Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Why are you guys suddenly obsessed with aspies and autism? It is in every post...

There was good part of the classic Eq community that loved to twink, power level, multibox, quad kite, solo, and farm for whatever reasons.
Why would someone who is making a reskin clone of said game, that couldn't even reach its kickstarter goal, want to piss these people off, in anyway?
Yeah but there was a good part of the EQ community who didn't like the twinkers and boxers getting in the way as well. It sucks to meet up with your friend(s) and head to a dungeon and the entire dungeon is camped by one guy. I do it all the time but I do it on tiny private servers where you don't get in anyones way. Doing it in real EQ is pretty obnoxious. The only smart thing would be to allow all those things but just limit how extreme it can get, and that is what they are doing. You need to find something else to whine about. Also the kickstarter only failed because they did it far too early and before they had anything decent to show. If they did it now they would get a fortune.

there are people that might not play because of too many limitations
Could happen. But for every person like that, there are 500,000 people who don't care and just want to play. Also if this game is a piece of shit, why are you so annoyed about whether you can twink or not?
You would think the fags here would be his main focus.
Why would he care about shitbags like you? He sticks to better places like reddit, mmorpg, twitter, etc. As he should. This site is a joke.

Tl;dr qwerty wants everyone to be as bad at video games as him
??? How is anything I said got anything to do with any of that?

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
That's because the 'paying audience' is telling them two disparate opinions. I want harsher death penalties and a harder game...yet I'm all for twinking low levels which is the exact opposite of wanting harder anything. "I want PLing. Please make this game harder for everyone....but me and my buddies." Hmmmmmm. No wonder no one has seen a repeat of EQ. Developers have gotten smarter and moved past this 'paying audience' that needs broken mechanics to feel special. Bad game design is bad game design.
This doesn't make sense. If the game is harder, and you've earned rewards, then you deserve to make the experience easier on other characters. You're conflating two things that are mutually exclusive.

I'm actually against powerleveling as it existed in EQ because unlike conquering harder content and utilizing the rewards on a lower level character, anyone higher level could trivialize the leveling process. Don't think it should be prevented altogether, but there are ways of determining whether the benefit of spells and healing during combat made the encounter too easy for the xp recipient. In which case, the experience should be reduced, just like your experience from having someone do your homework for you reduces your knowledge for a test.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dullahan

Ok you're really fucking stupid, Like Tolan Tolan stupid.

They failed their kickstarter because originally they only catered to the original EQ community. They even had fucking fundraisers on P99 the largest collection of EQ fans on the fucking planet. People who want to play the exact original EQ in 2017 either have no money or no lives and neither of those types of people are good targets for investors and kickstarters. Brad has come to his senses after that disaster and left the EQ spurgs behind, Not because he does not like original EQ but he knows that the people who are still frothing for Classic EQ probably have some sort of Autism (myself included)

What the majority of this forum wants (And sorry bro THIS forum is the real Pantheon forum the official forum and the reddit are soppy shit) what THIS forum wants is a reskin of EQ in the sense of having an Open World Non-Themepark game with a high difficulty curve and an immersive lore rich setting that fosters and cultivates community interaction.

Heavy handed Twinking: Damages the difficulty curve, ruins lore, and damages community interaction.
Multiboxing perma camping items: Damages Community Interaction
Quad Kite/Bard Kiting/PLing entire zones: Damages Community Interaction, Ruins Lore, Damages Difficulty Curve.

It's become ABUNDANTLY clear in your last few dozen posts that you are one of those autists that boxes four characters at once and just likes to farm shit and be anti social.

I know you have some fantasy of reliving the glory days of selling your shitty EQ characters by leveling up Pantheon guys but you might actually have to get a job.
It seems like you're taking everything to extremes to drive home your point.

You can have twinking as it existed in early EQ for the most part without completely destroying the game. EQ thrived while this was occurring in the original game, and please don't use the bullshit excuse that "it was the only option". It was because it worked.

Now, that's not to say I want things like fungi tunic left unchecked. There should be a recovery skill that levels up with the character that throttles regeneration effects, just like there's a 2h slashing skill that throttles the usefulness of the Claymore of Destruction.

Likewise, there can be some degree of powerleveling permitted if a player wants to do it. Ideally, it would be less beneficial than if the player grouped, but more beneficial than if the player soloed.

The point is not to flat out prevent people from playing the way they want. That is the real issue here that will make Pantheon unappealing to their target audience.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This doesn't make sense. If the game is harder, and you've earned rewards, then you deserve to make the experience easier on other characters. You're conflating two things that are mutually exclusive.

I'm actually against powerleveling as it existed in EQ because unlike conquering harder content and utilizing the rewards on a lower level character, anyone higher level could trivialize the leveling process. Don't think it should be prevented altogether, but there are ways of determining whether the benefit of spells and healing during combat made the encounter too easy for the xp recipient. In which case, the experience should be reduced, just like your experience from having someone do your homework for you reduces your knowledge for a test.

It actually makes perfect sense. First, the reward for harder leveling is the gear you are actually wearing in a gear based rewards system. The reward for a hard day's work in a dungeon should be usable gear...by that character. Not robbing your group mate or farming areas others could use just because you are an asshole and want to make stuff easier for your alt. Second, what do you think twinking does to the leveling process? Quick hint. Same thing PLing does. It trivializes it. Quick question. If the game is so awesome, why don't you want to go through it again?

I agree on the last part. That can be accomplished by mentoring without having to nerf exp for the recipient. Make it challenging and fun for both guys ...not easy and boring for at least one or both.

Edit- maybe we are talking past each other. I don't mind minor upgrades or gear that levels with you. I am completely against fungi and some of the twinks I saw who were decked out in gear and trivialized content. I also am against the pay for performance system a_skeleton_02 mentioned. I want a hard game where you earn your shit. Twinking and PLing are the exact opposite of earning your shit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
I think I know how to solve this issue, if it is that much of a sore spot: Servers w/ rule sets.

• 1Like

Dullahan

It actually makes perfect sense. First, the reward for harder leveling is the gear you are actually wearing in a gear based rewards system. The reward for a hard day's work in a dungeon should be usable gear...by that character. Not robbing your group mate or farming areas others could use just because you are an asshole and want to make stuff easier for your alt. Second, what do you think twinking does to the leveling process? Quick hint. Same thing PLing does. It trivializes it. Quick question. If the game is so awesome, why don't you want to go through it again?

I agree on the last part. That can be accomplished by mentoring without having to nerf exp for the recipient. Make it challenging and fun for both guys ...not easy and boring for at least one or both.

Edit- maybe we are talking past each other. I don't mind minor upgrades or gear that levels with you. I am completely against fungi and some of the twinks I saw who were decked out in gear and trivialized content. I also am against the pay for performance system a_skeleton_02 mentioned. I want a hard game where you earn your shit. Twinking and PLing are the exact opposite of earning your shit.

Well, you obviously shouldn't rob group mates to twink an alt. Let's not get distracted here.

The fact that the game (in this case EQ) was hard is exactly what made powerleveling so enjoyable. Being able to revisit content where you struggled, with a new-found advantage, is intoxicating.

It's also hard to argue that someone hasn't "earned" an advantage if they've already obtained the items, or established relationships with people willing to help them level up their character. That meets the mechanical and social criteria for advancement in a game like Pantheon.

My only point, and hopefully something we can come together on, is that Pantheon can dispense with so much of the restriction found in new mmos and hopefully strike a balance, without it ruining the game.

As to mentoring, few things are more harmful to the broader community than allowing players to avoid the general population and fill their groups exclusively with people with whom they're already acquainted. If people are really concerned with damaging community interaction as a_skeleton_02 mentioned, mentoring has to be limited as well.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I think I know how to solve this issue, if it is that much of a sore spot: Servers w/ rule sets.

Yep, this is what its going to take. We have to campaign to at least have a special "hard core" server (pvp and pve version of it though). I would think this is the least Brad + company can do for us. One server with corpse runs, high difficulty, only binding in towns, slow (boat, etc) travel, etc.

We are interested because we want everything from 1999. Give it to us. Let the others play whatever hybrid they are hinting at in the streams.

Has there been any official support for a "hard core" server rule set? I have not been keeping up.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Indie game with a shoestring budget and a tiny team who is aiming at a niche audience at best.

"Lets split the player base up across 15 different types of server rulesets"

Guess what scrubs, it's going to be PVP PVE and maybe a PVE(RP) and the game is going to be "hybridized"

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Indie game with a shoestring budget and a tiny team who is aiming at a niche audience at best.

"Lets split the player base up across 15 different types of server rulesets"

Guess what scrubs, it's going to be PVP PVE and maybe a PVE(RP) and the game is going to be "hybridized"
Now why are you being so hyperbolic? VR could say "We're going to offer 3 (maybe 4) rule-set servers. We want the community to vote on the most important rulesets." Then they hold polls and take it from there. Whichever rule-set garners the most positive reviews a year after launch gets another server, or a hybrid of the top two based on the most popular rules, etc. That would be the smart way to approach it.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Well, you obviously shouldn't rob group mates to twink an alt. Let's not get distracted here.

The fact that the game (in this case EQ) was hard is exactly what made powerleveling so enjoyable. Being able to revisit content where you struggled, with a new-found advantage, is intoxicating.

It's also hard to argue that someone hasn't "earned" an advantage if they've already obtained the items, or established relationships with people willing to help them level up their character. That meets the mechanical and social criteria for advancement in a game like Pantheon.

My only point, and hopefully something we can come together on, is that Pantheon can dispense with so much of the restriction found in new mmos and hopefully strike a balance, without it ruining the game.

As to mentoring, few things are more harmful to the broader community than allowing players to avoid the general population and fill their groups exclusively with people with whom they're already acquainted. If people are really concerned with damaging community interaction as a_skeleton_02 mentioned, mentoring has to be limited as well.

We obviously are not seeing eye to eye here so I'll need your side of it. How is PLing another guy up less harmful than mentoring? How is that helping the greater community? How is the established relationship to build twinks better than the relationship built for mentoring? I don't see the obvious differences beyond one is wanting to abuse the system as much as possible and the other doesn't? Help me out here. Tell me why mentoring isn't striking a balance in your eyes so I can understand.

The point we are making is that most companies got rid of abusive parts of their systems because it hurt the game and made it really, really hard for developers to create new content. It also made it much harder for new players who are very important to maintaining that game. I personally don't care too much and abused some of the shit you guys are pushing for. I still find it hilarious when people mention harder gaming and cheating the system in the same posts or threads. It's cognitive dissonance at it's most perfect.

I think the best way to lose the restrictions is to hide them. Make up some bullshit like clerics can't use swords or something like that. New characters don't have the strength to use that. Minds aren't strong enough until high level to do that. Whatever works? What restrictions besides no drop loot, mentoring, etc has your side so upset? I don't visit Pantheon.org, their reddit, etc.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Everyone has their own take, right? I mean, it's unlikely any two people would completely agree on every single aspect of any game.

What I want is a world that is as open, free, and sandboxy as possible. Will people do "bad" and "undesirable" things when you give them that much freedom? Sure. But forcing players to be "good" through restrictive mechanics isn't the answer to that problem. Telling players what is "appropriate" or "inappropriate" for them is a level of parental guidance I have absolutely zero interest in. Forcing players to experience things the way you want them to experience them is a recipe for a game on rails.

Just give me a cold, hard, indifferent world and set me loose. That's pretty much what original EQ was. If you've built the world intelligently, there is absolutely no need for it to adapt to me specifically. In fact, a world that caters in any way to me is the antithesis of what I want an mmo world to be.

Should your character have limits to what it can do? Absolutely. Building and progressing your character is one of the most foundational elements of an rpg. But those limitations need to be inherent to the character-- they shouldn't be represented by changes to the world around that character. Even if that ends up being a distinction that's only meaningful in appearance, I can tell you it's an important distinction nevertheless.

There's a reason people pine for the original EQ trilogy. Yes, that era had some limitations. No it wasn't perfect. But it was open and free enough to give people the feeling that anything was possible. That's the feeling I had when I played it, anyway. Once they started piling on restrictive mechanics in later expansions, I felt less and less like what I did mattered. Whereas, before, there were creative ways to pull of feats that I shouldn't have been able to accomplish, all of a sudden I was bumping into all these artificial roadblocks telling me YOU CAN'T DO THAT because it's "level inappropriate." Blah. Fuck that.

So Down with Trivial Loot Code, Down with Bind on Equip, Down with locked combat, and anything scaled can literally burn in a fire!

Down with all those bullshit, lazy, underhanded tactics.

Sure bad things may happen if you give people that level of freedom. But in my experience, it's much worse when you take that kind of freedom away.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Everyone has their own take, right? I mean, it's unlikely any two people would completely agree on every single aspect of any game.

What I want is a world that is as open, free, and sandboxy as possible. Will people do "bad" and "undesirable" things when you give them that much freedom? Sure. But forcing players to be "good" through restrictive mechanics isn't the answer to that problem. Telling players what is "appropriate" or "inappropriate" for them is a level of parental guidance I have absolutely zero interest in. Forcing players to experience things the way you want them to experience them is a recipe for a game on rails.

Just give me a cold, hard, indifferent world and set me loose. That's pretty much what original EQ was. If you've built the world intelligently, there is absolutely no need for it to adapt to me specifically. In fact, a world that caters in any way to me is the antithesis of what I want an mmo world to be.

Should your character have limits to what it can do? Absolutely. Building and progressing your character is one of the most foundational elements of an rpg. But those limitations need to be inherent to the character-- they shouldn't be represented by changes to the world around that character. Even if that ends up being a distinction that's only meaningful in appearance, I can tell you it's an important distinction nevertheless.

There's a reason people pine for the original EQ trilogy. Yes, that era had some limitations. No it wasn't perfect. But it was open and free enough to give people the feeling that anything was possible. That's the feeling I had when I played it, anyway. Once they started piling on restrictive mechanics in later expansions, I felt less and less like what I did mattered. Whereas, before, there were creative ways to pull of feats that I shouldn't have been able to accomplish, all of a sudden I was bumping into all these artificial roadblocks telling me YOU CAN'T DO THAT because it's "level inappropriate." Blah. Fuck that.

So Down with Trivial Loot Code, Down with Bind on Equip, Down with locked combat, and anything scaled can literally burn in a fire!

Down with all those bullshit, lazy, underhanded tactics.

Sure bad things may happen if you give people that level of freedom. But in my experience, it's much worse when you take that kind of freedom away.

I have no problems with that and agree to an extent. I don't like scaled leveling except with newbies. Even in early EQ they had some spell restrictions so we could just do that. Want to PL your buddy? Well, you can but high level spells don't work on your buddy, His body can't handle the stress of such mighty magic on his pussy frame. Something within 7-10 levels should be ok but at around 8 levels , the magic starts to kill that pussy. Better?Hell, I'm into even bigger bad ass. Let's make aggressive spells hit anything in their area. You want to nuke an area? Well, it hits everything. Why should we have that fake ass shit of PC avoidance? You want to nuke that fucking dragon? Well, the tank better have good resists then.

High level loot should be what was mentioned earlier. Weaker effect for weaker characters. That makes a ton of sense. Level 10 Billy isn't a bad ass and shouldn't have the skill, knowledge, etc to use that flaming Sword pf Bradiness. I don't like locked combat either. Anything else?

goishen

Macho Ma'am
The fact that the game (in this case EQ) was hard is exactly what made powerleveling so enjoyable. Being able to revisit content where you struggled, with a new-found advantage, is intoxicating for maybe 5 minutes.

FTFY.

• 1Like

Dullahan

We obviously are not seeing eye to eye here so I'll need your side of it. How is PLing another guy up less harmful than mentoring? How is that helping the greater community? How is the established relationship to build twinks better than the relationship built for mentoring? I don't see the obvious differences beyond one is wanting to abuse the system as much as possible and the other doesn't? Help me out here. Tell me why mentoring isn't striking a balance in your eyes so I can understand.

The point we are making is that most companies got rid of abusive parts of their systems because it hurt the game and made it really, really hard for developers to create new content. It also made it much harder for new players who are very important to maintaining that game. I personally don't care too much and abused some of the shit you guys are pushing for. I still find it hilarious when people mention harder gaming and cheating the system in the same posts or threads. It's cognitive dissonance at it's most perfect.

I think the best way to lose the restrictions is to hide them. Make up some bullshit like clerics can't use swords or something like that. New characters don't have the strength to use that. Minds aren't strong enough until high level to do that. Whatever works? What restrictions besides no drop loot, mentoring, etc has your side so upset? I don't visit Pantheon.org, their reddit, etc.

Mentoring is worse because it provides the player with all the perks of grouping, without having to be reliant on the broader community. Ideally powerleveling would not. Powerleveling is basically just an enhanced soloing for players who do not want to play with others, for whatever reason that may be. If crafted properly, assisting another player by buffing them and/or healing in between mobs would provide some benefit, but still less than if the player was in a fully functioning group with any additional experience bonuses that may provide.

There's no reason for developers to go out of their way to make it impossible to solo, or impossible for another player to benefit from your assistance as a higher level player. Let people play the way they want within reason.

The goal should be to encourage people to seek out their peers and learn to work with them. If the player never has to rely on people outside of their circle, those people become dispensable, and can be discarded and mistreated as they are in most current MMOs. For player reputation to exist in Pantheon the way it did in EQ, players you are unaffiliated with have to remain a valuable asset.

Abolishing the "abusive parts" results in very contrived and sanitized gameplay.

I can't speak for other people. I don't think most people agree with my position on mentoring and player freedom, because most people simply haven't done a deep dive into what made early MMOs, particularly EQ, a more enjoyable game.

Basically the problems Arden has described in a couple of his recent posts are a good summary of the problem as I see it.

• 1Solidarity

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Mentoring is worse because it provides the player with all the perks of grouping, without having to be reliant on the broader community. Ideally powerleveling would not. Powerleveling is basically just an enhanced soloing for players who do not want to play with others, for whatever reason that may be. If crafted properly, assisting another player by buffing them and/or healing in between mobs would provide some benefit, but still less than if the player was in a fully functioning group with any additional experience bonuses that may provide.

There's no reason for developers to go out of their way to make it impossible to solo, or impossible for another player to benefit from your assistance as a higher level player. Let people play the way they want within reason.

The goal should be to encourage people to seek out their peers and learn to work with them. If the player never has to rely on people outside of their circle, those people become dispensable, and can be discarded and mistreated as they are in most current MMOs. For player reputation to exist in Pantheon the way it did in EQ, players you are unaffiliated with have to remain a valuable asset.

Abolishing the "abusive parts" results in very contrived and sanitized gameplay.

I can't speak for other people. I don't think most people agree with my position on mentoring and player freedom, because most people simply haven't done a deep dive into what made early MMOs, particularly EQ, a more enjoyable game.

Basically the problems Arden has described in a couple of his recent posts are a good summary of the problem as I see it.

Hmmmm, ok I see the problem. You guys think we are as stupid as the other places. The perks of PLing are far greater than the perks of grouping or group mentoring. You don't have to fill a 5-6 person party, one person greatly out levels the content and you can quickly and easily cheat the system and level quickly way beyond your means. So...why not just admit that? Why use Arden's argument of freedom( to game the system)? That's the main argument against instancing, no drop gear, etc right? You can't be superman in a MMO? Just be honest and say you wanted to easily crush everything! You want to brag that you quad-kited those drakes!!

Just don't act like you want to experience hard content except when it suits you. You want control over your environment while asking for less. You want a console game with reusable feel good perks. You admit PLing is a solo activity yet talk all that group goals-based bullshit afterwards? Talked about more difficulty while trying to cheat the system? Seriously? And you think we believe that?

You, Arden, Illi, and probably many other want a time when poor game design helped you feel like a bad ass. As a_skeleton_02 mentioned, you probably never raided high end content (EQ's sucked anyway) so the only way you could gain that feeling is gaming the system. I used that system, too. I enjoyed that system but I don't need it back. I prefer to feel like a bad ass while moving to the next bad ass situation. I understand your side of the story but I don't think they are making that game. I don't think anyone is.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You, Arden, Illi, and probably many other want a time when poor game design helped you feel like a bad ass. As a_skeleton_02 mentioned, you probably never raided high end content (EQ's sucked anyway) so the only way you could gain that feeling is gaming the system. I used that system, too. I enjoyed that system but I don't need it back. I prefer to feel like a bad ass while moving to the next bad ass situation. I understand your side of the story but I don't think they are making that game. I don't think anyone is.

If you consider the original EQ trilogy poor game design then the discussion can stop here. Myself and a ton of others on this board consider TOT to be a flawed but fantastic form of game design. Are there things that I would change about TOT? Probably, but on the whole they nailed something that no one else has-- and a big part of that was the flexibility of the system (see lack of restrictive mechanics).

So let bygones by bygones bro. Accept that we enjoy different things in games and move on. You consider what we like "bad game design" and I consider what you like hand-held mushy bullshit. Great. No reason we can't like different things.

Oh and, not that it matters, but I've done plenty of high level raiding. It doesn't make me appreciate free game design any less, that's for sure.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
If you consider the original EQ trilogy poor game design then the discussion can stop here. Myself and a ton of others on this board consider TOT to be a flawed but fantastic form of game design. Are there things that I would change about TOT? Probably, but on the whole they nailed something that no one else has-- and a big part of that was the flexibility of the system (see lack of restrictive mechanics).

So let bygones by bygones bro. Accept that we enjoy different things in games and move on. You consider what we like "bad game design" and I consider what you like hand-held mushy bullshit. Great. No reason we can't like different things.

Oh and, not that it matters, but I've done plenty of high level raiding. It doesn't make me appreciate free game design any less, that's for sure.

I apologize for adding you to that comment. You may just want the freedoms and aren't saying anything about the difficulty. Because EQ was easy as fuck, especially with all the extra 'freedoms' that could be found. I played bard, druid, and necro so I know all those tricks.

I liked EQ too. I don't think anyone is going to make a game for you though, bro. Too hard for designers to work around. I have no problems with you or me liking different games. It's all good and good luck finding your game. I'll be playing this at lest a few months just to support Convo. It will have to supply real difficulty to keep me though. That means no bullshit twinking or PLing for 'hardcores'. I'll having to leave laughing at that point.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think anyone is going to make a game for you though, bro. Too hard for designers to work around.

Oh I don't doubt you're right. My long ass post was what I wanted to see, not what I expected to see. I'd have to make the game myself, probably, to get what I'm looking for.

I'm not even saying I won't still try Pantheon even if they stick with the scaling stuff. I might, who knows. It's only that some of the things I heard at the tail end of that stream made me less excited for the game.

• 1Solidarity