Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Raign

Golden Squire
You guys are really dumb, and you are defending the indefensible.
I wasn't 10 levels higher at all, I was still level 50, I went to Karnor and got a Jade Mace that was better than the shit I spent entire weekends getting on a raid a month before. You are all morons for trying to argue this. Also it is funny you mention WoW, I played that game for less than a month, but they had a much better expansion policy that put EQ to shame.

I am not a huge fan of full gear resets either, but the EQ approach was much better than most games since. By comparison, I literally replaced my entire WoW vanilla raid set with greens by the end of the first zone and a half of TBC (and it got way worse from there) -- that is a full reset. Meanwhile in EQ, I used several items from each EQ generation right up to and including while raiding the next tier. I mean, what monk wasn't using their epic even at the end of Velious? Fungi tunic carried well into Vel raiding.. hell I even used my T staff through most of Vel as well because the stun was great for soloing.

You can argue that those are fringe cases, but lets be honest, so was the jade mace. There were very few true upgrades to raid level gear in early Kunark and most of those were camped to high heaven because people knew they weren't really balanced properly. And if you expecting at level 60 there would be no upgrades to level 50 gear, you haven't played an RPG before.

Legaeveth

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not to change the subject but I have a faint memory of a armor set that was either changed or removed at some point once the planes went in. I think it was a purple-ish armor. I googled around but couldn't remember anything close enough to get it right.

Let's also take a moment to remember rubicite camping. When I first started EQ on Solu Ro, I really thought getting a Ghoulbane and rubicite armor was going to be the death of me. Such good times.

You are talking about Lustrous Russet Armor that some of us got prior to the Plane of Fear being known by many. It was quickly taken out and only a few of us ever got to use it. After that they changed the armor sets up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
7dny5wE.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Why spend money on either? RMT doesnt actually effect a vast majority of players experience other than having to ignore spam bots. Just make a news post saying you banned 5,000 accounts every now and then and your players will be satisfied.

What happens when the gold sellers lock down all the spots and deny access to players?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You are talking about Lustrous Russet Armor that some of us got prior to the Plane of Fear being known by many. It was quickly taken out and only a few of us ever got to use it. After that they changed the armor sets up.

That's it!! I remember trying to get it myself but I don't think I ever won a piece. I'll have to look it up and check out the drop locations and stats. It was pretty nice from what I remember.

tyen

<Banned>
What happens when the gold sellers lock down all the spots and deny access to players?

what happens when uber guilds lock down shit. what happens when the majority of players lock down camps. Instance!

people locking down things so you cant get them isnt a problem, its part of the game

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
what happens when uber guilds lock down shit. what happens when the majority of players lock down camps. Instance!

people locking down things so you cant get them isnt a problem, its part of the game
I wish I could lock down camps...

in a browser :(

• 1Solidarity

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I also hate the gear resets that WoW, Rift and many other MMOs have opted to use in their games with new expansions. The EQ approach always made much more sense to me and from what I've read/heard from the VR team, it would suggest they feel the same way, which is great to hear.

However, the EQ approach did have a couple problems with this approach as time went on and I wonder if VR has thought through how they plan to handle it. For example, as much as I hate the gear reset approach, one benefit it does offer is allowing new or returning players the chance to jump right in and start playing with other people. With the EQ model, that same player is forced to start from scratch or back at where they previously left off, which may or may not be relevant or populated any more. That's not good.

This isn't much of a problem with the first or second expansion but becomes a much bigger issue as time goes on (think Secrets of Faydwer timeframe in EQ). By then, the level cap was something like 85. New players at that point were extremely rare but returning players were not. And many of those players had difficulty finding groups in old content or even raiding in casual guilds because they couldn't progress past it, etc.

An argument can be made that if the game makes it that far, it would've far surpassed everyone's expectations so who gives a shit at that point. My only point is I wonder if the VR team is thinking that far ahead and what plans they may have to address issues like these.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

People locking down camps for the purpose of RMT is definitely a problem. Hence why you have all the instancing going on now. EQ was great if you were in the top 1-2 guilds. For everyone else, I don't think a lot of them share that sentiment.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Tons of people loved EQ that never went to any serious raid

Lots of level locked PK chars on RZ too

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Playing the PvP server here

Won't have that problem

Tbh pvp is by far the best way to resolve all kinds of shitty things players do. Doesn't help the vast majority that don't want to play on a pvp server, of course.

I played on pvp servers for 95% of my EQ career and it was funny listening to people on pve servers complain about raid calendars etc.

Anyway, VR getting pvp right is an entirely other matter

kudos

<Banned>
Tbh pvp is by far the best way to resolve all kinds of shitty things players do. Doesn't help the vast majority that don't want to play on a pvp server, of course.

I played on pvp servers for 95% of my EQ career and it was funny listening to people on pve servers complain about raid calendars etc.

Anyway, VR getting pvp right is an entirely other matter

When I was in Awesome Possum in WoW (Flowers of Happiness WoW guild) we were on a PVP server but we just trolled our own faction instead. PVP couldn't help anyone then.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you had shit gear before Kunark and are pissed you got a single upgrade early on. No idea how that proves your claim that every single piece of gear was instantly obsolete.
Pretty sure Cloak of Flames from Nagafen and RBB from Vox both lasted for a long time and were always in demand as haste items were crucial for melee dps.

Even Selo's Drum lasted for bards until they got their epic, which would have been most of the Kunark expansion. Then you had plenty of other good shit, like my monk had one of the original guise of the deceivers that gave you ultravision that you could use as a human before they got changed. Or the 100% weight reduction bags from the dragons, etc.

tyen

<Banned>
People locking down camps for the purpose of RMT is definitely a problem. Hence why you have all the instancing going on now. EQ was great if you were in the top 1-2 guilds. For everyone else, I don't think a lot of them share that sentiment.

Doesn't matter the purpose.

Sitting at a camp nonstop farming coins for the purpose of funding crafting or RMT makes no difference. The camp is locked down regardless.

Instancing is because people are pissed they can't get in on the camp.

The longer it takes someone to get into a camp and achieve what they want to achieve is the longer that they are playing the game hoping one day they will achieve.

You can't just give everyone the camp via instancing, it's like running an emu and just giving everyone loot without letting them play 24/7 to obtain it. The purpose of a game is chasing the carrot. The longer you are trying to catch the carrot is the length of time you spend playing the game.

Well yeah when an expansion releases the items in it become better to allow shitty players (you) to go back and finish content easier + have more levels. That's how it's supposed to work.
No it isn't.

You seem to be missing that EQ had a lot of items that were relevant for many expansions - they just weren't power focused (illusion items, invis items, manastone, etc).
You are talking about a few clickies at the most, try harder.

So you had shit gear before Kunark and are pissed you got a single upgrade early on. No idea how that proves your claim that every single piece of gear was instantly obsolete.
How was it shit gear? It was the best weapons and armor in the game from raids. Rage on retard.

You can argue that those are fringe cases
I do. They could have done a much better job of it. And SOE really cashed in by making each expansion have much better gear, faster xp rates, and stuff like extra bank slots and spell slots etc. You paid a monthly subscription, and you also bought each mass produced expansion, or there was no point playing. And now they have 23 expansions because players are retards like this thread proves.

• 1Salty