Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The $700 dollar claim seems pretty stupid though.

Not really.

$299 base + another set of controllers $80 + wheel pack $20 + charge grip $30 + mobile carry case $20 + mario kart / zelda $120

That's $570 without the $70 pro controller which all of us would probably get one or two of. That's over $700 for a full setup and two games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Not really.

$299 base + another set of controllers $80 + wheel pack $20 + charge grip $30 + mobile carry case $20 + mario kart / zelda $120

That's $570 without the $70 pro controller which all of us would probably get one or two of. That's over $700 for a full setup and two games.
Adding 2 games at full retail is pretty disengenous, that isn't really the cost of the console. If they released those two games on something else you would pay that too. Same with the $20 wheel pack.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's a real world example. I think it's realistic that most people buy 2-3 games at launch and if I got Mario Kart (which seems must-buy for most) my wife would 100% make me get a steering wheel.

Whether you agree or disagree with including games, the cost of the peripherals is ludicrous, and raises the true cost of entry much higher than it should be.

• 1Like

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
While the peripherals are overpriced, they're also optional for a lot of people. While I guess it depends on whether your spouse is a gamer or if you have kids,I found as an adult I rarely have friends over to play video games which means extra controllers aren't used.

For me I've haven't bought any accessories for WiiU or XboxOne /shrug

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I already own Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Shovel Knight. Snipperclips looks like a mobile game or some shit. Rime looks cool though. I think maybe it's an expectation thing. If you frame it like Ritley did, hey, that's not bad for a gaming tablet. For a console yeah, this is not great news.

Totally understand your point. However, for me, I never bought a Wii or a WiiU, so while I've played Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon at my friend's house on a few occasions, I never really got to play them fully for myself. Because of that, I'm looking to those games, as well as playing Zelda at release. I preordered Mario Kart which comes out in April, and I'm also looking forward to playing Has Been Heroes (scheduled for March release), Snipperclips, and Super Bomberman. That gives me plenty of games to play a month or two into the release of the system. Also, I fly out to St. Louis on March 15th, so it'll be perfect to bring along on the plane, and hook up in my hotel room (hopefully).

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
As long as the joycon+grip isn't bad, no real reason to get a pro controller for a bit anyways. Just going to wait and see how they feel

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
As long as the joycon+grip isn't bad, no real reason to get a pro controller for a bit anyways. Just going to wait and see how they feel

It brings your hands too close together. It is very bad design.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to wait and see how the joycon+grip feels. I'll probably wait until Smash or a fighting game comes out before I dive in and get a controller. I bought the Afterglows last time for Smash and they worked out pretty well. Saved me about $20 a controller.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I do have one but stuff like the ps4 pro is very sensitive when it comes to 4k, HDR, HDCP, etc and its not easy finding a switch that takes all that into effect. Especially with HDMI 2.1 coming out with essentially g-sync built in now. I'm currently using the Monoprice 4k 18gbs HDMI switch, but have it on the 4th HDMI port for any new devices I add.

When I tried it with my ps4 pro I'd notice a few times that HDR wouldn't switch on when I went from pc to ps4. Each directly connected to the TV switches HDR on/off correctly. Probably an issue with the TV more than the switch, but not really surprising.

yeah i keep meaning to finish ALBTW the problem is I quit the game at a point where it takes like 20 minutes to figure out where the fuck you are and what to do next, so by the time you fumble around for 5-10 mins you just feel like quitting again. Very Dark Souls-ish.

Don't you have a nice receiver with multiple source inputs? That can also pass through 4k?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's more about the combination of hand placement angle and distance. It might be shit, but I still want to try it out before dropping $70 on a controller. I doubt the pro controllers will be hard to get a month or two after launch. Maybe we will see some third party controllers that don't suck

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
You can still buy the neon controllers though, so it's not really a big deal.

I mean it's just color anyways so it is double not a big deal

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Keep trying to find a cheap used Wii U so I can play the new Zelda. Everyone wants 300+ from them, no idea what they're smoking.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They aren't being manufactured anymore, and the Switch doesn't have backwards comparability. That means people aren't going to get rid of their Wii U's - it will be a collector's item eventually.

You might be able to get a refurb one from Nintendo for ~$200 still.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I can get them from Amazon for that much, just figured I'd find one for 100 bucks from someone off CL.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Haven't tried it myself yet, obviously, but they were talking about this on IGN, and every one of them agreed that although it would seem like your hands would be too close together, it felt really comfortable and normal while using it.