Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
He couldn't grind through the levels, he quit after level 2 or 3.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Nah only a few people here really played it and gave it a chance. When SOE tidied up the game and then started doing free weekends, none of you were there to see it. That was the time to play it and see the good things the game had to offer, like the best classes of any MMO or RPG ever, made by someone who worked for one of the best game development companies of all time.

Now it is too obvious, my young apprentice. You must let the trolling flow from within you. To get them to believe you believe it. The last sentence gave too much away. You have much to learn.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I could see crawling in EQ if the dungeons were bigger. If you stretched and branched each section, you could have more of the same level mobs in an area.

Honestly though, the only way to make crawling a thing in open world dungeons is by removing most of the static placeholders. If a named had a random spawn throughout an entire area that could not be pulled to one spot, then people would roam.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I could see crawling in EQ if the dungeons were bigger. If you stretched and branched each section, you could have more of the same level mobs in an area.

Right, but that would knock off some of the fun for the area. Whereas you got your ass kicked in this area, you could go to this other area and do fine.

That's partially what I loved to hate about EQ. No clear path on which dungeons are for which levels. I know that some of you loved it, and wanna see it return. But I'm glad it's gone, TBH.

Dullahan

Right, but that would knock off some of the fun for the area. Whereas you got your ass kicked in this area, you could go to this other area and do fine.

That's partially what I loved to hate about EQ. No clear path on which dungeons are for which levels. I know that some of you loved it, and wanna see it return. But I'm glad it's gone, TBH.
Even in EQ you could always go to an easier area of the dungeon, so I'm not sure how that would differ. Making it bigger would just be the same thing ... except bigger with more mobs. They could always sprinkle in mobs from higher level areas, kind of like the Krups in Seb that roamed all the way up to the bridge.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Don't equate quality with popularity, we both know that is retarded, even for you.

Are you trying to imply Vanguard was quality?

illK6U.gif

giphy.gif

f11df0a49788cfbab44f22d03d236ef8.gif

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Even in EQ you could always go to an easier area of the dungeon, so I'm not sure how that would differ. Making it bigger would just be the same thing ... except bigger with more mobs. They could always sprinkle in mobs from higher level areas, kind of like the Krups in Seb that roamed all the way up to the bridge.
What incentive do you have to crawl rather than sitting at a camp within someone pulling to the camp while you wait for a named to spawn?

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Crawling is annoying. I'd rather chill in one spot for 5 hours. True story.

I was the puller the majority of the time though, so it's not based on just being a lazy fuck.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
well the whole quest system was broke and fucked. Trying to type certain phrases to have the NPC advance the quest line? Or items that would drop whch were labled no-drop so you knew they were quest items, but you had to look that up in Allakhazams encyclopedia what quest it was for. Wow had nice simple quest box appears explaining what you have to do, then you do it, quest drops automatically are tuned over from your inventory and you complete the quest for exp and money or items. Later this was upgraded with quest helper functionality which sowed you where to go to kill etc..

Shit even AO back in like 2001 had a better quest system than EQ did. Mission hubs, same shit like WoW, simple popup appears explaining what you need to do, once accepted, it showed you on the map where to go.

EQ should of definitely upgraded that shit over the years. there is no excuse. Its too bad too since no one would even know it, but EQ had a shit ton of quests in every zone. But most people just ground their way through it all not even paying attention. Only focusing on those that got spread through word of mouth like the belts, gnoll fangs, etc.

I know the Internet as it is today would completely ruin any game in a matter of days, but I actually liked that EQ had quests that didn't tell you exactly where to go and what to do. I liked that you got Cornflunk's head and knew it was a quest, but didn't exactly know what to do with it. I liked that the Frenzied Ghoul in Unrest dropped a key, but you had to figure out whom to turn it in to. One of my all time favorite quests was the Staff of the Wheel quest, which was hard as shit, sent you all over Norrath, and took forever to figure out, for a piece of loot that wasn't all that great, but was awesome to complete. Not to mention the class Epic quests, which were some of the best quests in any video game ever. I hated the quests in WoW. they were boring, busy quests, and pretty much were just go talk to A guy, who will tell you to talk to B guy, who will tell you to collect bear asses for C guy, and turn them in to D guy. They were mind numbingly stupid, tedious, and uninspiring.

• 2Like

Dullahan

What incentive do you have to crawl rather than sitting at a camp within someone pulling to the camp while you wait for a named to spawn?

As I said, the only incentive would be to make rares spawn randomly or at least in different locales. If rares/phs are static, the only incentive would be a change of scenery, which probably wouldn't be enough.

And this is really just to entertain the idea, because it's something people talk about wanting and even VR say they like the idea of. Personally, I like camping, but I wouldn't mind if there was a bit of both. Some rares are transient requiring you to move around, while others just spawn in their appropriate throne room or lair.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Moving an entire group around constantly is fucking annoying. But ya, random location nameds would move people around.

You have to take into account people arent going to be glued to the game screen every minute in an MMO. You need to relax and barrens chat it up for it to be real good.

People hate a shitton of mundane quests because running back and forth constantly is a pain in the ass. Its not the laughable un-immersive snake skin retrieval that makes it retarded, its the constant moving from one place to another.

I actually had a lot of fun being LFG or forming groups at zone lines. Or just standing at a group waiting for someone to leave

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I think random named spawns could help but i don't think it would encourage most groups to move around over camping. If that mechanic were in EQ, i would just find the area in the zone/dungeon with the highest NPC density and would camp there. I also think that this type of mechanic could cause some frustration for max level players looking for things to do (assuming there isn't some further advancement based on gaining exp in some form), i liked having an agenda - camping specific items. Conversely, that would make tracking a much more important skill than it ever has been and would cause groups to race for named spawns more than before which could make the game more exciting AND more cutthroat.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
EQ had a lot of pros, don't get me wrong. But the negatives outweighed the pros. It's just like I said, and I'll continue to say. I loved what EQ could've been. Not what it was.

EDIT : Meh, and a lot of you might think of me as a WoW geek, but meh. I don't play that game either. I used to, but after the last expansion (FaceWoW I'm calling it) I'm not. FaceWoW, called that because it's just like Facebook where you've gotta log in everyday to see what you're followers have brought you, just didn't hold my interest. This is after about a year, maybe two years, after Cata cam out, and I quit that shit so hard.

This is up until I went on Blizzard's boards drunk as fuck one night, started bitching about D3 and an MVP jumped my shit, and I got a seven day ban.

Last edited:

Zaide

TLP Idealist
What? Care to elaborate on that? Source?

I can confirm reading this on the official forums a while back. The one item that stood out to me was Glowing Black Stone losing its quest tag and the dev explaining that some intern was working on a quest for it or something and no one knew what happened to him or the quest.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
These threads always warm my cockles.

Has Linda or Merlin posted how awesome EQ was and then completely misrepresent modern games using an incredibly skewed viewpoint as their basis yet? If so, then basically all the parts of a classic EQ rose-colored-glasses meetup are in place.

Man, I remember how every class but pullers were generally playing a chatroom with a GUI, and it was the most engaging game in history that was worlds better than anything after. And how great it was that the developers didn't know what they were doing at any stage of development and only hit paydirt by accident at the best of times. Not to mention the awesome bug fixes that were done in an incredibly timely manner, like alchemy.

This is my favorite radio station; it only plays the hits.

• 2Like