No Man's Sky

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Hey the game isn't perfect. I'd like to see a lot of things different and it caters to a certain market segment that is a bit narrow IMO. I just think a lot of the complaints are ticky tack bull shit like "the freighters don't move!"

They should of fleshed out the factions better. No doubt, valid complaint.

I'd like to see physics on the planets. No doubt, valid complaint.

I'd love some co-op. Valid complaint.

I think the feel of combat is pretty weak overall. Especially on PS4.

That said, we knew what was coming well before sale hit. If anything the hype for this game was quite negative most everywhere. I think it exceeded the low expectations but didn't meet maybe what they were trying to pull off 2 years ago.

The Internet has anger issues and needs to take a shit or find some real world problems.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't think in its current state it's worth 60$ but I've spent over 20 hours in it so far and I'm not done yet or even have done the main "story" (have been busy) and I've played AAA titles worth 60$ for 6 hours of gameplay. So I guess if that shit metric is anything to go off of, I got my moneys worth.

This is going to be a game that continuously go back to every so often over the next few years I imagine. Actually being multiplayer would make me play it way more so I could go play with friends like we planned to do, that's the only thing I'm upset over. The hype for this game was unreal and people set unreal expectations for it and its their own fault for 90% of complaints.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't really care about a game not living up to hype, they almost never do. I don't care if you vastly overcharge for a game or not, the price is subjective. But I get pretty pissed about companies and devs outright lying to consumers and getting away with it because of attitudes like "that was just hype" or "it's just niche". There WAS bullshit hype and it IS niche but they still fucking lied on top of that and are being rewarded by people defending them and paying an inflated price for a deflated game.

Empyrion and Minecraft are the closest analogy games I can think of to compare to NMS, let's say. Empyrion I bought last year during the fall or winter sale, and played a whole bunch. It was (and still is) in early access, and they've had a fairly significant patch with content and features every month since I purchased it for like... $13? And I would argue it already HAD the same amount of features (just different ones in a lot of cases) as NMS, and they've added to it. They post regularly about shit as it gets added to the game and explain when things don't make the cut and why. If they add random planets/systems as an option it'll just make NMS look that much more laughable. It's jankier, to be sure, but they are still ACTUALLY in alpha.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That said, we knew what was coming well before sale hit. If anything the hype for this game was quite negative most everywhere. I think it exceeded the low expectations but didn't meet maybe what they were trying to pull off 2 years ago.

The Internet has anger issues and needs to take a shit or find some real world problems.

This, pretty much.

I don't pay attention to hype. I don't pay attention to people feeling misled. Mostly thats on them for caring too much.

". There WAS bullshit hype and it IS niche but they still fucking lied on top of that and are being rewarded by people defending them and paying an inflated price for a deflated game.

Most of the time when Sean Murray was asked, for instance, about multiplayer he would sort of look down, mumble a little, and then try to change topics.

Most of the hype was invented in people's minds. That reddit post was a good post mortem on that. People creating connections that weren't there, which raised their expectations astronomically.

The only thing you needed to do to know whether this game was for you or not pre-release was watch one of the streams I linked, or that were popping up elsewhere. It showed all the core gameplay. Period. It was clear as day. Their promotional videos and trailers before launch never even came close to mentioning multiplayer or whatever.

What happened here is people created a fictional No Man's Sky in their minds that reality could never possibly match.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
One other thing, this was $60. Maybe its a little lite on content. However I've put in about 40 hour exploring. I'll probably put in double that before I shelf it for a bit and I'll certainly pick it back up again. The DLC is supposed to be free. So I do expect some updates.

I'll get 80 hours out of this easy. Sure, it is repetitive. So was EQ. So are a lot of games when you boil them down. I can't tell you the number of hours I put into COD death match and the 6 maps or whatever it was for half a year.

Anyway, there is a no DRM torrentable game out there for people to check out. Steam has a refund policy. If you bought into the hype (lul what hype people were negative on this bitch right up to release) and didn't check it out it's your own fucking fault. Go find a mirror.

It's not that great but it really isn't that bad.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm only 3 trophies away from platinum now - kill 80 ships, kill 80 sentinals, and finally get 80 sols in extreme weather on the same planet. so today my PS4 is on all day, while I am afk in a cave on an extreme planet. Like 8 hours of that. Every 1-2 hours I have to refill my life support with platinum.

"No Man's Sky"

I am glad they didn't tie the plat at all to atlas or center of the universe, I wouldn't even bother finishing it out if that was true. Gonna trade the game in this weekend after I get these 3 trophies. Don't regret buying/playing the game, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone especially @ $60. It does feel like if you are the autistic kind of gamer who likes to collect all the pets in wow or get every exotic in destiny, the collectathons in NMS may soothe your soul for a time.

• 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I've gotten like 40 hours easy out of this game and I only need a couple more trophies. Totally was worth the money. I played sfv, overwatch, sc2 less than this game and paid the same for all of them.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I have 24 hours on it. I am in a good place about the time/money spent, just really wish the stuff had not been cut.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
If they actually develop the game further, I can see it picking up in popularity to be honest.

spronk

FPS noob
its too bad sentient life is so... primitive... in this game, it would have been amazing to run into a city or something with farms, roads, shops, etc instead of these dumbfuck little shacks everywhere.

or to be able to set up a monolith or something around animals, warp out for a while, come back, and see animals evolving

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah my biggest complaint is the obviously advanced races that apparently have no homeworlds or cities. Or females.

Just checked, 2 survival and 1 warping achievement left. Survival is just an AFK fest. This is going to be the first game I've gotten platinum on.

• 2Like

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The factions were a real disappointment. There is a part of the game where the Vyken or whatever they are called are trying to nuke, IIRC, the gek. You have to choose how it unfolds in some way on this distant planet by giving supplies to support or telling them no thank you. Doesn't make much sense giving supplies on a planet 1k LY away helping a ship out in space but whatever.

You can see that there were deeper interaction planned for factions and it just didn't make it. I wish you had to pick, had clear systems marked in the map as being affiliated with one side or the other and being forced to deal with some serious shit entering the enemy's system. I just don't think the combat itself is fleshed out enough control wise or in detail for something like that to work well. However a solid faction system would of made the game a bit harder and more interesting. Especially early on when you can't just skip systems.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Well think I'll only get this game on a 75% sale after reading that long list on reddit of features they showed/talked about being in the game that are not in it at release. Along with the fact Sean just decided that they might be charging for DLC....8 days after he said it would all be free.

• 1Solidarity

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most of the time when Sean Murray was asked, for instance, about multiplayer he would sort of look down, mumble a little, and then try to change topics.

Most of the hype was invented in people's minds. That reddit post was a good post mortem on that. People creating connections that weren't there, which raised their expectations astronomically.

The only thing you needed to do to know whether this game was for you or not pre-release was watch one of the streams I linked, or that were popping up elsewhere. It showed all the core gameplay. Period. It was clear as day. Their promotional videos and trailers before launch never even came close to mentioning multiplayer or whatever.

What happened here is people created a fictional No Man's Sky in their minds that reality could never possibly match.

This is the "getting away with it" stuff that bugs me. It doesn't matter if he said things half-heartedly, he REPEATEDLY SAID THEM OUT LOUD IN INTERVIEWS AS FACTS. And it was lies. It doesn't matter what extra hype people through on there, they said there would be multiplayer, then they said minimal multiplayer, and in release there's not even that. It's been out for over a week now and it's been confirmed by players digging through Wireshark and experimenting and they still haven't admitted anything was wrong about what they said. And while multiplayer was only ever going to be a tiny part of the game, the game is covered in that same bullshit through and through. Factions were shown to have more depth previously, other ships in space were more numerous, there's just a ton of stuff missing that they are essentially pretending they never showed or talked about, but they did.

Again, it's great if people are getting $60 worth out of the game - but companies shouldn't be able to just make shit up, advertise things that aren't in the product, and then not get called out or punished for it. Personally I didn't pay much attention to the early videos or the hype about the game - I didn't pre-order it and still haven't picked it up and don't think I will if their attitudes don't change. If GM talked up a bunch of features in their upcoming 2018 cars, then showed footage of those cars doing things, then the cars hit the market and are missing a lot of the things they advertised and talked up, they would get slammed into the ground. But there's precedent for game companies getting away with it and so people are just letting it slide, again. Same problem with hugely glitchy or problematic launches... it became so common, people just accepted it, and NMS launched and was unplayable for like 20% of the people and Sean blamed them for old drivers and not having the hardware, meanwhile they released a patch that shockingly made it work better, almost like it wasn't everyone else's fault in the first place. It's bullshit and it's pretty obviously bullshit.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So don't buy it if it bothers you bro.

Vote with your wallet.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do don't buy it if it bothers you bro.

Vote with your wallet.

Well sure, that's what I'm doing. But where is the outrage this forum is known for? Why is everyone rolling over and just shrugging it off? There's so many indie games that build up hype and deliver as promised. It's possible to enjoy the game and still be pissed at the people behind it for being dickheads, but that doesn't seem to be happening at all. Hell I would probably enjoy the game if I played it, but I don't want to encourage this fuckery. Hell most AAA games get overhyped and still deliver closer to promised than NMS. People ripped Arkham Knight to shreds for performance issues but at least it fucking had all the gameplay they advertised, and you didn't have to restart the game every time you changed a setting.

Trying to look objectively at NMS release, it's one of the worst offenders in the past few years of bullshitting the consumers, but everyone that is criticizing it is getting lumped into a group of crazy cult-level-hype-train-riders. There is negative press about the game but it's not gaining much traction because hey guys, it was all just your own hype. Except people start providing evidence that it wasn't just hype, and even THAT gets shrugged off as not legitimate. Fun as the game might be, it's a terrible thing for consumers, and gamers in general are already shafted more than a lot of other groups. I would think one of the biggest false-promises release in gaming history would actually effect the developer in some way in the age of everything is recorded and people are sued at the drop of a hat on their foot.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I just want to post some quotes from Mean Surray since that seems all the rage.

I ask how these core loops and progressions work in relation to other players being present in the galaxy. Will there be any scope for interaction? A sense of community?

“No. We really try to play that down, I think. And you’ve said about us playing down the hype, right?” says Murray. “We could sell that aspect of it and it’s a very appealing thing – it’s a giant MMO! – but it’s not. Even if it is, it’s a terrible one. It’s a really terrible multiplayer game. If you want that experience, if you want deathmatch and that MMO progression there are so many more better games for that."

"So yeah, it's a unique journey, but it is within a shared universe. The chances of you meeting up with your friends are zero, pretty much. But, we are all in the same universe, and if two players were to fly to the exact same planet in the exact same place then they'd see the same thing.“

"I guess we've always downplayed multiplayer because it's not really a multiplayer game. Actually, the experience is reasonably solitary. But we want you to feel like you're playing in a shared universe, and I think it's important to have those moments.“

"If you built a whole universe--or 18 quintillion planets, or whatever--it's actually impossible for that to not have some things that repeat, right? [...] Are they going to say, "Oh no, I never want to see two leaf shapes that are the same," or whatever? Because there's only so many different shapes in the world. There's only so many different colors and things like that. If you went and explored our universe you'd find a whole load of things that repeat.“

• 2Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I've been waiting for HL3 for 10 years now and that game has some sort of insane cult following and mythos around it (including myself who is always in the Half-Life subreddit)

and seeing people say things like "Everyone hyping the game up this much are just going to be disappointed", I used to disagree to an extent.. but after seeing the launch of this game, LMAO

• 1Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
holy shit am I bad at space combat, I mean comically bad. Don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong seems to always be 3 or 4 ships that are much faster than me turn faster than me and I'm dead by or around the time i kill the first one.

spronk

FPS noob
FOV on console makes space combat stupid, by the time you figure out where the fuck a ship is its already off your screen. I find the pea shooter (vs beams) better slightly, also get used to recharging your shields via the comically bad method of accessing inventory (touchpad ps4), going to shield, hitting charge, then selecting some titanium/zinc/etc. hope you brought on board a TON of mats, cuz it takes like 250 of an item to recharge the shield. I don't think there is even a mod to auto recharge damp shields, is there?

Anyways filling up your ship with all the gun and shield mods will make your ship much more badass. Also its not really documented anywhere I think but you want to link mods together to build up bonuses - ie defense matrix sigma, tau, and theta right next to each other stack on your ship and provide extra shields, same with weapons and stuff. they get highlighted with yellow boxes around them if they are correctly stacked.

that said there really isn't much reason to do space combat, you can warp before ships reach you if you are fast enough, and even if you completely fuck up and die to space pirates, just reload your previous save and you will have all your items in your inventory from your last save point PLUS a dupe of everything in your ship in space at your corpse point, with no repairs needed.

• 1Like