[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well he wasn't arrested for murdering the people who did, so I think he did a poor job as director.

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
Feien;733673 said:
Rian Johnson Directing Next Two Movies?

Not a bad choice actually, but I really wish he wasnt directing BOTH Star Wars movies. Would have been awesome to have a different director direct each installment. This probably means Johnson will be shooting XIII & IX back to back ALA Lord Of The Rings. Just a guess though. Disney wants to avoid any significant production delays. Officially the budget for VII is an est. $200 million but Disney is willing to spend whatever is necessary to get the franchise back on track. Worldwide box office expectations are $750m to more than $1 billion for each new Star Wars film.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I hope they try to maintain some consistency with the ragtag element of 4-6 despite having beaten the empire. Shit shouldn't be as posh as it was in episode 1.

In the novels, which are now so much fluff, the empire lived on as a rump state along the edge of the galaxy, and that seems plausible. The story switched to fighting imperial revivalists and political malcontents in the new republic, not so unlike the trade federation in episode 1.

Column_sl

shitlord
Main thing that bothers me, besides a shifting creative team, is the new director is super green when it comes to a large ensemble movie like this. He hasn't even cut his teeth in the TV realm.

Even George made Graffiti before star wars, so he was already used to a large cast with multiple problems.
I have a feeling this new director is going to bend over backwards to please the studio.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even George made Graffiti before star wars, so he was already used to a large cast with multiple problems.
George Lucas direction was never any good, he got second guessed hardcore during A New Hope and then delegated ESB and ROTJ to Kerschner and Marquand. He directed prequels, which are still nowadays a basic 101 bad actor direction book. Lucas created a nice franchise and sell it cleverly, but he's a shitty filmmaker.

Column_sl

shitlord
Lucas created a nice franchise and sell it cleverly, but he's a shitty filmmaker.
Not this argument again /rolls eyes

The guy has THX, Bridge, and Star Wars to his name. He is a film legend. Every major director respects the guy.
If you watch his unauthorized documentary he was a prodigy. Every artist peaks, George just had this happen really early in his career.

I'm sorry he ruined your nerd childhood, but only an un educated person that knows nothing about film making would ever call George a shitty film maker.

Arakkis

N00b
un educated
George Lucas is a shitty filmmaker. All of the original Star Wars actors have talked about how they basically got no direction from him.

"The actors found George Lucas to be very uncommunicative towards them, with his only directions generally being either "faster" or "more intense". At one point, when he temporarily lost his voice, the crew provided him with a board with just those three words written on it."

Star Wars (1977) - Trivia - IMDb

EpVII still a year away and people are speculating about IX
Yeah well look what happened the last three times we were hands off on the making of the movies. We really need to supervise the creation of these films better.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
After watching the so called "prequels" and knowing wtf he wanted to do with indiana jones throughout the 4 movies (the last one was his idea of course), i can honestly say he didn't create anything in star wars.maybe some characters (names,ages,relationships) but overall the whole story was made by someone else.
ffs how can you create something appealing and memorable and then so much trash?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not this argument again /rolls eyes

The guy has THX, Bridge, and Star Wars to his name. He is a film legend. Every major director respects the guy.
If you watch his unauthorized documentary he was a prodigy. Every artist peaks, George just had this happen really early in his career.

I'm sorry he ruined your nerd childhood, but only an un educated person that knows nothing about film making would ever call George a shitty film maker.
I'm sorry if my post upset you, by shitty filmmaker I meant bad movie director. Both THX-1138 and American Graffiti are cult movies but they're far from being legendary. Lucas is well known for Star Wars, and you can draw a chart where whether Lucas is involved in movie direction / writing / script or not, the movie quality suffers from his involvement. Empire Strikes Back is the most acclaimed SW movie of all time, and Lucas had little to do with it. He did direction, writing and script of the prequels and it's basically a 101 bad director book with awful writing, lazy filming and AWOL actor direction. George Lucas is a talented producer, a clever businessman and he created the legendary SW lore, but he should have stayed away from actual moviemaking.

Column_sl

shitlord
George Lucas is a shitty filmmaker. All of the original Star Wars actors have talked about how they basically got no direction from him.

"The actors found George Lucas to be very uncommunicative towards them, with his only directions generally being either "faster" or "more intense". At one point, when he temporarily lost his voice, the crew provided him with a board with just those three words written on it."

Star Wars (1977) - Trivia - IMDb

Yeah well look what happened the last three times we were hands off on the making of the movies. We really need to supervise the creation of these films better.
Yes, because an actors comments are the one that determine what good films are. Do you even read what you write?
His directing style produced 3 amazing films, can't argue with that success. There is no blueprint for good direction it's only the end product that counts

The guy has made 6 films, out of the 6 films,3 of them are considered classics.

A film maker could even wish for one film on the caliber of those 3 films in their lifetime.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm sorry if my post upset you, by shitty filmmaker I meant bad movie director. Both THX-1138 and American Graffiti are cult movies but they're far from being legendary. Lucas is well known for Star Wars, and you can draw a chart where whether Lucas is involved in movie direction / writing / script or not, the movie quality suffers from his involvement. Empire Strikes Back is the most acclaimed SW movie of all time, and Lucas had little to do with it. He did direction, writing and script of the prequels and it's basically a 101 bad director book with awful writing, lazy filming and AWOL actor direction. George Lucas is a talented producer, a clever businessman and he created the legendary SW lore, but he should have stayed away from actual moviemaking.
The end product of a director is to make a good film. There is no one in there right mind who would say THX, Graffiti, and Star Wars were bad films.
They would be in the Criterion collection right now if Lucas would allow it.

Like I said you have no clue what you are talking about. You are equating 3 films he made when he wasn't in his prime to 3 films he made in his prime.
Be like criticizing a famous band for coming back after 20 years because they sound nothing like they did when they started.

You just sound like a star wars fanboy ( you can really tell with that Empire comment), and seem to know nothing about film.

Column_sl

shitlord
After watching the so called "prequels" and knowing wtf he wanted to do with indiana jones throughout the 4 movies (the last one was his idea of course), i can honestly say he didn't create anything in star wars.maybe some characters (names,ages,relationships) but overall the whole story was made by someone else.
Star Wars is his love letter to Akira Kurosawa, it's blatant.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The end product of a director is to make a good film. There is no one in there right mind who would say THX, Graffiti, and Star Wars were bad films.
They would be in the Criterion collection right now if Lucas would allow it.

Like I said you have no clue what you are talking about. You are equating 3 films he made when he wasn't in his prime to 3 films he made in his prime.
Be like criticizing a famous band for coming back after 20 years because they sound nothing like they did when they started.

You just sound like a star wars fanboy, and seem to know nothing about film.
Well I'm not really a Star Wars enthusiast therefore I wont't get mad over other people's opinions. I loved Empire Strikes Back tho, it had a lot of strong scenes and the story was interesting. I wouldn't say Lucas' first movies are bad, but I don't think they're top notch either. By the way I don't really understand how criticizing Lucas would turn me into a Star Wars fanboy, if you can explain your point I'd very much like to hear your opinion, only I'd ask you to calm yourself, while this is a passionate topic there is no need to be judgemental.

Column_sl

shitlord
Well I'm not really a Star Wars enthusiast therefore I wont't get mad over other people's opinions. I loved Empire Strikes Back tho, it had a lot of strong scenes and the story was interesting. I wouldn't say Lucas' first movies are bad, but I don't think they're top notch either. By the way I don't really understand how criticizing Lucas would turn me into a Star Wars fanboy, if you can explain your point I'd very much like to hear your opinion, only I'd ask you to calm yourself, while this is a passionate topic there is no need to be judgemental.
LOL listen to you. Trying that passive aggressive shit on me. Stop hiding behind sub text, and say what you mean.
The way I can tell you are a StarWars fanboy is everything you said has revolved around those films, and not the Film Maker himself.

If you notice when I post I talk about him as a person who makes films because that is all I am interested in. I'm a film fan not a star wars IP fan.

If you don't think Bridge, and THX aren't top notch we have nothing left to talk about. I would advise watching those films again as homework.

Arakkis

N00b
LOL listen to you. Trying that passive aggressive shit on me. Stop hiding behind sub text, and say what you mean.
The way I can tell you are a StarWars fanboy is everything you said has revolved around those films, and not the Film Maker himself.

If you notice when I post I talk about him as a person who makes films because that is all I am interested in. I'm a film fan not a star wars IP fan.

If you don't think Bridge, and THX aren't top notch we have nothing left to talk about. I would advise watching those films again as homework.
There is no film that Lucas directed called Bridge, so I'm assuming you made it up. THC 1234 is like a terrible indie film rip off of 1984.

Column_sl

shitlord
/yawn my nickname for american graffiti is Bridge much like your un-clever nickname for THX as THC equating it to a drug film. That is slang for graffiti in tagging because of the popularity of graffiti on american bridges
Even Bondurant can put that together, sorry if everything needs to be spelled out for you like a child. I can see why these movies aren't your cup of tea.

Also every movie is a rip off of something else, try harder please... Even 1984 is loosely based off of Jack London's The Iron Heel
Dystopian films are pretty much a sub genre of Science Fiction at this point.

If you really think THX , or should I say THX 1138 so your struggling mind doesn't think I'm talking about the sound standard, was a bad movie just turn in your movie card now, and I congratulate you on making Michael bay a millionaire.

BTW that indie movie scored 92% among critics ( people that own a degree in Film),Has made multiple top 50 Sci Fi lists, and made Robert Duvall's career. For a movie he pretty much made from his college demo that is pretty damn good for any artist.

I will end on this, everyone can criticize Lucas for trying to make a comeback after a 25 year layoff from film because almost no artist has been able to reproduce the magic of when they were at the peak of their careers. What you can not criticize is that he is highly esteemed film maker in the film community creating 3 classics before most of this board was even born, and that's not even touching his multiple contributions to film as a whole outside of directing.