Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
One of the biggest gaming stores in Sweden just announced that Nintendo Switch has more preorders than PS4 did. So I guess the hype train is still going for Nintendo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Nintendo's greatest ally is the fact that all other consoles have become tiring to most people or they haven't been appealing to begin with. I think people just want something different and from what I have heard just in our local circles everyone really wants the portability. Thus far, with the exception of Zelda, playing some of their favorite games on the go has made a much greater impressing that I had given credit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
If I never bought a Wii U, would it be a better idea to wait out the switch or think about a refurb? Seems like the Switch is getting a pretty underwhelming response but is it actually worse than the U or just not really a huge improvement?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
At worst it will be a minor improvement and could be viewed as a Wii U Pro but w/ a different form factor.

Considering the Wii U + hack route myself, skipped it hoping to get the next console and it be backward compatible.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Jesus Christ. You know you are behind the 8-ball when you are announcing product that isn't even passed government clearances to tell yet that is supposed to sell in less than 6 weeks.

Hilarious.

What a rushed botch job.

This happens for literally every phone launched these days. Most just take pre-orders regardless because it's obvious it will get passed. See how you could already order the controller in Canada, UK, Japan, etc - FCC is just slow as dicks.

spronk

FPS noob
If I never bought a Wii U, would it be a better idea to wait out the switch or think about a refurb? Seems like the Switch is getting a pretty underwhelming response but is it actually worse than the U or just not really a huge improvement?

From a technical standpoint the switch is a MASSIVE improvement. They haven't released the account online details but presumably its going to be a portable, self-servicing system ala xbox/ps4/steam with cloud storage and all that good stuff. CPU/GPU wise its a massive improvement, basically double the performance (maybe a bit more) than the wii u. Its a more powerful Vita with better (imo) controllers than the vita. The system is nowhere close to a ps4/xbone in most areas, but it wins in one huge thing: its portable.

The problem is the software lineup right now is SUPER WEAK. Breath of the Wild (also on wii u) is the only game I'd consider top tier. Then you have casual gamer stuff like 1,2 Switch, Snipperclips, and Arms. Mario Kart 8 deluxe comes out in April. Then a bunch of basically indie steam/ps4 games like Disgaea, Raymand Legends, I am Setsuna, etc. The only big games we know are coming in 2017 are Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey and who knows if they will get delayed or not.

No doubt they will eventually port most of the wii u classic games, but you won't be playing Bayonetta, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X, Yoshi's Wooly World, Super Mario Maker, etc, etc in the first 3-4 months. There is no backwards compatibility, and the system doesn't seem like its going to launch with a virtual console emulator either - probably release that in the fall.

For what its worth my hacked wii u is 100% setup, took about 8 hours (6 of that just afk copying stuff) but I have 75 games now installed on the 1TB drive, pretty much every good Wii U game ever released. I also installed some cool mods, like for xenoblade you can install the original japanese costumes (skimpier), and I haven't even touched installing wii, snes, nes, etc games. Its a great portable system for me, can just unplug it and take it to my brothers house to play some local mario kart. I think i'll get way more use of this than a switch for at least a year or two. This is what the UI tool for downloading game looks like, you can see its a little over 1k games in the list:
http://i.imgur.com/ESuCkEi.jpg

Biggest surprise was how small mario maker is, its under a gig total size.

Last edited:

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm still firmly on the fence about finding a Wii U or just waiting for a Switch price drop later this year when it tanks.

I think I'm leaning Switch only because the last console I purchased was a pre-redesign PS3. Right now I've been playing a lot of SNES in a nostalgia kick. Chrono Trigger and Castlevania IV to be exact.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm still firmly on the fence about finding a Wii U or just waiting for a Switch price drop later this year when it tanks.

I think I'm leaning Switch only because the last console I purchased was a pre-redesign PS3. Right now I've been playing a lot of SNES in a nostalgia kick. Chrono Trigger and Castlevania IV to be exact.

Just wait until it tanks.

And none of these preorder sell outs mean anything. 75% of these are scalpers. Just head to ebay and check out all the price gouging already.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nintendo's greatest ally is the fact that all other consoles have become tiring to most people or they haven't been appealing to begin with.

I find this extremely difficult to believe. If other consoles are considered tiring, then Nintendo stuff should be that times ten.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
don't worry guys the Switch is getting LA Noire! 360 version of Skyrim, FIFA 17, and now LA Noire... leave some games for the rest of us, Nintendo!!

tweet.png

(LA Noire is getting a remaster for ps4/xbone this summer so switch is getting thrown in too, but still kinda funny)

• 1Smuggly

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The Joycons+Grip that comes with the console is supposedly really good. Probably hold off on the Pro controller for a few months until I need the D-pad.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

I love all the "I'll wait for a price drop" talk. It's not dropping in price for quite some time, and if you can't afford $300 at our age (most of us are 25-40 range) how fucking bad is your life?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think it's more a matter of this seems like gimmicky garbage that costs more than gimmicky garbage prices.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I love all the "I'll wait for a price drop" talk. It's not dropping in price for quite some time, and if you can't afford $300 at our age (most of us are 25-40 range) how fucking bad is your life?
1) It's not $300 out of the door and you know that. The cost of a full package can easily break $700.

2) It's not about the cost, it's about the value. The tech is not worth it.

3) If you really aren't a petulant child, you probably shouldn't criticise other adults for being responsible and saving money wherever they can. Even millionaires pinch pennies.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
3) If you really aren't a petulant child, you probably shouldn't criticise other adults for being responsible and saving money wherever they can.

4) Should not project your net worth on a message board with assumptions?

Even millionaires pinch pennies.

when it makes sense.