Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Finally broke down and gave in to flask spamming :( The cadence of kill, move, flask IS starting to feel good though. Shield charge is probably the best movement skill I've used so far.

Thinking on this a bit more, I think the problem stems from the game doing a poor job of transitioning you from leveling usage of flasks(reactionary or travel) to mapping usage of flasks(pretty much all the time). This transitioning problem even extends into other facets of the game. This is now at least the second character where those last few levels getting to 68(where a nice juicy weapon awaits) have been quite frustrating.

This isn't a new problem to the genre. D3 "solves" it by just completely leapfrogging it. You go from leveling to rifting quite quickly.

Just some random thoughts. Been looking at completing the season achievements up to the portal MTX. Some of these seem to have quite the time investment.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm at the same point when it comes to the challenges. I like to use the totem poles in hideouts and would prefer to either stop at 24 or go for 36. Obviously 24 is a given, missing some vaal bosses and only being 88, easy shit. But I don't know if I want to commit up to another month for 36 since I have some other stuff coming up. Would be nice to know when the league ends, if they extend it by 2-6 weeks to match the expansion release it would be np to hit 36.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Flask spamming is the absolute worst. When one of your "mechanics" is accomplished by setting up a script/macro its a bad mechanic.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Video itself has some slightly interesting information but the real reason I'm posting it is you can see the fucking screen janking going on. Don't even listen, don't care, but just watch the gameplay and you can see occasional pauses. I get the same thing, some areas worse, some of them completely free of the problem. I really wish there was a way to fix it.

T Tenks Yeah, I didn't mean as an incidental endorsement of the mechanic. Kinda like burning-house-dog "this is fine". I'm currently at 3 flasks because I don't have a diamond flask of staunching and can't afford a Taste of Hate yet. So, 123 every time I encounter a large pack or mage/rares, it's not terrible.

It would be terrible if I had other fucking skills to press though. Delaying your skills even just to toss out a curse or whatever is a big fucking no. DPS must go out asap otherwise your leeching and other characteristics suffer badly.

Tenks

I'm running a cleave/blood explosion Gladiator and if I run into a large pack of shit that has minion invuln and then like 100 things explode at once even on SSD my game locks up for at least 1 second. Though that is somewhat to be expected. This game isn't the most optimized gem in the world.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's a difference between FPS performance and whatever this issue is. Particularly dangerous strongboxes can cause my FPS to stutter, but I know what that looks like. The issue I have, according to their in-game FPS monitor, 60 FPS the whole time.

Tenks

If it makes you feel any better opening strongboxes now is about 1000x better than what it originally was :)

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The game was basically unplayable without SSD around Talisman, since loading any new assets during a map froze the game. It's much better now, but they are still wrangling with the engine and I have no fucking clue why it keeps crashing on my laptop every hour or two, Dx9 and 11 modes halve my fps but somehow solve the crashes ... Not to mention non-existent settings, unless you go dive into config files and turn the game into something that looks like Runescape.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I've been having issues since the patch before Legacy league. Crashed about twice per night too. I turned off multithreading and that fixed the crashes, but doesn't exactly help performance in general. The strangest part is that the hiccups do not seem related to hardware or internet restraints. I've given up fiddling with settings and just deal with it for now, hoping they find a fix on their end.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I had a max block Gladiator with Sunder/Static shock and an aurabot. I was at like 20 APS and if I hit a group with a 'cannot die' boss or totem out of range I would literally freeze my game for double digit seconds. It would happen in Breaches a ton before they removed the 'cannot die' aura from breach rares. I would just wait and sit there and my aurabot would be like "yeah, they're dead. You're just sitting there."

They have a lot of problem with in game calculations I think. Same deal with wildstrike and aurabot. I couldn't use it with him because everytime he went in/out of range it would try to calculate the tooltip DPS and freeze up for1-2 seconds because Wildstrike's calculations are super complicated. Once I moved to pure Sunder or Static strike all that shit stopped.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Deathwing Deathwing you can join /trade 820 the same channel for map trading early on is all about challenges. Its pretty easy to do 36/40 and really not that bad to do 40/40.

Have you dipped your toes into the pool and done any guardians from T16's yet?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No, I keep finding reasons to restart characters. Flicker assassin -> cyclone raider -> howa ST raider -> FB raider. I think I'm sticking with the last one, but it means I've played for "a while" but I'm further behind than one would expect.

As for guardians, T16, "endgame" stuff...idk. I looked at the achievements and they don't look to be required to get to 36/40, so I might not even bother with them. I'll probably give it a try, but it might not be worth taking seriously. I don't like how this game has boxed itself into increasing the difficulty. Too much one-shot gameplay.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You def don't need to do them for 36/40, the last 4 challenges are almost always some kind of end game boss grind for people who want the hideout decoration. Even if you did do them its only 40 Guardian kills which is a joke at this point, even the 100 breachlords or 40 Rigwalds went easy this league with people rotating keys. To boot everything is easily avoidable from Guardians, Uber Atziri, and Shaper but they take practice and your build not being bad which takes a while to learn.

Napkin Math about 95+ leveling
This league I'm trying to quantify the 100 grind since with the xp penalty its near to impossible to say what it is exactly. I'm measuring total hours which has a lot of factors like clear speed, maps, deaths etc. The first run I ended up with a 1/2 way mark of level 97.5. I'm doing a much better job now recording my actual playtime on my trickster and because of the clear speed improvement its looking like his halfway point is going to be 98 point something.

So far my napkin math is showing me that at Level 96 is when XP penalty really starts to kick in. It took an average of 1.3 hours for 10% xp total which is double what 95 was.. Level 97 ramped it up to 2+ hours for 10% xp. I know from the first toon it took me twice the time to grind level 99-100 as it did to grind 97-98.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, what's different about Uber Lab compared to the other difficulties? I think I'm geared enough to take him:

View Profile - Path of Exile - Deathwing6

Also, what's the purpose of completing the plaque of trials? I thought I had to wait until I did all 6 before I could use the offerings in the map device, but I guess not?

Wouldn't mind some "expensive" gearing advice either. I don't think any of my slots have any "less than one exalt" upgrades left. Maybe the left ring slot.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
So, what's different about Uber Lab compared to the other difficulties? I think I'm geared enough to take him:

View Profile - Path of Exile - Deathwing6

Also, what's the purpose of completing the plaque of trials? I thought I had to wait until I did all 6 before I could use the offerings in the map device, but I guess not?

Wouldn't mind some "expensive" gearing advice either. I don't think any of my slots have any "less than one exalt" upgrades left. Maybe the left ring slot.
It's lvl 78, mostly like merciless lab, but with all the fonts you encounter in the trials on top, which can make movement and safe zones rather sparse. If you have dps to clear t10+ maps and stack physical mitigation, Izaro can be insultingly easy, it's just that not every combination is viable for 3 key runs.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
3 key runs? I just want my ascendancy points and maybe a FB helm enchant. Is uber lab worth farming?

How much is enough physical mitigation? Usually run 8k armor with flasks up.