Parent Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Or since the kid wasn't getting out of bed leave him there to cry it out, one or two nights later and it might be resolved.

Now he knows there are options that include not sleeping in the bed.

Not saying to burn the crib in front of him and make him watch. Just disassemble it or move it into the garage and let him cry it out in the real bed. Then when it's closer to the new baby bring that crib back.

a_skeleton_03 is sage. Probably wiser than my next recommendation of bourbon.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last night after bath time and story time we said he had to sleep in his big boy bed. Asked if he wanted his stuffed animals and he got upset for s second so we said "ok, let's go to bed". He crawled in and slept like a rock for 12 hours.

He gets upset if people cheer and my wife was a little over excited this morning so he got a little upset, but definitely proud of the dude.

Also when he woke up he didn't get out of the bed until we came in haha. Not sure but I think he thought he'd get in trouble for getting out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Also when he woke up he didn't get out of the bed until we came in haha. Not sure but I think he thought he'd get in trouble for getting out.
DO NOT EVER LET HIM THINK OTHERWISE.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nap time today he went right to sleep. I don't want to say "that was easy", but he took to it really well

He doesn't quite understand he has a baby brother on the way, but he knows the "baby" is coming "soon" - his words

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I dont recall how old your kid is. But for whatever its worth, they rated my son "speech delayed" for hist first 2-3 years. He was our first, so we were mildly concerned.

Turns out my parents were right and its not really a thing. In my sons case, by the time he was 5 or 6 he had more than caught up. At eight years old, the kid now reads a few grade levels above his age, has a vocabulary on par with most college students, and can hold long conversations about space and physics shit.

Basically, my experience has led me to believe speech delay is incredibly overdiagnosed and we should probably all not worry about it. Theres probably exceptions, but I've met several other parents who had the same experience. I bet your kid catches up with or without the extra hours.

As the parent of an exception, I'll reinforce the idea that there are definitely exceptions -- our 4 year old is delayed -- and that it is definitely a thing. There is a fine line between the notion of "overdiagnosed" and "better understood". Autism is a great example of this. I've seen, elsewhere on these forums (though, grain of salt here, we're talking autism) that autism is everywhere now and is the new fad. Nah, we just know a lot more about it now. If I'd been diagnosed, as a kid, in today's world, I'd have been labeled as well. We didn't know nearly as much about the condition back in the 70s/80s, so I had to find my own way, and that's fine -- it works for most high-functioning people.

Playing the waiting game right now to see how close our daughter is to "normal" before she enters JK in Sept. She's come a really long way since we got SLT/OT for her, to the point where she can express herself a whole lot more than she could, but she's definitely not at a "normal" level for a four-year-old.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Nap time today he went right to sleep. I don't want to say "that was easy", but he took to it really well

He doesn't quite understand he has a baby brother on the way, but he knows the "baby" is coming "soon" - his words

Just wait till he sees you and mom paying attention to the baby and not him. You will see him seek attention in all sorts of ways. You'll have to make sure and give him enough attention so he doesn't feel needy.

• 1Solidarity

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Just wait till he sees you and mom paying attention to the baby and not him. You will see him seek attention in all sorts of ways. You'll have to make sure and give him enough attention so he doesn't feel needy.

Easy solution to this: Get him involved. Need a clean diaper/cloth/whatever? Ask him to get it for you. It's the little things for a toddler, and they add up. This is working out for us whenever our daughter seems to want to get involved. Often she'll just go play on her own when we're busy with the baby.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

I think I spotted why that works for you.

Boys will throw blocks at the baby's head to get attention. Girls are actually nurturing and helpful. It's some real shit.

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Nah, they only do that if you let them get away with it. She threw something at him once and we ended that shit right there and then.

I mean, we ended it for the next 5 minutes. Because toddlers gonna toddle.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's something I'll struggle with I think. Right he's my dude and if I'm honest my best friend next to my wife and dog. Gonna be weird when the new dude is here.

Also he's super attached to me still so I don't know how he'll take it.

We had a small glimmer of hope the other day when he was playing with my sisters 9 month old. He sat down on the floor next to her and played with her gently and gave her hugs and kisses (no filter). He threw one of the biggest temper tantrum I've ever seen when we asked him to give his ball to the kid though.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It's something I'll struggle with I think. Right he's my dude and if I'm honest my best friend next to my wife and dog. Gonna be weird when the new dude is here.

Also he's super attached to me still so I don't know how he'll take it.

We had a small glimmer of hope the other day when he was playing with my sisters 9 month old. He sat down on the floor next to her and played with her gently and gave her hugs and kisses (no filter). He threw one of the biggest temper tantrum I've ever seen when we asked him to give his ball to the kid though.
That's straight up fucking normal. My 4 year old loses his shit if his brother&sister take his "spot on the couch". YOU WEREN'T EVEN SITTING DOWN.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Sharing is a tough one. It's not a necessity, it's a social contract, and what the hell do toddlers know about social contracts?

We haven't hit that bridge with our two yet (our son is 7 weeks old, so, yeah), but I'm hoping that by the time he's mobile and caring about playing with toys like that, she'll be too absorbed with other stuff to care. She'll be 5 when he turns 1, so I'd say we'll probably be fine.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This morning my tween kid sat on the couch and grabbed a blanket and my toddler ran up there and decided to "fight him" for the blanket. Yea when you are 35lbs you should jump on a 100lb kid. That'll work out. He then cried saying his big brother hit him. I watched the whole thing from the balcony and told the bigger kid not to hurt the little one but that he doesn't have to give the blanket either and let them sort it out. I heard some crying but they worked it out.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well he's in a toddler group for early intervention and shares fine. Also shares fine with another girl he plays with. It might have just been overwhelming or he was tired. Can't decipher toddlerese

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well he's in a toddler group for early intervention and shares fine. Also shares fine with another girl he plays with. It might have just been overwhelming or he was tired. Can't decipher toddlerese
Well, at the toddler group, I'm guessing they aren't toys he has a huge attachment with. Having to share stuff that he knows is his (at his house, etc), is different.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
As the parent of an exception, I'll reinforce the idea that there are definitely exceptions -- our 4 year old is delayed -- and that it is definitely a thing. There is a fine line between the notion of "overdiagnosed" and "better understood". Autism is a great example of this. I've seen, elsewhere on these forums (though, grain of salt here, we're talking autism) that autism is everywhere now and is the new fad. Nah, we just know a lot more about it now. If I'd been diagnosed, as a kid, in today's world, I'd have been labeled as well. We didn't know nearly as much about the condition back in the 70s/80s, so I had to find my own way, and that's fine -- it works for most high-functioning people.

Playing the waiting game right now to see how close our daughter is to "normal" before she enters JK in Sept. She's come a really long way since we got SLT/OT for her, to the point where she can express herself a whole lot more than she could, but she's definitely not at a "normal" level for a four-year-old.
I should be clear: I wasnt saying theres no such thing as a speech delay that requires or would benefit from intervention.

Just that my parents position was: "All kids learn to talk. Speech delay is only a thing for the first couple years, then they all catch up". And for my first kid, that was true. He was "delayed" early, but has more than made up for it later. I suspect its true for a lot of kids diagnosed as "speech delayed". Perhaps not all.

(My girls never shut up, but theyre girls.)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My two youngest girls both had speech delays. One was fixed by tubes in the ears, basically overnight. The other was not and required intervention. Even after over a year of speech therapy there are still times I don't know what the fuck she is saying, let's not even get into a stranger interpreting what she says. She is vastly improved over where she was. Our school psychiatrist pointed us to the research, it seems legit to me and I have seen a huge improvement over a relatively short period of time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Talking with my son is definitely like I know some foreign language no one else but my wife knows. For instance "haba" was "van" for a week weeks. "cowrl" was "car". He's obsessed with cars. Other people are like what. He's doing exceedingly well now though, started putting two words together which I guess is the next step. He's still in early intervention until he's 3 and I have no intention of pulling him.

Last night was funny. We heard a thud and thought he fell.out of bed, but no crying and when we looked he was back asleep. Woke up hard crying this morning and when we went in he was sleeping on top of this giant book of cars he brought into bed. He was crying because of how uncomfortable it was

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep, our daughter did the same thing the other night. *THUD*. By the time I got to the door, she was back in bed and apparently asleep. God damn, I wish I could sleep like that.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Talking with my son is definitely like I know some foreign language no one else but my wife knows. For instance "haba" was "van" for a week weeks. "cowrl" was "car". He's obsessed with cars. Other people are like what. He's doing exceedingly well now though, started putting two words together which I guess is the next step. He's still in early intervention until he's 3 and I have no intention of pulling him.

Last night was funny. We heard a thud and thought he fell.out of bed, but no crying and when we looked he was back asleep. Woke up hard crying this morning and when we went in he was sleeping on top of this giant book of cars he brought into bed. He was crying because of how uncomfortable it was
Does he have a tongue tie?