gogojira_sl

shitlord
I saw it before the edit.
wink.png

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
My idea, but who's counting
wink.png

I'm just glad the kickstarter is going again, really.
dont worry, should this pay off, years from now brad will recount the savvy social media blitz he both crafted and executed single handedly to really put the kick in kickstarter, then permaban you.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Following this thread while playing EQ1 with Felwithe music going on in the background makes me want to do dumb things.
like.. kill yourself or blow more than you should on a ks pledge?

i know you want the game sooner, but trust me, if you kill yourself now you won't rise again as a hero on terminus.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Now is the time to pull the kickstarter. Fix things up and then bring it back: with all classes, a complete dungeon fly through and complete details on combat and crafting.

Change the name to Wrath of the Fallen. Go for a lower base goal and add more physical swag.

And bring on board one of the soon to be fired producers of one of the fallen games.

And get rid of the silly rift like lore.
There really isnt a fantasy MMO where you are just a scrub making his way in the world any more, where a huge obstacle is an ogre warlord or evil wizard threatening one village. Current EQ1/2 are all about epic dragon time travel alternate universes, WoW is about averting the end of the world every patch, same with GW2. Rift has the same "you are an hero" background we have in TESO or apparently here.

I liked that less overpowered setting, i.e. classic EQ/Kunark. Even Velious didnt feature any world-ending lore except the one that was under control and caused by the players, the Sleeper. PoP and beyond on the other hand, same deal as WoW.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
like.. kill yourself or blow more than you should on a ks pledge?

i know you want the game sooner, but trust me, if you kill yourself now you won't rise again as a hero on terminus.
While I'd love to return as Batman, I was talking about knocking it up a tier. Holding strong though. There's positive buzz but still need to see more.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They could release the code to the public, would create some serious goodwill for SOE. Not sure why they would keep sitting on that IP but there may be all sorts of legal issues.

There are people out there that could work wonders with that code (not me).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Battle Cleric:A melee healerthat wears full plate armor and can wield a variety of blunt weapons and shields.

Hope that has at least some resemblance to VG Disciple
I dont know disciples but it sounds meh. Hoping for a WAR warrior priest for the plate version.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
They could release the code to the public, would create some serious goodwill for SOE. Not sure why they would keep sitting on that IP but there may be all sorts of legal issues.

There are people out there that could work wonders with that code (not me).
Vanguards engine isn't fixable. No amount of resources could fix it. The engine is garbage.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The robed cleric doesn't sound like a bloodmage at all, IMO. Blood magic and clerics don't seem to jive from a lore perspective either.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
This about sums it up. The biggest mistake with Vanguard was using the Unreal engine. If he used a better engine Vanguard probably would have been the game it was envisioned to be.
Wait... Vanguard uses the Unreal engine?

This is news to me.

edit: just googled it. Unreal Engine 2 was used. Man that's some APB-era garbage. No wonder it had performance issues.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I haven't really posted in this thread because I am a bit torn. I lead an amazing life and I have Sigil to thank for most of that. It is extremely uncouth to be negative and talk bad about the place that gave you your start, biting the hand that feeds you and all that. So I am just going to say this once.

Brad is completely incapable of delivering a good game, and unlikely to deliver one at all.

One look at the Visionary Realms team list tells me that he didn't learn any lessons from Vanguard and is repeating his past mistakes. It is nothing about the individual people that make up the team, but the skill-set he assembled at such a critical early juncture. It consists of:
Engineer - 1
Designers - 5
Artists - 3
Production/Marketing - 2

This tells me all I need to know about how little he has learned. In pre-production you want 1 good designer. You also want several engineers to start working on the technical foundation for your game. You don't need 5 designers to push paper around, because that doesn't matter at this point. 1 good designer can feed several engineers and artists, 5 designers feeding one engineer means they spend most of their time arguing or sitting on their thumb. You need those designers later tomakecontent, once production begins.

In fact, having 1 good designer is orders of magnitude better than 5 good designers this early. Too many cooks spoil the stew, and this couldn't be more true for game design.

As a caveat, it is possible those designers are relatively capable C# scripters that can handle much of the client side work, but their bios read more to me like traditional design. At the veryleast, making an MMO with Unity, you'd need 2 engineers. One client and one server.

I know this doesn't matter to most of the people here, but I thought I'd say it anyway. I am not going to go all crazy spouting hate, because it is pointless and not who I am. I would just rather see Kickstarter money go to young developers that are hungry to create the next big thing. Yea, it is a risk, but at least there is a chance, and new blood in the industry is something sorely needed.