Parent Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Didnt watch the videos, if they're even close to how the article portrays them then thank fake god for taking their kids away. The fuck man.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah at first, I didn't know anything about it, then I watched a few. This poor 9 year old. :(

They were making 200-350k a year. Seriously. How is that even possible #1. And #2 - who the hell would do this to a 9 year old kid.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You've been a part of this community for a long time. You have doubts that some people are literally the scum of the earth?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Meh. Most of the trolling here is just trolling for entertainment. And anonymous through the internet. I would have serious doubts anyone here is capable of this. Albeit, there was the whole Ohio lady thing. People here know when to draw the line I would say between the art of trolling and something like this. I guess I could be wrong.

I hadn't even heard this was a thing until it reached national headlines and they had 2 kids taken away from CPS.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think that a lot of people really misunderstand how thin the dividing line between pranking and cruelty can be. When you're a shitty person at the core, it's easy to step over the line, because you're acting on what you think is funny. Who knows. They seem pretty screwed up to me, but all that is is a lack of inhibition. A whole lot more people probably think this shit up and know better than to actually do it.

I hadn't heard of this, but somehow, it doesn't really surprise me, especially when there's that kind of money involved. The truly alarming aspect of all of this is that there are that many people willing to fork over cash to these guys in order to see more of this behaviour. I mean, that's not really anonymous -- they're sending money through some sort of service that logs the activity -- so doesn't that make them all accessories to this bullshit?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I was wondering if this was subscription level or just ad revenue. Maybe both.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I assumed it was ad revenue. If people actually gave money to these people through some kind of service then I just don't even know what the fuck.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well, they weren't specific, and I'm not about to watch all of the videos to see if they're asking for donations. I'd be willing to bet that they are, though. We're not talking high moral ground to begin with here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The daughter is 3 months today. Over 15lbs, over 25". Kicks and pisses like a little pony. Starting to laugh quite a bit and roll onto her side at will.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Kids turned 1.5 years a couple of days ago, they do not share well at all. One likes to bite when one of the others tries to take something from him. I mean it's a pretty effective maneuver, but he has left some serious bruises

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
God bless your soul for dealing with triplets

@daddyoffive, just don't want that shit. It ain't pranks. If I saw the dude in real life I would beat his body into shallow grave

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Kids turned 1.5 years a couple of days ago, they do not share well at all. One likes to bite when one of the others tries to take something from him. I mean it's a pretty effective maneuver, but he has left some serious bruises
614Ob8PCQNL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We taught our kids quick by biting them when they bit.

Every parent we know did the same thing as cruel as it sounds.

• 1Solidarity

agripa

Molten Core Raider
My kids preschool teacher made him wear an autism vest because he was being hyper. Why is this triggering me so much. The kid is three of course he is going to be hyper.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Because the teacher isn't qualified to diagnose any medical conditions. Unless he/she decided to change careers and take a 70% paycut.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Because the teacher isn't qualified to diagnose any medical conditions. Unless he/she decided to change careers and take a 70% paycut.

My kids preschool teacher made him wear an autism vest because he was being hyper. Why is this triggering me so much. The kid is three of course he is going to be hyper.

Yeah, there was a lawsuit here when a kindergarten teacher made one of her students wear the vest. It had awesome, immediate effects, but because she isn't licensed to make diagnoses of this sort, the parents sued the shit out of the school board. Ridiculous. I understand there might be some stigma attached to wearing the vest, and certainly the teacher should speak to the parents first, but this just seems like a good tool for teachers and I think they should be allowed to do it.

Having said that, I've never been in your shoes ToeMissile. I don't know how I'd have reacted. Can you articulate your anger?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I wouldn't be upset if they did that to my youngest daughter. Difference is though, she actually has autism and was diagnosed and has an IEP and all that shit. I'd still be a little put out that they didn't cover that with me as a possibility, and also I know my daughter and if they tried to put that vest on her she would have the tantrum to end all fucking tantrums. But I wouldn't be upset really.

This is all under the assumption that there was an actually real problem and that we're talking about my kid who actually has autism. If it was one of my other kids or if it was some "she was hyper" bs, yeah I would be pissed.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There is stigma attached to wearing the vest; for the parents, not so much the child. When you say "autism" to a lot of people, they react as if you've just insulted them or their child. Of course, being the parent of an autistic child, I tend to treat people who think that autism is an insult with about as much care as I would a mosquito -- I swat them away because they're annoying.

That said, "the kid is three, of course he's going to be hyper" is potentially just as wrong as "wear this vest because you're being three and I don't want to deal". If there's a behavioural issue, and the teacher isn't just being a tool, get it checked out sooner rather than later. I know you're likely to get your shoulders up with just the mention of something possibly wrong with your kid, but don't trust that instinct. I almost did and my daughter would never have gotten the help she needed/needs if I had.

Edit: This is not in defense of the teacher's actions. Unless there's a diagnosis, they shouldn't be doing that shit.

• 1Like