tired of them and moved on a long time ago. I'm looking at my Steam library and the only Japanese games I see are FFVI, FFXIII(lol) and Street Fighter IV. Sold my PS4, Xbox One and Wii U a while ago and besides Wind Waker and Mario those were the only Japanese made games I had because 3rd party games on the Wii U were non existent.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I tried a Wii-U but it lasted maybe 12 days before i realized 9 days went by without playing it. The friends and fam i had over werent intrigued by it at all and i just cant get into MH at all - perhpas if it was was completely redone anew on a stronger system and didnt look like a PS1 game id be for it - but as it is now, its just meh.

I love Mario kart and id love to play it again, but not enough to support buying a Nintendo system.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
The new Zelda game will be the first time I actually use my Wii U in about a year(when Xenoblade X came out). I think the only time it has actually been on last year was when my nephew wanted to play Mario Kart heh.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I just don't see how this thing is any different than the Wii U, and we all saw how that turned out.

It's portable, which the WiiU wasn't, and it should sell way better than the WiiU did. The WiiU suffered from an identity crisis. No one knew what the fuck it was, or how it differed from the Wii. They have some really good games on the way for this system. If Nintendo gets full third party support, it will be a success. I still think missing the Christmas window was a colossal failure on their part.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I could go on and on with this. But I think everyone gets the point.

Yeah, the Nintendo defense force has gone full retard. Speaking of retards...

Make a new Megaman game. Sells 1 million copies at $50 each. $50 X 1 million= $50,000,000.
Make a new Ghouls n' Ghosts game. Sells 1 million copies at $50 each. $50 X 1 million= $50,000,000.
See how that works? The more games you make, the more money you make! Did your mom feed you paint chips when you were a kid?

God damn, you're either a ten year old with no concept of how this industry works or just stupid as shit. Here's a tip, don't spout the above nonsense after telling someone else they don't understand how business works.

Selling a million copies at $50 each doesn't earn Capcom anywhere close to $50 million dollars. You should educate yourself on the actual breakdown of where that money goes, because even if they develop and publish those games themselves they'd see less than half of that money, if they only publish it's more like a third. There is also a little thing called development cost, which further eats in to those magical profits you seem to think they'd earn. Developing a bunch of new games worthy of a $50 price tag and then selling only a million copies of each would be a total fucking disaster, and that's why it's never going to fucking happen.

I think the kind of person who ate paint chips as a child would also be the kind of person who buys a gaming console because of some fantasy they created in their heads based on absolutely nothing rooted in reality.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the Nintendo defense force has gone full retard. Speaking of retards...

God damn, you're either a ten year old with no concept of how this industry works or just stupid as shit. Here's a tip, don't spout the above nonsense after telling someone else they don't understand how business works.

Selling a million copies at $50 each doesn't earn Capcom anywhere close to $50 million dollars. You should educate yourself on the actual breakdown of where that money goes, because even if they develop and publish those games themselves they'd see less than half of that money, if they only publish it's more like a third. There is also a little thing called development cost, which further eats in to those magical profits you seem to think they'd earn. Developing a bunch of new games worthy of a $50 price tag and then selling only a million copies of each would be a total fucking disaster, and that's why it's never going to fucking happen.

I think the kind of person who ate paint chips as a child would also be the kind of person who buys a gaming console because of some fantasy they created in their heads based on absolutely nothing rooted in reality.

No, but Capcom making ten games or more for the system over the course of the console's life makes them hundreds of millions of dollars, you fucking moron.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
just cant get into MH at all - perhpas if it was was completely redone anew on a stronger system and didnt look like a PS1 game id be for it - but as it is now, its just meh.
Yeah, I tried to get into it but god damn it looks like a ps2 game. Honestly terrible. Couldn't get very far into Xeno chronicles either.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
You're joking, right? A Redskins fan is calling out Nintendo fans? At least Nintendo has had recent success. When was the last time the Redskins won anything? 30 years ago?

Well if you noticed, my avatar is a face palming Redskins logo. I am fully aware of how terrible they are and I accept that. I'm still a fan, but I don't spend a ton of money on Redskins merchandise or tickets because they are fucking terrible. You, however, continue to financially support Nintendo despite them being just as terrible as the Redskins.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
No, but Capcom making ten games or more for the system over the course of the console's life makes them hundreds of millions of dollars, you fucking moron.

Capcom isn't going to have the manpower to make ten AAA console games in the first place, so even if they somehow manage this unprecedented effort you seem to think is possible they'd be quick and dirty 2D remakes at a considerably lower price point. Second, they aren't going to drop everything and go Switch exclusive, so even if they could manage the load it wouldn't happen because they aren't going to neglect consoles that dwarf this machine in install base.

Basically, you are seriously fucking delusional if you think Capcom is going to resurrect ten IPs from your childhood and make hundreds of millions of dollars on this gamble of a console. But based on your reasoning for wanting this system in the first place we already knew that. Everything you've said in this thread since you stuck your foot in your mouth about Nintendo's IPs that weren't has been complete and total ignorant bullshit, you should just stop while you're behind.

Caeden

Nintendo has given zero indication that Switch is getting all the crap the 3DS has. Zero. So what good is portability?

I think the way to play Nintendo games is to skip every other console then grab all the remakes about midway in the life of the console.

My problem with Japanese games is the art style. Most seem to be on a heavy anime bent. I just flat out don't like it. I'm not saying everyone has to Skyrim or whatever, but sometimes it's just too Japanese.

Also, I'd honestly toss the same compaints at PS4/Xbone. Mid-cycle upgrades, few games exclusive from PC, paid online (albeit better interface), and games are typically pricier. I could build a PC for the cost of a PS4 and PS4 pro that tops the Pro back when PS4 first came out. I have my wow machine with an HDMI switcher so it can go to my Surround Sound rig with 60" tv or my 32" LED. Easy peasy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My bet is that they still have some 3ds games in the works and they don't want to kill off sales yet. If they actually do plan to keep supporting 3ds then the switch is going to fail.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
The 3DS availability has vanished recently. You can not buy a new one directly from Amazon now. They are definitely dropping the 3DS soon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly they dropped manufacturing of the 3DS while ramping up switch. Then they go and say 3ds is always going to be around when sole development for home and portable on the switch makes about 10000 times more sense. !

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Capcom isn't going to have the manpower to make ten AAA console games in the first place, so even if they somehow manage this unprecedented effort you seem to think is possible they'd be quick and dirty 2D remakes at a considerably lower price point. Second, they aren't going to drop everything and go Switch exclusive, so even if they could manage the load it wouldn't happen because they aren't going to neglect consoles that dwarf this machine in install base.

Basically, you are seriously fucking delusional if you think Capcom is going to resurrect ten IPs from your childhood and make hundreds of millions of dollars on this gamble of a console. But based on your reasoning for wanting this system in the first place we already knew that. Everything you've said in this thread since you stuck your foot in your mouth about Nintendo's IPs that weren't has been complete and total ignorant bullshit, you should just stop while you're behind.

You spend every day trolling me and posting in a thread about a console you don't want, and a company you don't like. How fucking stupid is that? Now, climb into bed, drink a tall glass of warm milk, and go fuck yourself.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
My bet is that they still have some 3ds games in the works and they don't want to kill off sales yet. If they actually do plan to keep supporting 3ds then the switch is going to fail.

Supposedly they dropped manufacturing of the 3DS while ramping up switch. Then they go and say 3ds is always going to be around when sole development for home and portable on the switch makes about 10000 times more sense. !

I think they are hedging their bets and the future of the 3DS will be determined by how well the Switch does. The better the Switch sells the shorter the life span of the 3DS and vice versa. I honestly don't see them killing off the 3DS until they know the Switch isn't another Wii U situation.

You spend every day trolling me and posting in a thread about a console you don't want, and a company you don't like. How fucking stupid is that? Now, climb into bed, drink a tall glass of warm milk, and go fuck yourself.

Wow, you are a sensitive little bitch. I quoted you two times in two days, which I am almost positive also happens to be the only times I've ever quoted you on these forums. But yeah, I'm "every day trolling" you...Lol.

As for not liking Nintendo, I loved Nintendo for a long time, they still have games I care about. The problem is they keep doing stupid shit, and I'm sorry it hurts your precious feelings when those of us who aren't lost cause fanboys call them on it. Go have a good cry and spoon your Mario body pillow, you'll feel better when you wake up.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think they are hedging their bets and the future of the 3DS will be determined by how well the Switch does. The better the Switch sells the shorter the life span of the 3DS and vice versa. I honestly don't see them killing off the 3DS until they know the Switch isn't another Wii U situation.

Wow, you are a sensitive little bitch. I quoted you two times in two days, which I am almost positive also happens to be the only times I've ever quoted you on these forums. But yeah, I'm "every day trolling" you...Lol.

As for not liking Nintendo, I loved Nintendo for a long time, they still have games I care about. The problem is they keep doing stupid shit, and I'm sorry it hurts your precious feelings when those of us who aren't lost cause fanboys call them on it. Go have a good cry and spoon your Mario body pillow, you'll feel better when you wake up.

I'm in no way a Nintendo fanboy. I haven't bought a console in over 10 years. I'm buying this one. I'm sorry $300 is more than you can afford. You must've made some really shitty decisions with your life.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The 3DS availability has vanished recently. You can not buy a new one directly from Amazon now. They are definitely dropping the 3DS soon.
I think this is highly due to the fact you can hack them in 30 minutes which then allows you to download games straight from the Nintendo servers just like you bought them.

You buy one 3DS and any game they have online you can have for life.