Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I love all the "I'll wait for a price drop" talk. It's not dropping in price for quite some time, and if you can't afford $300 at our age (most of us are 25-40 range) how fucking bad is your life?
I am a Nintendo guy, I was pretty much on board until the presentation and full reveal. It isn't the money, it's like Lenas said, it's the value. Tons of money on peripherals, limited storage, limited power, almost no games (and the only good game in the foreseeable future is also coming out on a system I already own and with no noticeable difference in quality). So yeah, I can see myself paying like a couple of hundred bucks for this down the line assuming it matures well and provides a good platform. It's a disappointment, but I don't think I'm the bad guy for expecting more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I wish they would drop some word on the new Marvel vs. Capcom in terms of a Switch release. That would be an excellent game for the Switch as I associate most of the Capcom characters with Nintendo.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
millionaires might pinch pennies, but all their kids will have the switch on launch day. lol

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Value seems about right to me. $300 for a powerful gaming tablet, dock to connect externals and TV, and a controller. They should lower the cost of peripherals about $10 across the board, but that's my only pricing concern.

The $700 dollar claim seems pretty stupid though.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
They should slap the NES Classic software on the Switch and sell it as a 50 - 60 dollar separate game for launch. I'd love a portable NES with 30 classic games.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
They should slap the NES Classic software on the Switch and sell it as a 50 - 60 dollar separate game for launch. I'd love a portable NES with 30 classic games.
It's honestly just Nintendo stupidity that this isn't happening for launch. Doesn't even need to be software VC or anything, just put the games from the classic on a retail game and sell it like any other.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I am a Nintendo guy, I was pretty much on board until the presentation and full reveal. It isn't the money, it's like Lenas said, it's the value. Tons of money on peripherals, limited storage, limited power, almost no games (and the only good game in the foreseeable future is also coming out on a system I already own and with no noticeable difference in quality). So yeah, I can see myself paying like a couple of hundred bucks for this down the line assuming it matures well and provides a good platform. It's a disappointment, but I don't think I'm the bad guy for expecting more.

I'll agree with you on the cost of the peripherals, but $299 for a brand new console that is also portable (or vice versa) is not that bad. And the whole "only good game in the foreseeable future" is not just hyperbole, it's flat out bullshit. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out a month later, Splatoon 2 soon after that, Has Been Heroes, I am Setsuna, Rime, Shovel Knight, Snipperclips, Super Bomberman, etc... There may not be 100 games out for the system right away, but there are more than enough good games that will be available to justify buying the system.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah its not the money i paid $599 for a rift and i have the dumb ass touch controllers (another $200) which i haven't even setup. i buy stupid shit all the time and deeply regret it afterwards. It just seems obvious the switch is gonna fall into that category.

The dumb thing for me is valuable desktop space and HDMI slots. I only have one HDMI slot left on my TV, and thats used by a NES classic sometimes. I like to keep my office tidy, I already broke the rule and re-bought a wii u but the benefits far outweight the clutter (see the new wii u hack thread i made). For the switch, I'm not so sure. I'm not a huge zelda fan - I have a majoras mask 3DS XL but have yet to finish a link between time OR majora's mask, so do I really give a shit about a new open world zelda game?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'll agree with you on the cost of the peripherals, but $299 for a brand new console that is also portable (or vice versa) is not that bad. And the whole "only good game in the foreseeable future" is not just hyperbole, it's flat out bullshit. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out a month later, Splatoon 2 soon after that, Has Been Heroes, I am Setsuna, Rime, Shovel Knight, Snipperclips, Super Bomberman, etc... There may not be 100 games out for the system right away, but there are more than enough good games that will be available to justify buying the system.
I already own Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Shovel Knight. Snipperclips looks like a mobile game or some shit. Rime looks cool though. I think maybe it's an expectation thing. If you frame it like Ritley did, hey, that's not bad for a gaming tablet. For a console yeah, this is not great news.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I already own Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Shovel Knight. Snipperclips looks like a mobile game or some shit. Rime looks cool though. I think maybe it's an expectation thing. If you frame it like Ritley did, hey, that's not bad for a gaming tablet. For a console yeah, this is not great news.
And I fully agree that if you have no plans to use it as a mobile gaming device, then the switch is a poor offering. For $300 it doesn't compare to other stationary consoles. Which is why I think they should offer a stationary console at some point that is significantly cheaper for those that want to play Nintendo games but don't care about the mobile aspect. You'd think not having to have a screen, tablet chassis, battery, etc In a small form factor that they could offer a decently attractive price and still keep their profit margin

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The dumb thing for me is valuable desktop space and HDMI slots. I only have one HDMI slot left on my TV, and thats used by a NES classic sometimes. I like to keep my office tidy, I already broke the rule and re-bought a wii u but the benefits far outweight the clutter (see the new wii u hack thread i made). For the switch, I'm not so sure. I'm not a huge zelda fan - I have a majoras mask 3DS XL but have yet to finish a link between time OR majora's mask, so do I really give a shit about a new open world zelda game?

Why not just get an HDMI switch box for your consoles? I got one for like 20 bucks, has my PS3/PS4/Wii U on it - just press a button to switch between them.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
have yet to finish a link between time
Fag.

...Just kidding. But come on, dude. Nobody beat Majora's Mask, but Link Between Worlds you could beat in a couple of afternoons. Great ending, too.

spronk

FPS noob
Why not just get an HDMI switch box for your consoles? I got one for like 20 bucks, has my PS3/PS4/Wii U on it - just press a button to switch between them.

I do have one but stuff like the ps4 pro is very sensitive when it comes to 4k, HDR, HDCP, etc and its not easy finding a switch that takes all that into effect. Especially with HDMI 2.1 coming out with essentially g-sync built in now. I'm currently using the Monoprice 4k 18gbs HDMI switch, but have it on the 4th HDMI port for any new devices I add.

When I tried it with my ps4 pro I'd notice a few times that HDR wouldn't switch on when I went from pc to ps4. Each directly connected to the TV switches HDR on/off correctly. Probably an issue with the TV more than the switch, but not really surprising.

yeah i keep meaning to finish ALBTW the problem is I quit the game at a point where it takes like 20 minutes to figure out where the fuck you are and what to do next, so by the time you fumble around for 5-10 mins you just feel like quitting again. Very Dark Souls-ish.