No Man's Sky

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I put in a couple of hours in last night. Game is exactly as I thought...3-D Starbound, but that is not a bad thing. It just amazes me the scale and polish of this game. If anyone is on the fence, buy it, they will keep making improvements and this is the perfect game (on the side) to fuck around for a few hours here and there.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Video above might be the wrong interview, the one I'm thinking of was at the E3 that Joel McHale was a part of, so maybe that was 2014.

Anyway, its one of them. Just watched the one I posted again and it didn't have the part I'm talking about, but I saw it yesterday or the day before posted in a thread on /v/ and watched it.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All they have to do is adding a greyed out multiplayer button to the menu and claim its still beeing developed. Todays gamers will accept that shit all to easy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There's really no good reason for them not to have overlapping lobby bubbles like Elite Dangerous.

They're just a small team and don't want to have to deal with it, I think.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Looks to me like he's exploring, collecting, crafting and trading!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Played last night for a few hours. I gathered some things on a red planet with little life to it. Got everything going on my DLC ship, launched off, started exploring another planet for a minute and some '?" POI's and named the planet after my wife (you guys would love this. She was sitting next to me doing some homework on her Mac on the couch downstairs.... I totally talked it up.. "Hey watch this I just named this planet after you. It will forever be your name and anyone that happens to see it will know I did it. Hundreds of years from now this name will live on in... in the name of our love!" ....

"That's nice honey"

Shot through the heart like Bon Jovi meeting Vlad the Impaler.

Anyway... After that I launched off the second planet and saw I had a couple things to do. So I went to the space station and it wanted me to build a hyperdrive, which I already had. Then it wanted me to make warp fuel. I saw the store was selling the antimatter, bought it, and made my fuel. I am docked at that space station now.... I read Kedwyn's post this morning about the blue print to make Antimatter.... Now I need to figure out where that is at because I would rather not blow 64,000 units every time to need to blast into another sector.

At any rate, I logged out of the game wanting to play more. I can see how it would get stale after a while but for right now, I am having a blast exploring planets and I haven't touched feeding things yet, finding more blue prints, exploring more, etc.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You can make 64k units just harvesting like 500 gold from a pillar or two and selling it. 10 minutes of work max if you're doing it right.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You can make 64k units just harvesting like 500 gold from a pillar or two and selling it. 10 minutes of work max if you're doing it right.

I am a republican spaceman. I work for my stuff and hoard my money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
One of my favorite themes of this game, whether it be intentional or not, is waste.

Everything about this game is a statement on waste in the universe

You have literally quadrillions of planets, full of beautiful scenery, interesting "life", sights and wonders unique and totally your own to behold and no one else's to see, and you're supposed to skip like 99% of it, stopping only to suck up the resources you require, to use the environment to your ends, and then cast the rest off as chaff.

Its a statement on the disposability of life in general. A bleak view where that which is most beautiful is also most worthy of being tossed in the trash.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Is there an end to the upgrading? Or is there just tons of sidegrades out there? That's my biggest worry. Within a few weeks of poopsocking you'll get fully upgraded and then what's the point.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I guess I don't understand the appeal then.

Yeah its a niche game. If you were a miner in Eve or Elite Dangerous, or you really like loading up Minecraft and just walking in a straight line to see what the terrain generator pops up, you're going to dig this game.

If all that stuff bores you to tears, or you've never done it, and find it completely disinteresting, then this game probably not for you.

Is there an end to the upgrading? Or is there just tons of sidegrades out there? That's my biggest worry. Within a few weeks of poopsocking you'll get fully upgraded and then what's the point.

I honestly have no idea. I assume there's an end point to upgrading, but its going to correspond with you getting to the center of the galaxy/universe/whatever the tangential "end game goal" is.

You could spend 90000000 hours on the first planet and barely upgrade anything and just become a bajillionnaire if you honestly wanted to.

The game is what you make of it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah its a niche game. If you were a miner in Eve or Elite Dangerous, or you really like loading up Minecraft and just walking in a straight line to see what the terrain generator pops up, you're going to dig this game.

If all that stuff bores you to tears, or you've never done it, and find it completely disinteresting, then this game probably not for you.

I honestly have no idea. I assume there's an end point to upgrading, but its going to correspond with you getting to the center of the galaxy/universe/whatever the tangential "end game goal" is.

You could spend 90000000 hours on the first planet and barely upgrade anything and just become a bajillionnaire if you honestly wanted to.

The game is what you make of it.
Yeah I had to see what the hype was all about. Different strokes type deal I guess, this literally gives me no boners. Seems like a fun game for the genre though, I see the appeal, just not for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I was commenting to my wife last night after playing it most of the day that I was surprised this game got picked up by Sony at all.

Its incredibly niche for what has become effectively a major triple A first party title.

Its great for the genre, whatever that genre would be called (Space Trucker sim?), its going to turn off a lot of people, but its going to hook a lot of people who go in expecting X, getting Y instead, and then sticking around long enough to decide that they actually do kinda dig Y after all.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quick question, since I don't want to get into a bad situation. I have a Hyperdrive, with what looks to be enough fuel for one jump, and story prompt wants me to do so..... but, I have not found/received the design to make a Hyperdrive OR to make Antimatter (which I would need to make another warp cell to power up the hyperdrive). I'd like try out going to a new system, but I'd not like getting stuck there because I can't craft antimatter, or because a new ship I want doesn't have a hyperdrive already.

I think my story progress is kinda wonky, during the encounter with the npc who rewarded me the antimatter, the text mentioned a Nada and Polo .. as if I had heard of them before, but I had not. So, do we get the design for antimatter / hyperdrive device after we make that first jump which the story wants us to do?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
From what I can gather, since I'm not past where you're at either and have faced the same situation, the Nada and Polo are one path forwards, the Atlas stuff is another. There's 3 paths.

I know that's obtuse and myopic but that's literally all I know. I've seen the message you're talking about, and I'm at the point you are, but I never progressed past it because I start farming shit and making money to have some credits saved up before leaving the first galaxy you start in.

So if you go towards the Nada and Polo path, maybe it starts to cut the other paths off.