One Piece

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I just had an old friend of mine who has never had ANY exposure to One Piece watch the first episode of this and describe it as...

"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World.... WITH PIRATES!"

And I can't disagree with that as a synopsis of all of One Piece.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I just think of how insane even basic shit like Chopper would work, or the absurd tom and jerry shit of today.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just think of how insane even basic shit like Chopper would work, or the absurd tom and jerry shit of today.
The real question is how many future characters get converted to jogs.

My predictions

1. Brook
2. Robin
3. Jimbei

Judt from the crew alone.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

My predictions

1. Brook
2. Robin
3. Jimbei

I don't know, they are probably pushing it with Usopp given Roronao The Minority Hunter history.

Actually I wonder if they will allow Zoro to facepalm and crush a blackwomans skull on screen. I may have to watch more just for that.

zoro-one-piece.gif

Last edited:

Caliane

My predictions

1. Brook
2. Robin
3. Jimbei

Boa hancock. super attractive amazon? oh, she's going to be black.

• 2Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'm hoping for a claymation Chopper like this

clayChop.jpg

Also, are they really race changing characters a bunch? Haven't watched it yet. Like Usopp is supposed to be black if people didn't realize that, just look at those lips.

usoppLips.jpg

Oda even put out a list of what nationality the characters would be similar to in our world at one point and Usopp's was Africa. Luffy was Brazil, so the Mexican kid casting is close enough.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’ve suffered through most of the 1st season of the anime and, not having the luxury of watching the animated first, it feels like they did a good job editing down the live action to the necessary. There was a ton of ground to cover and the drops / changes aren’t too bad from my point of view. Someone’s favorite character was removed or changed. But with all the absurdity going on they at least tried to capture what they could and still be true to the series. So far.

Understanding that the target audience for this isn’t me, the anime isn’t THAT bad. It suffers from a few issues that come up often in these and that is ALL THE CONSTANT YELLING and NOISES EVERY SCENE.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I respect One Piece for what it is and has done for anime's mainstream push but I was never a huge fan of the anime, not saying its bad, just not my favorite but honestly, I really liked the live action adaptation. It certainly got better with each episode. I had no clue how some of it would translate but they did it. In Charlie's last review he said it best.... One Piece is weird... and I give them kudos for staying true to the tone of the source. I like their actors too. Luffy is about spot on. True to himself, believes in everyone, and always positive. Actor seems very wholesome.

No complaints really.... I have no idea how One Piece fans will feel but I like it.

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
I'm surprised not only by how much this doesn't suck, but by how much I'm enjoying it. I tried to slog through the anime but it just dragged so much once I hit the middle seasons that I couldn't finish. The pacing on the live action should allow them to hit all the high points without getting mired down (hopefully). And hopefully this will prove that fans want faithful adaptations rather than agenda driven bullshit written by blue hair freaks who think they know better than the original authors (across genres, not just manga/anime).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was actually pretty good. If you consider how good it was compared to my expectations I'd even hazard to say it was great. The main actors killed their roles. The fat pirate in the beginning and black nami were the only shitters.

I'm not sure how they pull off the whole show.

Season 2 alone needs to be arabasta and water 7, just skip sky island.

Season 3 should be summit war and fishman island

4 can be dresrossa and cake

5 can be wano

Leaving 6 for the final arc. If they want to do 8 seasons, which is crazy ambitious they could split summit and cake into their own seasons.

As for how they do the current tom n jerry shit, i think a little of The Mask mixed with a little of Kung Fu Hustle would be cool. They fucking nailed the fight with Zoro and Mihawk and Luffy and Arlong

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Apparently all the Season 2 episodes are written and waiting for the strikes to end.

spronk

FPS noob
watched the whole thing over a week and enjoyed it, never watched a single episode of the anime but i wasn't lost at all. I appreciated how the actors hammed it up and they felt very "anime", unlike Cowboy Bebop which was poorly acted in comparison.

Nothing wild and cringe in it, just goofy ass pirate shit. Pirates of the Caribbean mixed with anime basically. I appreciate the return to more down to earth comedy and whackiness this year between Twisted Metal and this, things were getting too grim dark.

its wild the anime is like at 1100 episodes or something insane like that, i might watch a few episodes to see if i like it or not

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
watched the whole thing over a week and enjoyed it, never watched a single episode of the anime but i wasn't lost at all. I appreciated how the actors hammed it up and they felt very "anime", unlike Cowboy Bebop which was poorly acted in comparison.

Nothing wild and cringe in it, just goofy ass pirate shit. Pirates of the Caribbean mixed with anime basically. I appreciate the return to more down to earth comedy and whackiness this year between Twisted Metal and this, things were getting too grim dark.

its wild the anime is like at 1100 episodes or something insane like that, i might watch a few episodes to see if i like it or not

PRE-WARNING : There are TWO versions of the anime. The American released version which was modified a good bit (called the 4Kidz release), and the OG Japanese release (where you'd have to be into subtitles to follow it, and will probably end up following the One Piece core theme in how you acquire said media.... or apparently is on Crunchyoll if you have that service). I think you can guess which Chez Haus recommends. ;)

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
PRE-WARNING : There are TWO versions of the anime. The American released version which was modified a good bit (called the 4Kidz release), and the OG Japanese release (where you'd have to be into subtitles to follow it, and will probably end up following the One Piece core theme in how you acquire said media.... or apparently is on Crunchyoll if you have that service). I think you can guess which Chez Haus recommends. ;)
The Funimation dubs on Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll are all unedited.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You want to watch the Toei animation version or look up and watch One Pace. - Another thing to keep in mind with One Piece is this shit is like a quarter of a century old at this point.

Yes there are a shitload of episodes but also the writing, humor, and themes have shifted a fair bit from the start. In many ways One Piece starts very happy go lucky and childish and takes time to really grow into some of the more serious arcs.

Think the difference between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z or maybe a better example is Naruto vs Naruto Shippuden. I say that because even though I think One Piece is one of the best animes and stories out there it suffers from a couple of things.

1. It takes a bit to get into
2. As you get further in it really drags on when each episode only covers 1 Manga chapter ar a time.

Still you will know for sure if you are hooked on the show after a couple of the better arcs. Along Park has some key emotional moments and even Alabasta but honestly I think a lot of the earlier arcs are kind of decent to ass.

Once you get to things like Water 7, Enies Lobby, Impel Down, Marineford and shit like that you'll be hooked or not. Honestly I don't know anyone who watches Marineford who isn't down to finish the entire series.

Personally I couldn't go back and watch the first few seasons to the anime shit like Alabasta, Skypeia, Thriller Bark were all kind of ass looking back on it, and Syrup village, and drum island were also kind of ass. Not trying to turn anyone off of the series but the point is there is certainly a shift in writing style and development somewhere along the way that makes the payoff worth it in dividends.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Man, Thriller Bark was a slog. I am trying to make it to Marineford/the time jump, but its like 100 some episodes away I think lol.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thriller Bark has some parts I liked, like the Usopp/Zoro/Perona interactions. Nightmare Luffy is pretty cool too.

I still haven't watched the live action yet, I'll probably look for the JP dubbed version of it since I'm used to those voices. Watching almost any anime in English has always sounded terrible to me, other than maybe some Miyazaki movies, and the voices in the trailer for this were hard to listen to as well.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Finally watched this after hearing the word of mouth. It is really solid and fun, shocked how good this turned out. Would rate is as a really good CW show in terms of fun to watch but not a masterpiece. Interesting that the actor that plays Zoro is the son of Sonny Chiba.