Overwatch

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
While tracer can one clip supports I guess she'll always find value

She was always my go to on smurfs but I struggle on her nowadays with all the lock on heroes requring no aim, and random spam etc

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea the first switches on that triple/quad game were both sides going to tracer. Even with all that fat they use her.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Interesting slambulance push on horizon had no junkrat on the defense. Instead of Moira having ult by the time they get to the point, the shield work was so good from the tanks she had only like 20%. They stuck with it though and rolled em on the 2nd try.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It would be interesting to see what would happen if the defending team simply didn't attack the quad tanks at all, and just move back to the point as soon as they notice the comp.

Would they be able to be hold if they were on point already and the quad tank came in with no Moira ultimate?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So many overwatch streamers go from being super calm to having a 100000 decibel laugh. I don't know what it is about the game that everyone does it.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was watching Taimou during that short lived teamup. The game before that was almost all pros and everyone was excited to watch it. Then someone left and the game got cancelled. The next one was the sym main.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Jeff posted on Reddit regarding Effect and OTP's...

Effect pens a letter to Jeff Kaplan • r/Competitiveoverwatch

Dear Effect,

I love watching you play! You are so incredibly talented. I'm very aware of the frustration you are facing and the issues that you talk about are part of our daily discussions.

"Fixing the one trick issue" is extremely complicated for a lot of different reasons. There is a spirit, freedom and creativity to the game that we are eager to protect. But I also believe that (especially at your level of play) other players can cause a detrimental experience.

I don't have immediate solutions to your problem that don't drastically change the face of Overwatch. But I do want you to know that we care and that we are very engaged in brainstorming solutions.

Changes will not happen fast on this subject. But with that said, we have placed urgency on ourselves to make a change. For example, one thing we are examining now is all of the reasons players do not want to group with each other when they play (and there currently are a lot -- some real and some perceived). I wish there was a world where OW players felt like they could play with who they want. This would be an immediate solve to the problem but we are a long way from achieving such a state.

In any event, please know that I hear your frustration. We'll do our best to make OW better not only for pros like you, but for everyone who faces similar challenges.

All the best,

jeffrey + ow team

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I still don't get why Jeff doesn't say, "Quit being a whiny bitch and deal with it." Stop catering your games to an incredibly small handful of whiny teenagers and 20 somethings.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Remember when "avoiding players" was a thing? Sometimes I think they could just bring it back and it'd solve all the 1-tricks.

At least at high MMR.

At low MMR there would still be enough playerbase where it won't matter.

Maybe limit it to 3-5 "avoided" players max, though.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I think we're going to see something to communities chats or group chats become a bigger role in the overwatch interface way before we see them return something that would immediately shame a player for playing how he wants. Unless they make some sort of formula that the avoid player works for like a week period and then the "avoid ban" would get removed.

It'd be nice if they figured out a priority role queue, not nec forcing a player to play tank but I mean if someone locks in a tank catagory role and hes dicking off as hanzo consistently seems slightly a breach of contract? But I mean like one game as a non tank locked into a tank role wouldn't upset the balance.

skribble

'Comp' play is just essentially quick play but with ranks. It will never ever be competitive in the sense that people want it to be, due to human nature and people just being shitty. No matter if one tricks get banned (they won't), or there was a role queue (this will not happen in a game where you can change your hero and role at any time). Add onto this the fact that a lot of 'throwing' is completely subjective. I watched my silver friends stream, he's a salty fuck. He just complains endlessly about 'stupid picks', when 50% of the the time they're completely fine, and doesn't notice his own terrible choices (e.g. playing a reaper and literally just standing at a doorway at ranged shooting and feeding over and over again).

A completely premade group is the only way to have a proper, competitive game. Comp games where you don't need any sort of premade team beforehand only offer increased accessibility, at a huge detriment to quality of games, and its amazing after all this time people still don't realise that. It will always be by its very nature inconsistent. Can you imagine if blizzard had completely static hero choices in comp queue with randoms, the completely same teams vs teams, people would STILL fucking complain about team mates, 'trying new heroes, PLS ONLY ONETRICKS GUYS', 'omg this guy has less than 200 hours on main role what a fucking noob' 'blizzard pls ban non-onetricks pls'.

Premade clan type games/scrims are the only sort of real competitive scene this game has to offer.

Cybsled

I don't see any solution to be honest that is going to make them happy. If a person legit can only play 1 hero at a high level, do you really think forcing them to play another hero at a mediocre level is going to help your team's chances?

"Omg noob junkrat, they have pharah, we need hitscan!!!"
"I cant play hitscan"
"Change u fukin noob or report"
*changes to S76*
"omg pharah isnt dying, do ur job noob!!! GG we lost S76 sucks"
"..."

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
'Comp' play is just essentially quick play but with ranks. It will never ever be competitive in the sense that people want it to be, due to human nature and people just being shitty. No matter if one tricks get banned (they won't), or there was a role queue (this will not happen in a game where you can change your hero and role at any time). Add onto this the fact that a lot of 'throwing' is completely subjective. I watched my silver friends stream, he's a salty fuck. He just complains endlessly about 'stupid picks', when 50% of the the time they're completely fine, and doesn't notice his own terrible choices (e.g. playing a reaper and literally just standing at a doorway at ranged shooting and feeding over and over again).

A completely premade group is the only way to have a proper, competitive game. Comp games where you don't need any sort of premade team beforehand only offer increased accessibility, at a huge detriment to quality of games, and its amazing after all this time people still don't realise that. It will always be by its very nature inconsistent. Can you imagine if blizzard had completely static hero choices in comp queue with randoms, the completely same teams vs teams, people would STILL fucking complain about team mates, 'trying new heroes, PLS ONLY ONETRICKS GUYS', 'omg this guy has less than 200 hours on main role what a fucking noob' 'blizzard pls ban non-onetricks pls'.

Premade clan type games/scrims are the only sort of real competitive scene this game has to offer.

I disagree with some of this.

Changing hero on the fly has no relevance to competitive.
By definition, a game is "competitive", you seem to have your own little definition for what "comp play" means to you.
I think the majority of players understand that "comp play" just means "try to win".
Adding ranks simply means "this is the mode where you don't dick off".
You also seem to say that "picks are fine" but also "serious comp play would always be same picks". So which is it? Either "pick flexibility" means nothing or it does, i don't know what your argument is.

However, I do agree that FLEX QUEUE is a huge detriment to the system. This was tried in League of Legends and they had to quickly abandon it (at least re-added Solo/Duo), because Flex Queue is GARBAGE. People just don't complain about it in OW because there never was a Solo/Duo only queue here.

There should be "competitive teams/flex" and "competitive solo/duo", like LoL does. But honestly, OW doesn't have the playerbase to support it. I know we like to think it's rocking with players, but once you get high-plat+ you see the same people over and over. (at least I do).

skribble

I disagree with some of this.

Changing hero on the fly has no relevance to competitive.
By definition, a game is "competitive", you seem to have your own little definition for what "comp play" means to you.
I think the majority of players understand that "comp play" just means "try to win".
Adding ranks simply means "this is the mode where you don't dick off".
You also seem to say that "picks are fine" but also "serious comp play would always be same picks". So which is it? Either "pick flexibility" means nothing or it does, i don't know what your argument is.

However, I do agree that FLEX QUEUE is a huge detriment to the system. This was tried in League of Legends and they had to quickly abandon it (at least re-added Solo/Duo), because Flex Queue is GARBAGE. People just don't complain about it in OW because there never was a Solo/Duo only queue here.

There should be "competitive teams/flex" and "competitive solo/duo", like LoL does. But honestly, OW doesn't have the playerbase to support it. I know we like to think it's rocking with players, but once you get high-plat+ you see the same people over and over. (at least I do).

Changing on the fly in terms of having it as part of a role-queue is not feasible, I wasn't talking about its relevance in overall terms of competitive queue.

I never said anywhere that serious comp play should be the same picks, I was trying to get across that even if all things WERE equal in terms of hero picks where bliz only allowed 6 specific heroes (this is just an exaggerated example), that teams that aren't a premade would still find things to complain about and a new meta of blaming their team mates for NOT one tricking a hero would evolve.

My argument is that you can call a queue where six randoms queue up together whatever you want, even if its solo queue only, even if you ban all toxicity etc, you will STILL have an unrewarding gaming experience because the accessibility of throwing together strangers and expecting them to work together somehow does not negate the completely unpleasant experience it creates. Clans are the only way around this.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
My argument is that you can call a queue where six randoms queue up together whatever you want, even if its solo queue only, even if you ban all toxicity etc, you will STILL have an unrewarding gaming experience because the accessibility of throwing together strangers and expecting them to work together somehow does not negate the completely unpleasant experience it creates. Clans are the only way around this.

Losing is unrewarding. Even if you have clans only, it's going to be unrewarding when your clan gets "stuck" in an MMR and then there's in-fighting and blaming.

Clan-only doesn't make it more competitive, it just means the skillcap is higher. Now you layer communication and coordination on top of mechanics and composition.

Solo/Duo can be just as competitive but in a different way. It supports "carrying" and taking advantages of weaknesses in opponents. Find the weak link and abuse that (person).