Parent Thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So my wife picked up the newest version of Uno for my 6 year old. I've been forced to play it a few times, and a lot has changed from previously. It's almost 2 games in one. Each card is double-sided. You play the light side at first, then people randomly have a flip card, so you swap over to the dark side. At the same time, you also flip your draw and discard piles. I'll be honest... Even though it's uno, I don't hate it.

I may have to pick that up just so we can move on from playing uno ever again. Uno and monopoly make me lose the will to live any time someone wants to play them.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I feel like a fucking ATM.

College books
Tuition
Cars and insurance
and everything else.
Plus, my youngest needs new hockey sticks. He really does, he's not wrong. These are the adult sticks he will use forever until they break. Each stick is over $400. damn.

Two of my kids are entirely self sufficient, and that is delightful, not just because I'm not spending money on them, but because all the money, support, holding, and everything else has put them in a position where they are not yet 25, but they are looking at amazing careers, buying a home, all that. So that's amazing. Seems like I'm doing something right.

I had to write checks for tuition and books and living accommodations, insurance of various sorts, flights for kids studying overseas this semester, blah blah blah. It hurts at the moment, but I look at the two of mine who went through this and came out ready to be responsible and are doing just that. And that's rewarding.

No, I don't have to pay for any of these things. My wife and I chose to do this for our children. We have the means. We get them through their undergrad with no debt, with a car they own, and with $10K to get themselves a place and pay at least 3 months rent in advance. Many will say I'm coddling them. I don't believe that. I did not have these things provided by my parents, neither did my wife. We are helping to ensure their future, and what parent doesn't want to do that?

Sorry, just a bit of venting. I spent over $100K today. I don't even know what the purpose of this post is. Parenting is hard.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

College books
Tuition
Cars and insurance
and everything else.
Plus, my youngest needs new hockey sticks. He really does, he's not wrong. These are the adult sticks he will use forever until they break. Each stick is over $400. damn.

Two of my kids are entirely self sufficient, and that is delightful, not just because I'm not spending money on them, but because all the money, support, holding, and everything else has put them in a position where they are not yet 25, but they are looking at amazing careers, buying a home, all that. So that's amazing. Seems like I'm doing something right.

I had to write checks for tuition and books and living accommodations, insurance of various sorts, flights for kids studying overseas this semester, blah blah blah. It hurts at the moment, but I look at the two of mine who went through this and came out ready to be responsible and are doing just that. And that's rewarding.

No, I don't have to pay for any of these things. My wife and I chose to do this for our children. We have the means. We get them through their undergrad with no debt, with a car they own, and with $10K to get themselves a place and pay at least 3 months rent in advance. Many will say I'm coddling them. I don't believe that. I did not have these things provided by my parents, neither did my wife. We are helping to ensure their future, and what parent doesn't want to do that?

Sorry, just a bit of venting. I spent over $100K today. I don't even know what the purpose of this post is. Parenting is hard.
The trick is to teach them to not take it for granted and to see the value in the many forms of hard work.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

College books
Tuition
Cars and insurance
and everything else.

I told my kid I was raising her rent to $600/month this year, because utilities have gone up so fucking much and she just sits on the internet all day.

She sent me $7200 with a note saying "see ya next year."

A wise man once said "Raise your kids so you can spoil your grandkids, or spoil your kids and you'll raise your grandkids."

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Absolutely no need for a $400 stick. Buy last year's model for $250.

Absolutely true, but I've been looking for 2 weeks and can't find them. I have always been successful in this, but this year I just can't find them. The only way I'm justifying the cost is that he will be able to use these sticks for many years as he is about one growing.

I told my kid I was raising her rent to $600/month this year, because utilities have gone up so fucking much and she just sits on the internet all day.

She sent me $7200 with a note saying "see ya next year."

A wise man once said "Raise your kids so you can spoil your grandkids, or spoil your kids and you'll raise your grandkids."

I'm looking very much forward to spoiling my grandkids, and I hope very much my own children see what my wife and I have done for them. I believe they do. They often thank us, and for specific things. Things like "I am so grateful for my education, thank you" and the like. I hope I haven't spoiled my children, I hope they see it for what it is.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The trick is to teach them to not take it for granted and to see the value in the many forms of hard work.

Excellent point. I believe they do see that. Each of my kids had a job through high school. They agreed to let me take 50% of their earning and put it in a special account. When they get to university I turn that account over to them to use as spending money. One of my oldest daughters (twins) had what I felt was a very important conversation with me, asking if all the money was actually what she earned. I guaranteed it was, and we looked back through the deposit history. It was a great teaching moment.

• 2Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Any of you know about some online writing class we could sign my daughter up for so she could learn to write things? Not just factual things she's lived through, or ways to make a better report, but creative writing as well. Thanks.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Any of you know about some online writing class we could sign my daughter up for so she could learn to write things? Not just factual things she's lived through, or ways to make a better report, but creative writing as well. Thanks.
Introduce her to the Pantheon thread.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What age group is your daughter?