Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Bought a Switch for my boy (9yr old). The controllers and small screen are both better than I expected in terms of both build and usability.

I wouldn't rush to buy it though mainly because of price and what's included with the console game wise (nothing). Unless you have a burning desire to play Zelda wait for Mario Kart to launch or packages to start becoming available with games included. Mario is end April, I'd guess Christmas for bundles to show up at any decent discount.

One of the reasons Wii U did so poorly was the dev kit for it was so crap. I hear that's fixed with the Switch. All told I'm expecting this to be a hit over the next few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I think they gonna sell the screen part with better component in the future. Kinda like cell phone does. One with better component and larger screen maybe. When you think about it it's kinda easy to upgrade, keep your accesories and simply sell your old console.

also

http://kotaku.com/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night-is-now-a-nintendo-swi-1793513372

Yeah got my back email announcing that the other day... forgot what system I signed up for- I will have to go look at my survey lol

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Blah I caved and bought one. Traded my in two handheld I never use (N3DS/Vita) + a few Pokemon games for the Switch console plus Zelda so it did not cost me anything.

Thanks for all the replies :p

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Blah I caved and bought one. Traded my in two handheld I never use (N3DS/Vita) + a few Pokemon games for the Switch console plus Zelda so it did not cost me anything.

Thanks for all the replies :p

Well, that is one way to do it I guess :)

Have fun with Zelda though. Awesome game. Wow Gamestop is pulling out all the stops to sell this thing with trade in deals. Which isn't surprising given the large used game market this could create.

Sell or Trade In Video Games, Phones & Tablets | GameStop

Haha they are giving 60 for the Vita, 80 for the 3DS XL. So with the 50% more thing, 90 for the vita, 120 for my 3DS. That's $210. (No, I am not doing this... but I am curious if maybe I should do this to upgrade to a PS Pro.)

• 1Smuggly

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haha they are giving 60 for the Vita, 80 for the 3DS XL. So with the 50% more thing, 90 for the vita, 120 for my 3DS. That's $210. (No, I am not doing this... but I am curious if maybe I should do this to upgrade to a PS Pro.)

I dont have a single gamestore where I live, so the Swedish version of craigslist gave me 100 dollars for the Vita (old version and no games). N3DS XL + some games gave me 290 dollars :p suprisingly they both sold within 2-3 hours!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
50% more is for "tech" trades, which is just phones and tablets unless they've changed their policies recently.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I dont have a single gamestore where I live, so the Swedish version of craigslist gave me 100 dollars for the Vita (old version and no games). N3DS XL + some games gave me 290 dollars :p suprisingly they both sold within 2-3 hours!

That would probably be the way to do it then. I do not even know why I bought a Vita. :(

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
That would probably be the way to do it then. I do not even know why I bought a Vita. :(

I bought one for remote play to my PS4. Sadly the wifi on the old vita sucked hard and it has been collecting dust in my tech graveyard :rolleyes:

Spronk (Emperor of good deals) has inspired me to trade in some of my old Wii U & PS4 games. Might buy the pro controller or is the adapter + joy cons OK?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I bought one for remote play to my PS4. Sadly the wifi on the old vita sucked hard and it has been collecting dust in my tech graveyard :rolleyes:

Spronk (Emperor of good deals) has inspired me to trade in some of my old Wii U & PS4 games. Might buy the pro controller or is the adapter + joy cons OK?
The control scheme pretty much ruined it for remote play even when it worked flawlessly. Having to use regions of the touchscreen (front and back) as button replacements is no bueno.

Also the rear touchpad was just a horrible concept to begin with.

For the joycons, try them out for a bit. Pro controller will be better, but you may be OK using the joycons until you can find a decent deal on the pro

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I walked into a Gamestop today and they had a few behind the register, so I grabbed one of the god damn things.

So far I like it. The joycons/adapter feel perfectly fine to me. I have no immediate desire to rush out and buy another controller at all. The dock looks like shit. When playing in docked mode it's definitely one of the cheapest and unappealing looking consoles I've ever seen. I have it tucked away in the recesses of my entertainment center, so at least it's pretty much invisible.

I will say that after playing Zelda on the Wii U, I'm a bit surprised at how much better it looks on the Switch. The YouTube comparison videos don't do justice to the differences when playing both versions of the game on my 64" TV. Yeah, as expected it's a bit sharper with better aliasing, etc, but the contrast is also improved. The colors are richer and the game looks decently more dimensional on the Switch. I A/B'd them both for a good while (I'm not proud of myself for spending my free time this way) and the Wii U does look soft and muddy by comparison. That's not to say that it doesn't still look very good on a Wii U. Non-A/V nerds will likely never notice or care.

Overall, I'm not thrilled that I didn't wait for a sale, but I like it enough so far. I'm definitely excited for Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey later this year.

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Between Zelda, Mario Kart and Odyssey I'll be fine for the next year. The list of games I still need to finish on PC and other consoles is pretty ridiculous.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
My Switch arrived earlier today so I haven't had a chance to play around with it for a longer period of time, but my initial impressions:

1. It's so tiny! Not sure why I expected the size of the tablet and controllers to be a bit bigger.
2. Holding the Switch with the attached joy-cons is a bit on the heavy side, but I guess it's just something to get used to.
3. The operating system feels pretty bare bone so far, quick but not much to fiddle around with.
4. The Joycons attached to the plastic Joy-Con Grip feels very plastic and light. I have pretty small hands so grip is OK.
5. Played around a bit with the Zelda game and the frame rate is better then my Wii U, but again, need to see a few more areas.

Pretty happy so far :)

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Splatoon 2 stress test this weekend in one hour bursts. Can't recall the full schedule off the top of my head but noon to 1 and 8 to 9 (pst) are today's. Download was pretty small ~400 megs and the first one was surprisingly good team shooter.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My Switch arrived earlier today so I haven't had a chance to play around with it for a longer period of time, but my initial impressions:

1. It's so tiny! Not sure why I expected the size of the tablet and controllers to be a bit bigger.
2. Holding the Switch with the attached joy-cons is a bit on the heavy side, but I guess it's just something to get used to.
3. The operating system feels pretty bare bone so far, quick but not much to fiddle around with.
4. The Joycons attached to the plastic Joy-Con Grip feels very plastic and light. I have pretty small hands so grip is OK.
5. Played around a bit with the Zelda game and the frame rate is better then my Wii U, but again, need to see a few more areas.

Pretty happy so far :)

The Switch with both Joycons attached is less than a pound. If you think that's heavy, you should seriously look into a gym membership.