Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have to wonder if some of you guys really ever did play EQ or just claim that you did. There were some interesting aspects of the game and for it's time it was fun. I do feel modern MMO's have thrown the baby out with the bathwater so to speak in terms of changing everything and removing much of a tedium and streamlining everything. That doesn't mean that turning 180 and regressing 20 years is better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
You never played WoW's harder content if you think EQ has/had more challenging and engaging gameplay.
Engaging is entirely too subjective due to personal preference, but yeah, a lot of WoW's harder content is way harder than EQ's harder content.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You never played WoW's harder content if you think EQ has/had more challenging and engaging gameplay.
I was a part of several top guilds in WoW. I did all of WoW's harder content from launch through WoTLK before 99% of the population did. The dungeon and raid boss encounters were and still are more difficult in WoW. I quit when they started watering the rest of the challenge of the game down.

WoW 5-man heroics in TBC were pretty challenging content. I remember terrible groups would wipe in them all the time. Nowadays, you just chain pull linear dungeons, AOE tank and AOE kill without effort with random people from random servers.

Once you got to WoTLK, trash became absolutely trivial. Which was dumb, because you'd still have to clear it. It's not fun or engaging when it's trivial. Just feed me the more challenging boss encounters.

Pantheon is definitely going for a less barebones approach to boss fights, they even showed off a full fledged one in the latest stream. If we can get that good mix of the difficulty of EQ1 and the difficulty of WoW like in said boss fight, the content could be really interesting.

WoW isn't a bad game. In fact, it's a great game. The best the genre has had, and probably ever will. It just became something much different. It's just not what people who are interested in this game are looking for anymore. Needed to be a healthy medium like WoW originally had, but now the game is too far gone. MMORPG kind of loses it's luster when the content is consistently trivial and the game world is more game than world.

I want to have to set up pulls, have difficult time CC'ing, face resists, pickup adds--the need to adapt on the fly. I don't want a controlled environment where there's absolutely no danger or challenge.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have to wonder if some of you guys really ever did play EQ or just claim that you did. There were some interesting aspects of the game and for it's time it was fun. I do feel modern MMO's have thrown the baby out with the bathwater so to speak in terms of changing everything and removing much of a tedium and streamlining everything. That doesn't mean that turning 180 and regressing 20 years is better.

Just because the game's core dynamic is about character interdependence, grouping, and slower combat/leveling curves, etc, does not mean we're going back 20 years. All it means is that there is at least enough demand out there by players would prefer those types of mechanics, whether you like it or not.

Look, I certainly don't have the time I did 15 years ago to play a game like this but that doesn't mean I can't play it at all. As with any hobby, it's a conscious decision one makes as to how much time they put into it. VR claims their target is for people to be able to play in 2 hour increments and accomplish shit. That seems a reasonable time frame for me 2-3 days a week so I'll be very curious to see how they pull that off, especially when finding groups was such a huge issue back in the day. But I'll reserve judgement on it until we actually see how they plan to accomplish this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
All of the so called hidden and discovered mechanics in EQ were in part to the internet still being relatively new to most people. If you think Pantheon won't be data mined with every quest, secret, easter egg, and every other feature mapped out on some site you are naive. The world has moved on, if Brad had any foresight or skill this guy would be working on bringing this type of game to a new medium such as VR instead it's a tired EQ clone. It's also amusing how many people state that he is going to add in all these so called "features" when all we have seen it more of the same.

This is true. Brad seems to have missed the boat on this one, and is still stuck back in his days of SMTP servers, FTP servers, and telnet (which I don't believe is still around?) days that it's pathetic. It's the equivalent of your grandpa saying, "Get off'a my lawn!"

Do you need some glasses? Because you obviously can't fucking read, either that or you are to fucking retarded to understand words. Tell us which it is?

And I think he was speaking of me. I care, but only to the point where coming here isn't fun anymore. Where my sadism is either fully satisfied or crushed.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
This is true. Brad seems to have missed the boat on this one, and is still stuck back in his days of SMTP servers, FTP servers, and telnet (which I don't believe is still around?) days that it's pathetic. It's the equivalent of your grandpa saying, "Get off'a my lawn!"

You have no idea what you're talking about lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
What Brad ends up doing is probably the only interesting thing about this game. At one time, he wasn't a big fan of some emergent gameplay for EQ. It will interesting what bugs make this game unique. It's really a form of god mode because it will have some really big bugs and Brad has never been good about fixing bugs. The new shit they are pushing? It's generic shit that is really fluff. It will be like picking which color socks in the morning. Additions that seem cool early, but will be boring, forgotten efforts later in the game's life.

WoW was far more difficult but it changed based on the fan base and the fan base is bored and wants instant gratification. This game may change everything back and it may be very good. Time will tell. We have plenty of that before a really playable version is close to finished.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am pretty close to buying a pre alpha package...ugh

W18kI_3fJl.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New Subject - How many people think non-instanced raiding is a good thing and how many people think it's shit?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, ill buy it. Wow and the 100 wow clones since soured me on mmos. Even in the beginning days of WoW, there was something about it that felt sterile compared to EQ.

Ive came back to Eq over the years but its just not the same with them trying to wowify it over the years. IMO WOW was the worst thing to happen to mmos.

From this stream this looks good for a pre apha build. As long as they put enough content in this shit will sell.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
New Subject - How many people think non-instanced raiding is a good thing and how many people think it's shit?

The problem is no one has solved the problem of non instanced raiding because the end game of non-instance raiding is poop-socking,bat phoning and guild monopolization.

I think it may be unsolvable

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The problem is no one has solved the problem of non instanced raiding because the end game of non-instance raiding is poop-socking,bat phoning and guild monopolization.

I think it may be unsolvable

Yeah, this is one thing IMO that they need to revisit. Shit will be monopolized, whether they like it or not.

I still liked the way AO did it back in the day, have instanced dungeons that are still social but with soft caps on the amount of people inside. So say, 25 people in instance 1, 2nd spawns. etc.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Non-instanced would be fine with short spawn times and loot system like WoW (only can be awarded loot on first kill of a week). But then what's the point of not having it instanced at that point?

Either you fuck over 99.9% of a server pop or piss off poop-sockers.

Sevens

Log Wizard
And here it is again. Fanboy-ism. I was once a fanboy, of Vanguard as a matter of fact. Then, the beta hit. And boy did that fanboy-ism dry up REAL fucking quick. I thought, "Hmm, there's no way that Brad can burn me twice. Surely, I can see through that." Boy was I fucking wrong. I have zero problems with you being a fanboy, I just wanted to point out to you that that's what you're being.

I mean, fuck, I don't even have a dog in this fight. I'm not buying the game, or any other MMO in the near future for that matter. I'm here for the lulz at Brad's expense.
Im sorry, I missed your point I think....I was asking about how to maybe improve an old skill system that lots on here seem to dislike...how the fuck is that Fanboy-ism?