Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Metroid is on the back burner all the time because it sells like dogshit. Even the best selling (Prime series) sold a fraction of what Mario, Zelda, or even games like Splatoon do. Same for F-zero and whatever other under represented Nintendo franchise you can name. They are a business after all.

Still, Retro hasn't released a game in 3 years (Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, great game), so I imagine they are working on a new 3D Metroid.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
There was a Nintendo Direct for upcoming Indie titles on the Switch today:

The full list from the image at the end, not all of these had trailers in the Direct though:

Rogue Trooper Redux
The Fall Part 2: Unbound
Treasurenauts
sU and the Quest for meaning
RIME
Zombie Vikings
Mr. Shifty
TowerFall Ascension
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
Thumper
Splasher
RIVE
Enter the Gungeon
Cave Story
NBA Playgrounds
1001 Spikes
Redout
Unbox: Newbie's Adventure
Graceful Explosion Machine
Pocket Rumble
SteamWorld Dig 2
Little Inferno
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Runner 3
Neuro Voider
Kingdom Two Crowns
Pankapu
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
The Binding of Issac Afterbirth +
Duck Game
World of Goo
Yooka-Laylee
The Escapists 2
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
Blaster Master Zero
Toe Jam & Earl: Back in the Groove
Space Dave!
Tumbleseed: A Rolly Roguelike
Terraria
Wargroove
Fast RMX
Has Been Heroes
Human Resource Machine
Gonner
Dandara
Flipping Death
Snake Pass
Stardew Valley
Celeste
Perception
Hollow Knight
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
WonderBoy and the Dragon's Trap
Shakedown Hawaii
Overcooked!
The Jack Box Party Pack 3
Hover: Revolt of Gamers
Away: Journey of the Unexpected
Portal Knights
State of Mind
The Next Penelope
Mutant Mudds
Battle Chef Brigade
Ittle Dew 2

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Metroid is on the back burner all the time because it sells like dogshit. Even the best selling (Prime series) sold a fraction of what Mario, Zelda, or even games like Splatoon do.

Well, it only sold about 200k less than Wind Waker on Gamecube. (Original Prime) 5th all time best selling game on Gamecube in 2002. Which also suffered from World Wide install base of only 21 million.

List of best-selling Nintendo GameCube video games - Wikipedia

Echos did only 800k.

Metroid Prime Corruption hit 1.31 million. Not taking into account the trilogy and Eshop sales on Wii U (Unknown)

Definitely less than Zelda and Mario and such, but when placed next to the majority of their first party games and 3rd party, it would always fall just under those particular launches but infinitely better than most releases.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's just not a popular IP in Japan, which is still a big chunk of Nintendo software sales even with their shrinking console market.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
There was a Nintendo Direct for upcoming Indie titles on the Switch today:

The full list from the image at the end, not all of these had trailers in the Direct though:

Rogue Trooper Redux
The Fall Part 2: Unbound
Treasurenauts
sU and the Quest for meaning
RIME
Zombie Vikings
Mr. Shifty
TowerFall Ascension
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas
Thumper
Splasher
RIVE
Enter the Gungeon
Cave Story
NBA Playgrounds
1001 Spikes
Redout
Unbox: Newbie's Adventure
Graceful Explosion Machine
Pocket Rumble
SteamWorld Dig 2
Little Inferno
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Runner 3
Neuro Voider
Kingdom Two Crowns
Pankapu
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
The Binding of Issac Afterbirth +
Duck Game
World of Goo
Yooka-Laylee
The Escapists 2
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
Blaster Master Zero
Toe Jam & Earl: Back in the Groove
Space Dave!
Tumbleseed: A Rolly Roguelike
Terraria
Wargroove
Fast RMX
Has Been Heroes
Human Resource Machine
Gonner
Dandara
Flipping Death
Snake Pass
Stardew Valley
Celeste
Perception
Hollow Knight
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
WonderBoy and the Dragon's Trap
Shakedown Hawaii
Overcooked!
The Jack Box Party Pack 3
Hover: Revolt of Gamers
Away: Journey of the Unexpected
Portal Knights
State of Mind
The Next Penelope
Mutant Mudds
Battle Chef Brigade
Ittle Dew 2

Damn, indies seem very on board. I'm okay with this.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just want to know what Atlus is making for it. And whether or not they will port everything they make to other consoles/PC now that there's no UI issues to deal with (single screen, unlike 3DS) and the system runs at a resolution that isn't a sad joke.

All I've heard so far are rumors that Strange Journey 2 is coming. Strange Journey on DS was a terrible game so that's worse than no news at all, if true.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked Strange Journey, but if you're going to ape Etrian Odyssey in a SMT game, do a better job. Like Persona Q!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
You are out of your fucking mind or trolling. Every feature that has been warped is known fact. Any app that isn't on the console is known fact. No VC until whenever they decide to come out with it is known fact. Keeping one game for a month (NES/SNES) but having to buy it after that month is a known fact. Unlike you I follow the facts instead of letting Pony Princess Fanboy guide my purchasing decisions. Do I think you are a moron? Yep. But it's your cash. Have fun with your broken rushed console I guess?

As far as the controllers, let me know the last time a Dual Shock 4, Dual Shock 3, Xbox Controller, Xbox Controller S, Xbox 360 controller, or Xbox One/Elite controller starting getting input lag in the 300ms range (This is documented with video wise ass) at 7 feet. The Xbox One has input delay if users use the HDMI pass through on the console, and Microsoft won't let people turn off post processing in the game console which renders game mode on the display useless. (Unless that has changed, that is one I do not follow)

I agree with you about the VC issues. There's no excuse for that. However, I'm certain it's an issue that will be resolved quickly, as it is going to generate a shit load of money for them, so I can't see them waiting very long to incorporate it. As far as your controller concerns, I call bullshit on that. Everything I've seen and read about the joy cons and pro controller said they are super responsive, that the HD rumble is simply amazing, and that the joy cons click very easily and solidly into the system with no issues, and detach just as easily. Now, you know I love you, UT, but you're starting to reach Trump level of paranoia about Nintendo. They're not out to rape your family and steal your job.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I agree with you about the VC issues. There's no excuse for that. However, I'm certain it's an issue that will be resolved quickly, as it is going to generate a shit load of money for them, so I can't see them waiting very long to incorporate it. As far as your controller concerns, I call bullshit on that. Everything I've seen and read about the joy cons and pro controller said they are super responsive, that the HD rumble is simply amazing, and that the joy cons click very easily and solidly into the system with no issues, and detach just as easily. Now, you know I love you, UT, but you're starting to reach Trump level of paranoia about Nintendo. They're not out to rape your family and steal your job.

Have you watched the videos of massive delay when seven feet away from the dock?

You should be buying a PS4 and horizon and prepare to shit your pants and what may be the best game ever made.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Have you watched the videos of massive delay when seven feet away from the dock?

You should be buying a PS4 and horizon and prepare to shit your pants and what may be the best game ever made.

Horizon can't be the best game ever made because Tetris is the best game ever made and that shit came out in 1989.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Have you watched the video where OJ Simpson couldn't put on a pair of his own gloves in the courtroom? People can make anything look bad if they want to. Doesn't make it the truth.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Theres a Kotaku review too that I'm too lazy to link

Biggest downside is the joycons have a lot of trouble staying connected when in TV mode. Also many fps dips.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Have you watched the video where OJ Simpson couldn't put on a pair of his own gloves in the courtroom? People can make anything look bad if they want to. Doesn't make it the truth.

Well, in the video I see a guy sitting 9 feet away from the Switch Dock and TV and can see the latency issues. (We are talking over 500ms here) tandum with the disconnects.

Everyone is going to find out in 2 days anyway. There wasn't any trickery, otherwise 15 gaming preview sites wouldn't have said the exact same thing. Along with a Nintendo line of "We are looking into it" while I find it odd they had everyone in shows and conferences playing about 3 feet from the screen.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Well, in the video I see a guy sitting 9 feet away from the Switch Dock and TV and can see the latency issues. (We are talking over 500ms here) tandum with the disconnects.

Everyone is going to find out in 2 days anyway. There wasn't any trickery, otherwise 15 gaming preview sites wouldn't have said the exact same thing. Along with a Nintendo line of "We are looking into it" while I find it odd they had everyone in shows and conferences playing about 3 feet from the screen.

I pick mine up tomorrow night, so I'll find out for myself pretty quickly. Hopefully, it's something that can be easily rectified.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I pick mine up tomorrow night, so I'll find out for myself pretty quickly. Hopefully, it's something that can be easily rectified.
Massive latency like that doesn't sound like something that can be fixed with a software update.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

if the joy con does not connect utnayan gets erect

i cancelled my switch but left my best buy BOTW Master edition pre order intact, its shipping today. i should make a youtube video where i blend the thing

also apparently nintendo and amazon are having a fight, amazon got 0 copies of BOTW Wii u so far from nintendo.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nintendo Switch Review In Progress - IGN

First review of the Switch. Guy is less than complimentary overall...

I would hand out a big I told you so here, but it's only one of many to come reviews in progress or otherwise.

But basically, this writer hit on every point. I hope for Metroid's 4 sake, they can fix some of those issues. But Nintendo is silent yet again on what is going to happen, and being that this thing launches in 2 days and this amount of bad press is surrounding it, you would think they had better come up with some PR quick.

Massive latency like that doesn't sound like something that can be fixed with a software update.

^^This.

It can't. And it won't be. It will need a hardware revision.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I've known for awhile that the system was going to be underpowered, much to my dismay. However, it's not as big of a deal for me now, as trying to make a portable console as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox1 would've pushed the cost of the device to somewhere around $1,000. It looks like the portable part of the system is pretty amazing, and I haven't had a portable system since the original Gameboy, so that at least will be worth the price of purchase (at least for me). I have my computer for powerful games, anyway. And I'll still get the Nintendo exclusives, like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, etc... so for $300, whatever. I've spent that much on a night out many times.