No Man's Sky

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Ok, just rolled the game over to the next area. I am now in the "Hilbert Dimension"

I spent an hour visiting systems at the last point before the core and uploading them so you all should see discovered by NOT YOU when you get there since it's a shared universe amirite.

The last systems are 850 ish light years from the core, making a rather large area of systems that are the "final" ones.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well sure, that's what I'm doing. But where is the outrage this forum is known for? Why is everyone rolling over and just shrugging it off?

good question. if Brad McQuaid's name had been attached to this and otherwise everything else was the same, imagine the outrage. :)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Some of us are probably tired of letting the perfect get in the way of the good enough.

If they drop a couple substantial free updates, the people who already like this game will be happy.

The rest never will be.

Its pointless to get outraged over.

Same shit with fallout 4.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
But where is the outrage this forum is known for? Why is everyone rolling over and just shrugging it off?

You know what outrages me? Posts like this by ignorant people. Being ambitious isn't lying. I don't really give a shit what his motives are, he's an indie studio and I guarantee they didn't breeze through the process of creating this game. I didn't even keep up with the stories of this game and I don't know jack shit about Sean but I know enough about the real world to know they had some cool tech and were biting off more than they could chew.

Know why I bought the game? Cause the tech is fucking awesome. Know what the last indie game I bought was? Minecraft Beta... for $10 mind you... sure, not $60, but today's gaming market with micro-transactions is a whole lot different than when Minecraft Beta came out.

Know what I said before buying NMS?
This might be the first solo player game I buy since that awful Sim city game. PC version on Friday?

So without even researching this game and primarily only reading about it from the first 5 pages of this thread I knew it was a solo player game. People feeling deceived are just bemoaning their own stupidity.

What I expected from this forums is most people here are in their 30s-40s, have jobs, and don't fret over a few bucks. How many $60 piece of shit games have you bought in your lives by now? EverQuest was a fucking $10 per month subscription and I paid that shit for 5 fucking years when I was in my teenage years. You gotta be kidding me over this holier-than-thou attitude trying to "teach" some indie studio a "lesson".

In a world where micro-transactions suck $100s-$1000s for the dumbest shit, I gladly pay the $60 to support this game, the awesome tech, and the hope that it has as much upside that Minecraft had.

/rant off

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can someone help me out with how discovery and uploading works? I've found a pleasant, hospitable planet and decided to try to fully explore it. I'm not clear on a couple of things, though:

1) Recently, my progress seems to be stuck at 76%, even after I discovered a few more plants and minerals. What gives?
2) Above the list of thumbnails of items you have discovered, there is a list labeled "Records". Some of them are filled in, some are not. What are these? Are these why my progress is stuck at 76%?
3) There is a message saying "Upload blah blah for 325,000 units.". I can't click on it. Is this only clickable after I get 100%?
4) I see that I can also individually upload each discovery. Is that the way to do it or can you do it in a single batch?

In short, how does discovery work?

You might be missing the flying creatures and/or aquatic creatures. On the planets I've been, there seems to be at least a couple flying creatures, one of which is a total bitch to try and scan, best thing to do on those creatures is to kill it, then scan the corpse. You will get the completion reward automatically once you find all the creatures it wants, so look up in the sky and swim around in some bodies of water. I haven't seen any creatures that run around in caves yet.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Can someone help me out with how discovery and uploading works? I've found a pleasant, hospitable planet and decided to try to fully explore it. I'm not clear on a couple of things, though:

1) Recently, my progress seems to be stuck at 76%, even after I discovered a few more plants and minerals. What gives?
2) Above the list of thumbnails of items you have discovered, there is a list labeled "Records". Some of them are filled in, some are not. What are these? Are these why my progress is stuck at 76%?
3) There is a message saying "Upload blah blah for 325,000 units.". I can't click on it. Is this only clickable after I get 100%?
4) I see that I can also individually upload each discovery. Is that the way to do it or can you do it in a single batch?

In short, how does discovery work?

Plants and Minerals don't count toward the %, only creatures.
The ???????? are the creatures you haven't discovered, once you discover, the ???????? is replaced with the randomly generated name.
Name & Upload your creatures to increase the %
Once you get 100% you'll receive the 325,000 units.
If you just hold E and hover over all the discovers then it uploads instantly pretty much, but uses the randomly generated name.
I stopped naming discoveries after the 2nd planet.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I found a planet today with to-scale size butterflies that I could neither scan or kill. I literally think they were unkillable, I hit one with more than it would take for a sentinel kill. Scanning needs a serious fix for moving shit.

spronk

FPS noob
No Man's Sky complete
Zx0j6aD.jpg

Not too difficult trophy wise, the grind for 30 sols extreme was pretty dumb though just AFK in a cave for like 8 hours. 48 slots exo suit, 22 slot ship (LOL) and 20 slot multitool was my final config, really stopped visiting planets in the last 10 hours.

I ended up still 160k light years from the center, not close AT ALL and still dozens of jumps through black holes away.

I did 100% the atlas quest line, its pretty dumb but easy, ~10 atlas interface visits in total and the last 5-6 were auto mapped for me so took no time at all. Atlas questline sucks, spoilers for the final two things that happen for anyone curious

FbhFHzH.jpg

WVDzz93.jpg

yeah so the universe is a simulation (A GAME GET IT) and you're just a program. Nothing special happens if you make a star, you can just now see black holes on your star map which makes getting to the center easier, I guess.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having the worst luck on PC compared to PS4 in terms of getting upgraded tools / ships. All the planets I've visited so far, after the very first, have all offered up tools with one less slot than what I am using, same with ships (crashed), ships on stations are still random +/-.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
LOL I clicked the spoilers because I do not care about the ending, but holy cats they couldn't even be arsed to put some effort on that either.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

LOL I clicked the spoilers because I do not care about the ending, but holy cats they couldn't even be arsed to put some effort on that either.
I feel like a game like this having an ending at all, is antithetical to its base concept. I don't even know why you would put one in. Terraria got it right. A gateway boss, unlocking hard mode. Then sure bosses, and now even a "final" boss. But in no way is it even implied its a game ending. The boss outright even drops items.. to keep playing.

Better yet, would be a Dwarf fortress, etc type "dying is fun", where the challenge just keeps ramping up to the point, if not from external forces, just managing your own resources brings your own downfall, you inevitably lose control and winning is impossible.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You know what outrages me? Posts like this by ignorant people. Being ambitious isn't lying. I don't really give a shit what his motives are, he's an indie studio and I guarantee they didn't breeze through the process of creating this game. I didn't even keep up with the stories of this game and I don't know jack shit about Sean but I know enough about the real world to know they had some cool tech and were biting off more than they could chew.

OK, again... they weren't talking about things that they said MIGHT be in the game, or that they'd like to implement given time. They showed gameplay footage, they said X would be in the game. Come release, a bunch of advertised stuff is missing. They were ambitious, and clearly TOO ambitious, and that's a fine thing to be - but they aren't being even remotely honest or transparent about it. Fess up to your fucking customers about the product you actually have instead of coasting by on things you claimed would be there months ago that mysteriously vanished. There's nothing ignorant about asking for developers to own what they said in interviews and building up publicity for their game. There's no excuse for it. If it wasn't for people datamining shit in the PC version they would probably still claim a bunch of stuff not in the game is in there somewhere, you just haven't found it yet. Because that's exactly the tone they've had for forever. That's hypothetical scumbaggery though, and I'm angry at the real, concrete scumbaggery.

You even say you're supporting it partly because of neat tech. The tech is not even new - it's their own algorithm, but procedurally generated shit has been done for ages. They took something that's been around for years and threw it into a big empty sphere and it's somehow a fancy new thing? The game is, somewhat, unique in it's combination of generation, gameplay, design, etc. but it's not some miraculous new thing that will change the face of gaming.

I'm not saying people that bought the game are idiots and shouldn't enjoy it. I've said this a bunch already but you can enjoy something and still call out the people behind it for their bullshit. That is actually MORE impactful than non-customers yelling at them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
PC and PS4 patches are out. Supposedly more hardware support + better performance on lower spec PC's. PS4 patch is stability + some fixes.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PC patch is exactly the same as the last experimental one (#4) from yesterday, so if you opted in to that don't be surprised if you get nothing new from the official release track.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Fess up to your fucking customers about the product you actually have instead of coasting by on things you claimed would be there months ago that mysteriously vanished.

Only thing I see is people digging up old interviews and crap thinking it's in the game when all you have to do is read the CURRENT release doc on it. I went to the official website and based my purchase off that, this thread, and watching a few streams. Their website might be vague, but it certainly doesn't list anything that DOESN'T exist in the game.

You even say you're supporting it partly because of neat tech. The tech is not even new - it's their own algorithm, but procedurally generated shit has been done for ages.

I knew you would say this and that's why I called you ignorant. Procedural generation isn't new, but to do it with the scope they did and to have it PERSIST are all new challenges. Don't just read buzzwords and assume it's been done. Minecraft tech wasn't new either, but the scope and design were revolutionary.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I checked out the center and the Atlas completion and what a let down. I've lost my will to play the game now. I have over 60 hours played though so I got my money's worth out of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
My bet now is that DLC will all be paid. Think I've changed to just torrenting this when my new laptop gets here.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I got 10 or so hours in, upgraded my ship once, and think gaming ADD has set in with Madden out and other stuff going on. Will tinker with it on occasion I think, not as much as I thought I would (like the way I play 2-3 Rocket League games a night).

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Only thing I see is people digging up old interviews and crap thinking it's in the game when all you have to do is read the CURRENT release doc on it. I went to the official website and based my purchase off that, this thread, and watching a few streams. Their website might be vague, but it certainly doesn't list anything that DOESN'T exist in the game.

I knew you would say this and that's why I called you ignorant. Procedural generation isn't new, but to do it with the scope they did and to have it PERSIST are all new challenges. Don't just read buzzwords and assume it's been done. Minecraft tech wasn't new either, but the scope and design were revolutionary.

Infinite scope (or nearly infinite, NMS isn't technically infinite) and persistence have been done in games before. What's unique about NMS is the presentation of it, and presumably the "sharing" of discovered named things, which I don't believe has been done before.

So you would be 100% OK with a company, small or not, that spent years going on big media campaign talking about features of their product, SHOWING features of their product, as close to the public release of that product as one month, that the product did not have? Just because the product is good enough and their actual release notes never mention the stuff they advertised? Game devs have been torn to pieces for significantly less affront than that, as have companies that make physical things. Not to mention they clearly made an effort to drive pre-sales which are based on the things they say at the same (again, things not in the release) as opposed to the release docs at release. You can blame people for pre-ordering, sure, but pre-ordering on things the devs say and show in-game and then aren't delivered... that's not the consumers' fault.

I get that you waited basically until release, bought the game based on release notes and videos, and enjoy it for what it is. But that is ignoring the experience of tens of thousands of other people that Sean Murray and co. actively tried to hype up and buy the same thing as you under false pretenses. If your experience was everyone's, it would be hard to complain about the bullshit, but tons of people got sold on something that is not what they received. And because it's a video game, and gamers are getting used to this, fucking nothing is happening. Again.

If I bought a car the day it was available, based on nothing but the specs on the window sticker, and enjoyed the hell out of that car, I would still be pissed if I found out the company had spent years touting how sexy this car would be and how it would have these dozens of great, new features and took loads of pre-sales for the car and then the car came out and that shit was missing. Yes I didn't know about it, yes I don't miss it because I didn't know in the first place, but that would still taint the fuck out of that company and I would certainly want honest answers and reconsider doing business with them again.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Only thing I see is people digging up old interviews and crap thinking it's in the game when all you have to do is read the CURRENT release doc on it.

Luckily for Amzin's point, and unluckily for Hello games or your bullshit apologetic BS we don't put up with here, someone was so pissed off they constructed a 100% compilation of what was said to be in game directly from the designers, as well as in game footage shown in videos throughout the course of it's dev cycle, in foot notes next to the explanations to show where they received that information from to call out the BS.

Now, I bought it. I play it from time to time as a time waster. I look at some of the videos shown and know that the game would have been a million times better with the features they touted would be in release before they went dark (Cover up) as they cut the shit out of the game because they couldn't get it to work correctly. Hopefully they patch that in (For Free as they also said they would do since Sean Murray said there would also be no paid for DLC) at a later date.

Welcome to rererolled from rerolled from foh. Here we call a King of Hearts a King of Hearts, and we don't call a weed a rose. The truth is what we talk about, and that industry scapegoat shit doesn't work here. We all know the truth.

• 2Like