Parent Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
That shit is hard to handle for grown adults. How much he hates it is an incentive for him to develop some motor skills so that he can do it himself!

If he's old enough to actually sort of understand you, plant that idea in his noggin. I mean a year and a half, probably not, but maybe he'll kinda get the gist of it.

Maybe hand him the brush with the toothpaste on it with, "You do. You do!" And then watch merrily as he brushes his ears.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My trick in getting my daughter to let me brush her teeth is for her to brush them, and daddy just "helps". She keeps her hand on the toothbrush (I enforce that she only needs 1 hand to use a toothbrush), and I let her go at it for a while, then I say something like great job. Daddy just wants to help you do it perfectly. Here we go!

She'll wrestle a little bit, but I always wait for her to "let" me do it. She was around a year and a half old before that method worked, but it's done well ever since.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
teeth brushing time has gotten a bit better in recent weeks, but we certainly went through the hell part. It always ended up with me sitting on my daughter and brushing vigorously while she cried and cried. It's actually easier to brush them when they are crying than happy, lol.
Its terrible to say, but when he screams like he's being murdered is the only time I can get the toothbrush in his mouth to get to work. Otherwise, there's no getting in there

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My daughter did that until I started taking turns with her. She would brush at first then I would say "My turn" and take over, then let her finish off. But before that it was screaming and holding her ass down to get it done.

Off topic: It kind of annoys me when i go into Target and see some woman with those giant carts meant to hold 3 kids, and they have 1 kid in there. And usually the kid is like 7 or 8 playing a cell phone/gameboy. I see people who actually have multiple kids making them walk, either on purpose or because all the big carts are taken by other people idk. But always these single kid families taking the giant carts. God damn people.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My daughter kind of half brushes her teeth, but whenever I try, she fucking clamps down on the brush. I can't get in there. I am able to get the fronts kind of.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
There certainly were difficult nights but when our girls started seeing me brush my teeth with them, they calmed down a lot about it. They love to do what we do. We also let them brush first then we do it for them. They ask to brush their teeth now.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe this is naive, but is brushing a toddler's teeth that important? Those teeth are all falling out in a couple years anyway right? I can see establishing the pattern, but is it really worth the battle to make sure they get them brushed well every day?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Good habit forming is one thing, but doesn't dismiss hygiene just because the teeth are going to fall out relatively soon. My wife works at a daycare and she's seen a few babies with a necrotic tooth. That can easily spread outside of the tooth to the gums or the adult tooth that forming underneath.

There's a reason the ACA requires health insurance to cover pediatric dentistry now.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
They're placeholders for the permanent teeth. Cavities are a bitch to treat in children. By not brushing you risk alienating your child to health professionals, not to mention the risk of sepsis, endocarditis etc. Children are less resistent. Establishing healthy dental habits is important, as early as possible.

Edit: what Deathwing said.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's just as much about keeping the gums healthy as the actual teeth healthy/clean. You don't want the gums receding and getting infected, they need to be healthy for those eventual permanent teeth.

lindz

#DDs
What is the best tablet for kids these days? My two year old is constantly stealing my tablet or phone to watch youtube or netflix because she likes to be able to have some aspect of control. Thinking of getting her a tablet for Christmas but haven't stayed in top of the best ones for kids. We had nabis for my older girls a few years ago and wasn't a huge fan of them. I'd rather not have something pre-loaded with a ton of dumb shit.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What is the best tablet for kids these days? My two year old is constantly stealing my tablet or phone to watch youtube or netflix because she likes to be able to have some aspect of control. Thinking of getting her a tablet for Christmas but haven't stayed in top of the best ones for kids. We had nabis for my older girls a few years ago and wasn't a huge fan of them. I'd rather not have something pre-loaded with a ton of dumb shit.
I know the Kids Kindle has a long protection plan and an armored case and such. Not that I worry about kid shit much though.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is what you get kids. 2 years - they will replace it if it breaks, no questions asked at all. A 2 year warranty on a computer a kid is going to carry around? Outstanding. Plus, it's a full tablet, totally functional, and comes with good parental controls - you can just tell your kid that it simply won't work except for the 30 minutes a day that you allow him/her to play on it. All kinds of good stuff like that.
Plus, nicely priced.

Fire HD Kids Edition - Amazons Tablet for Kids

Vaclav

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of - seems perfect for a kid without knowing how careful the specific kid is.

Crone

In the same vein, and maybe the Kids Kindle has it, but is there an app or anything that will lock any screen?

My kid isn't at all rough on mine or the wife's iPhone, but he'll constantly hit the home button, and then be pissed his show stopped. This would be for when streaming plex, or Netflix.

For my Nexus 7, the MX Player for movies has a lock button that works just fine, but it's when in other apps that there are problems.
frown.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just bought a new kindle hdx today, super cheap, like 150. I am going to load cyanogenmod on my old one and give it to my five year old.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In the same vein, and maybe the Kids Kindle has it, but is there an app or anything that will lock any screen?

My kid isn't at all rough on mine or the wife's iPhone, but he'll constantly hit the home button, and then be pissed his show stopped. This would be for when streaming plex, or Netflix.

For my Nexus 7, the MX Player for movies has a lock button that works just fine, but it's when in other apps that there are problems.
frown.png
For the iPhone/iPad there is a setting called guided access. It allows your to triple click the home button and lock it on whatever app you are currently using. TRiple click again and it will prompt you for your password in order to unlock guide access. Check settings it's somewhere in there.

Crone

For the iPhone/iPad there is a setting called guided access. It allows your to triple click the home button and lock it on whatever app you are currently using. TRiple click again and it will prompt you for your password in order to unlock guide access. Check settings it's somewhere in there.
Holy F you are amazing!! Thank you!