Path of Exile

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The game seems horribly suited for console but whatever. I just don't really understand how it'll function since the game spunks loot at you that you actively want to pick up it just seems like a nightmare with a controller.

Diablo 3 console handles loot fairly well through stuff like auto selling garbage. But inventory management is always a little harder with a controller than with a mouse. As far as game-play goes I preferred playing Diablo 3 with a controller. I didn't miss the massive amount of constant clicking involved in moving a character around in games like this. As long as their control scheme is on par with Diablo 3 it'll be fine for console gamers.

I'm wondering how targeting will work for bosses. Map bosses and end game bosses in PoE have layers and some are raid events that require very fast targeting and reactions.

Maybe this is something that will be addressed specifically for console. If anything is dumbed down it'd be something like this.

I hope they do something to make trading easier because if PoE is still using an external website to make it manageable that's retarded. Even if they don't change anything it would still get used. I play Warframe on Xbone now and it uses an archaic bazaar + auction channel system that is similar to EQ's initial bazaar. I was surprised to find it very active.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't see why looting or gameplay would be an issue, they both work excellent in the Diablo 3 console versions.

The two games handle loot completely differently. Outside of needing to dust for reagents there is zero reason to ever look at a rare item in D3. In PoE you want to always pick up and ID certain bases. This isn't a mega huge deal on PC since you can easily point and click, ID, drop. This is a bit more of a labor intensive process on controller. Possibly they'll remove scrolls of wisdom in the console version but that only addresses one step of a labor intensive process. You'd still have to pick up and inspect a ton of stuff. You simply don't have those problems in D3 since the only stuff you really give a damn to give any thought cycles about are legendaries and sets.

There is also the problem where loot filters generally need to be updated on a patch-by-patch basis to keep up with the economy and meta. I'm sure the default loot filter provided by GGG will be simply trying to get rid of worthless bases and magics. Or maybe they'll provide a UI to try and custom craft it but I doubt they'd let you set a border for each unique item specifically. The good thing about Neversink is you often times know if you should even pick up/ID some unique garbage that dropped.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Welp i'm done with this league. Got a t16 the other day, rolled it today and hit 151% quant, 48% pack size sea witches... 0 map drops, not even a measly t5 or anything. Hell, i think the map only dropped about 10 rares total on top of that. Not to mention the boss fight wasn't even close to enjoyable. 5 portals and 10 minutes of spinning on him and dropping totems and I think I did about 15% of his hps when I ran out of portals (first add phase finished off my last portal).

Might come back for next league but probably not. Atlas leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I had to buy 99% of my maps above t8 to even unlock them/progress at all.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
After I unlocked a ton of the maps I started getting a good amount of t10+ map drops but I had to buy most of them originally. Even once I had about half of the t10 to t13 maps unlocked, I got a decent amount of t10 and t11 drops but I still never got ones that were actual upgrades on the paths, just random ones I had already had unlocked. The one time I got lucky was when I was working to t15s and I got two path upgrades back to back from whatever > volcano > core but I ran 10+ copies of a lot of the t10s and t11s without advancing the path at all.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Basically what Zombie says, not buying your progress is a waste of time. Then you have the whole issue with optimizing your atlas to make even more money, which IMO should be changed, since it's very much a rich get richer problem.

I think I'm done with the league, I could buy like the next 3-4 challenges, but no will to do so and even then I'd be like 2 challenges short. Unless the next mechanic blows my mind, I'll wait for 3.0, breach is fun, but in the end it's really grindy when you need 20 breaches for a single keystone.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Isn't the next time they introduce new mechanics/features 3.0 anyway? In like two months?
They said there will be 1 more league before 3.0, while they will be doing final work on the expansion. It remains to be seen whether it will just be padding like darkshrines 2.0, all mods enabled or something new.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So a short league that also ends in march when 3.0 drops? Or another 3 month league and 3.0 pushed to summer?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It was Rampage iirc that fucked their servers, they turned that one off and then it worked alright. Although I remember playing that league and any day with Beyond in the group(it was like 4mods at once, rotating) was a fucking pain in the ass if you weren't like already geared/leveled/played a good skill. It's a nice mod on maps, but not so much in act3 normal or whatever, especially when there's also Onslaught and Nemesis and whatever the fuck else.

Still overall fun for short leagues. But the next league is a full new system league like usual, there's too much time left until the expansion.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Basically what Zombie says, not buying your progress is a waste of time. Then you have the whole issue with optimizing your atlas to make even more money, which IMO should be changed, since it's very much a rich get richer problem.

I think I'm done with the league, I could buy like the next 3-4 challenges, but no will to do so and even then I'd be like 2 challenges short. Unless the next mechanic blows my mind, I'll wait for 3.0, breach is fun, but in the end it's really grindy when you need 20 breaches for a single keystone.

You might be doing something different it sounds like. What I do costs 0 money to control your atlas drops and has nothing to do with being rich or the rich getting richer.

1) New league drops and you run all maps up T10 while ignoring anything directly connected to what you want to shape.
2) Once ready for T11 you can join /trade 820 which has hordes of people doing nothing but trading maps for weeks into a new league.
3) You trade for maps you don't have working on atlas % completion.

I did that to guarantee my shaped maps and it cost me nothing. I don't do anything but chisel and alch maps and my stash is overflowing with maps.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
So.... you traded for a bunch of maps is what you're saying (and what we said). I just did it with chaos instead of other maps.

I have a bunch of red maps in my tab now too but to get them initially unlocked I had to buy them/trade for them. I much preferred when I could just run the highest tier maps I had regardless of which map it was and the only thing I cared about was getting an even or +1 drop or two.

Last edited:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
You might be doing something different it sounds like. What I do costs 0 money to control your atlas drops and has nothing to do with being rich or the rich getting richer.

1) New league drops and you run all maps up T10 while ignoring anything directly connected to what you want to shape.
2) Once ready for T11 you can join /trade 820 which has hordes of people doing nothing but trading maps for weeks into a new league.
3) You trade for maps you don't have working on atlas % completion.

I did that to guarantee my shaped maps and it cost me nothing. I don't do anything but chisel and alch maps and my stash is overflowing with maps.
FYI If you are fast you can sell t8-10 for chaos a piece in the first week. Running t10+ has never been a problem, however to progress through the red atlas without getting the maps from others is really random. You can buy t12 and get t13 and t14 right off the bat, or you can be stuck grinding bazaar/wasteland for a week. Rinse and repeat every tier, which gets even more tiring when you don't have a built up stash of the lower tier maps. Not to mention continually running your highest unlocked maps is inefficient if you don't have +2 tiers unlocked, so you can be wasting map drops. On top of that, you have to keep selling your drops to get a return on the chaos/chisels invested, which isn't happening if you aren't logged in, or just annoys you when you want to kill shit ...

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
About 40 minutes in, you can hear how AH is going to kill PoE or that it will lead to soulbound items.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting back into POE casually after a long time out (I think I stopped when Awakening was released). Any tips for a returning player regarding builds and stuff? I think I played a Lightning ranger build last time but have no idea how to build again or what build is beginner friendly. Any help is much appreciated.