Path of Exile

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
IIRC Unique maps never had the league mods, so of course if you throw 3 leaguestones on top of them, you gonna get destroyed. There are tools to deal with bump in difficulty, be it TP abuse, different flask config, or swapping out gems, you just have to know which options could be useful to you and have it prepared. Alternatively, just ask in guild chat or 820, people like clearing unique maps just for the drops and atlas unlocks. Dead penalties start sucking at 90+, until then it's 1-2 maps and if you are dying every other map, then you need to rethink your build and gear. However I can understand being hesitant to try new stuff, I killed Atziri only last year despite playing for like 2 years, simply because I felt like I would brick the set, or it was better to sell it. Of course, I absolutely facerolled through the whole thing, but all the other endgame encounters have significantly higher costs.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Pro-tip that I learned early Deathwing Deathwing

Try new content shortly after a level up because you can never delevel from death. That is how I kill the last guy every season I play. Just Zerg him with twenty deaths if I need to. Of course your portals will disappear on maps but not losing xp unnecessarily helps keep the frustration lower.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Zaphid Zaphid What do you mean, brick the set? Is getting a map key for those encounters that expensive?

@a_skeleton_03 I do that sometimes while leveling a character. Still doesn't feel good to cheese a bad mechanic.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Zaphid Zaphid What do you mean, brick the set? Is getting a map key for those encounters that expensive?

@a_skeleton_03 I do that sometimes while leveling a character. Still doesn't feel good to cheese a bad mechanic.
It's a ton cheaper now for the rarer midnight fragment or just buying all four. But I would guess brickING meaning getting killed 6 times for not knowing the fights or a lack of dps.

If you know the fights you can do all of them with 1hp but a second of lag or a weird setup can kill you in like 1 shot.

I always play a summon raging spirit build for my first guy of each league to just farm without much effort. once you get level 20 gems in even a 4 link you can just kill everything in about 35 seconds in the atziri map if you know to avoid the storm calls and the super chaos damage from the trio.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
It's a ton cheaper now for the rarer midnight fragment or just buying all four. But I would guess brickING meaning getting killed 6 times for not knowing the fights or a lack of dps.

If you know the fights you can do all of them with 1hp but a second of lag or a weird setup can kill you in like 1 shot.

I always play a summon raging spirit build for my first guy of each league to just farm without much effort. once you get level 20 gems in even a 4 link you can just kill everything in about 35 seconds in the atziri map if you know to avoid the storm calls and the super chaos damage from the trio.
Have a link to the build?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

You get 1 attempt per Uber lab key, 6 attempts per Atziri set. If you find out your build isn't good enough, you are effectively losing money. It becomes a lot moree painful with uber atziri.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Deathwing Deathwing I feel you. I have 800+ hr into this game and still I'm confused why I just seem to randomly die to some shit. I'm well aware it isn't random in the sense but the game is horrible at communicating your death in many cases. And for a game that is all about quick clearing some mobs are not very well communicated at a glance of "if you melee kill this guy expect to die as well."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Aye. Volatiles and Corrupting Bloods are my number 1 killer. Oh, I supposed to notice those small red orbs or that squishing noise(that may be on my ice golem only) in all this visual and auditory noise?

A coworker caught me watching a D3 video a while back and he said it was too noisy, how are you supposed to notice shit happening? I replied you get used to it and Blizzard does a good job of pointing out the true dangers. And this goes directly in hand with my death penalty rant. Someone dies and there goes their last hour or two(or maybe even day?), they get mad at the wasted time instead of learning from their mistake.

I'll probably come back for 3.0 if only because I uninstalled the game a couple days ago and instantly had trouble deciding what to play next. This game could be really killer if it would stop tripping over itself. "hardcore" does not always mean good.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure PoE is already "killer"; 40% increase in players since the last content update, it was the third most active game on Steam for the 2.6 release.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think the lead dev quoted ~110k for opening day of 2.6? Maybe my perspective is off, but I'd expect that to be much higher if the game was to stand on its own merits. How many people are playing recently because they're just plain hungry for ARPG and D3 stagnated?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think the lead dev quoted ~110k for opening day of 2.6? Maybe my perspective is off, but I'd expect that to be much higher if the game was to stand on its own merits. How many people are playing recently because they're just plain hungry for ARPG and D3 stagnated?
It's also a game that grows purely by the word of mouth, similarly to Warframe, but also very newbie unfriendly. I think GGG said that like 80-90% of new players fail to kill Brutus, which is a pretty brutal statistic for a game designer.

I'd say that number is pretty solid, since friday is a pretty shitty day for gaming, people go out or have longer plans and some good games have come out lately.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
That seems pretty high for concurrent players for an ARGP for me, I don't have anything to compare against as I don't think Blizzard really gives out numbers for Diablo 3? And sure, alot of that is that D3 is pretty much crap right now and POE is really the only alternative, but they are opening up in China and a port to Xbox as well. PoE is only getting bigger and bigger.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I hope that translate to game quality. For how long the game has been out, it's still quite rough in some areas. Who's the guy I triggered in guild chat when I mentioned I wish they had a MTX for a pet that would pick up currency like D3? He didn't think of it until I mentioned it but every half hour, he kept bringing it up because of how much it bothered him. I think he was drinking too. He even added onto it like currency should directly to stash instead of taking up inventory room, which is a good idea too.

Tenks

I think the argument would be that inventory management is an aspect of the game. You're not SUPPOSED to be picking everything up. Picking up currency comes with an opportunity cost. Is that a valid argument? The game designer in me says no but PoE also is catering to a different crowd than I think people like you and me DW. I still greatly enjoy PoE for what it is but I don't consider it the end-all be-all game like some others.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I think the different crowd thing is part of it. I like POE because it still has that loot hunt aspect that I really enjoyed about D2 back in the day. D3 is good for the instant fix of just logging in for an hour or whatever and killing monsters. I mean in Breach league I flipped my shit when I found a Shav's like a week into the league as I knew I was set for a while, currency wise. I don't get that same sense of exhilaration with D3, i mean fuck you get a full armor set like twenty minutes after hitting level cap for basically doing nothing. Farming loot, selling it and rerolling a more OP character is just a game loop I enjoy I suppose.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, the opportunity cost is MORE GLORIOUS KILLING. I haven't heard one person complain about not being able to pick up gold in D3. Or later all the tradeskill mats. I can accept that there are people that find that part of the game fun, just haven't met them yet I guess.

It's a bit inconsistent to allow people to buy specialized stash tabs, thus bypassing some of the inventory management of your stash, but not when in combat. And it's MUCH more important when in combat. Picking up stuff breaks the flow of combat(shit, my power charges are going to drop!). Stopping to pick up should be reserved for the truly special, not the mundane scrolls. Kill, move, kill, move, kill, move, ooh shiny, kill, move.

• 1Like

Tenks

I'm actually trying to streamline my mapping so I can just keep chaining maps back to back to back. Which basically means I need to have a quad-tab "dumping" grounds where everything I pick up just gets liquidated into that tab after each map and then I filter/sell/sort it after a play session. This is horribly tedious and I'm not sure if it is actually worth my sanity. Everytime I need to sell/sort this tab I'd rather die. I wish the game assisted me better in actually moving things from temporary inventory storage to long-term storage but even with MTX currency/essence/card tabs I still have to manually click things around. It is super, super tedious.

• 1Like