Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think the different crowd thing is part of it. I like POE because it still has that loot hunt aspect that I really enjoyed about D2 back in the day. D3 is good for the instant fix of just logging in for an hour or whatever and killing monsters. I mean in Breach league I flipped my shit when I found a Shav's like a week into the league as I knew I was set for a while, currency wise. I don't get that same sense of exhilaration with D3, i mean fuck you get a full armor set like twenty minutes after hitting level cap for basically doing nothing. Farming loot, selling it and rerolling a more OP character is just a game loop I enjoy I suppose.
I agree that this game does character investment much better than D3. Does the tedium help build character? IDK.

For me, I would say the core of both games doesn't hold up to such heavy investment. I used to play D3(RMAH days) that way, where the "endgame" was this nebulous idea of just get more items. And I would always end quitting the game out of frustrated boredom instead of accomplishment. Hearthstone was the same. Sometimes I wish I knew how to quit my own gaming habit.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah, I don't mean to sound like the tedious shit isn't annoying after a while. Stash tab management could be a lot better, after 3-4 weeks I just give up on it heh. I pretty much ignore all my Standard characters, can't be bothered with that clusterfuck.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually trying to streamline my mapping so I can just keep chaining maps back to back to back. Which basically means I need to have a quad-tab "dumping" grounds where everything I pick up just gets liquidated into that tab after each map and then I filter/sell/sort it after a play session. This is horribly tedious and I'm not sure if it is actually worth my sanity. Everytime I need to sell/sort this tab I'd rather die. I wish the game assisted me better in actually moving things from temporary inventory storage to long-term storage but even with MTX currency/essence/card tabs I still have to manually click things around. It is super, super tedious.

I have read some rumors that GGG isn't entirely happy with how much the current trading sabotages actually finding and upgrading your gear or that crafting is a waste outside of masters and the top 1%, so I wonder how things will change in 3.0. On the other hand, if you streamline that, the game probably gets a lot more boring, since the breaks between maps are sort of needed imo and the opportunity cost of trading is the only thing keeping economy in SC in check. A potential AH would absolutely wreck most of the playerbase, despite so many people clamoring for it, however any potential solution to that would have people asking for Chris Wilson's head.

I even came up with a theoretical solution, where AH items would require a special orb applied to them to make them eligible for listing, which would drop at the rarity of fuse/chaos, so you can list a little bit of your stuff here and there while stopping you from flooding the market with crap. Basically an AH for the 1% of items. However I'm not sure how viable it would be in practice.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Trading could use some attention for sure. I would go with some kind of vendor placement in hideouts. It still requires time from both players (they want that) but at least it's asynchronous. It would also kill price fixing since the placed vendor actually auto-sells the items instead of ignoring people. Finally, it could be a revenue stream by giving limited number of sale slots for free and allow various upgrades through gameplay, MTX or a mix of that.

Dying without knowing why is something I attribute to the speed-meta, at least partially. No time to notice that the mobs you plowed will blow up in your face because you gotta keep up with the party or "not waste time" while solo. I'm no big fan of that anyway and hope the game takes a shift towards more difficulty again. As the situation stands though, they could have some kind of "mob engaged" message that mentions the special mods on rares/uniques or at least similar to the way D3 does.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have read some rumors that GGG isn't entirely happy with how much the current trading sabotages actually finding and upgrading your gear or that crafting is a waste outside of masters and the top 1%, so I wonder how things will change in 3.0. On the other hand, if you streamline that, the game probably gets a lot more boring, since the breaks between maps are sort of needed imo and the opportunity cost of trading is the only thing keeping economy in SC in check. A potential AH would absolutely wreck most of the playerbase, despite so many people clamoring for it, however any potential solution to that would have people asking for Chris Wilson's head.

I even came up with a theoretical solution, where AH items would require a special orb applied to them to make them eligible for listing, which would drop at the rarity of fuse/chaos, so you can list a little bit of your stuff here and there while stopping you from flooding the market with crap. Basically an AH for the 1% of items. However I'm not sure how viable it would be in practice.

I'm not sure what having an auction orb would really solve. Sure you wouldn't be able to spunk every item that drops onto the AH but you can do that now on poe.trade and it isn't really that big a deal. If anything the most frustrating trades on poe.trade are items that are listed for 1alch/1chaos because it is so cheap no one cares to respond. So the smalls is what I'd actually prefer an autonomous system to be about. When its a 30+ transaction they generally respond instantly.

In regards to trading vs finding items I think that will always happen when GGG allows items of any ilvl to roll any tier affix/suffix and a thousand different things despite only a handful being useful. The odds of you finding this yourself are rather slim. However with so many RNG rolls with such a player base the odds are someone somewhere found it are pretty decent. In walks trading.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking a bit more last night regarding combat rhythm and how picking up loot disrupts it. To me, the flask system seems like a huge pain in the ass. I don't know about others, but I rarely ever remember to use mine in a proactive manner. It's always life flasks, mana flasks, and quicksilver flasks in a reactive manner. And I think part of the reason is that the buff is so short and you're going to spend at least some of it picking up loot, why "waste" it? Horrible communication of "hey buddy, you're going to need to flask" is the other part, but that's another issue.

I think if combat wasn't punctuated so much by trivial loot pickup, it might be easier to get into the habit of proactive flask usage because you can better depend on the charges being refilled. A great analogy of this is the pre-RoS WW barb from D3.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Generally you kill shit so fast in the current clearspeed meta you can keep your flask effects up pretty much all the time

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What does this mean if you sign into PoE with your Steam account?

Nevermind, lead dev said they don't know Steam password when they're used to sign in.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Probably doesn't mean much overall since the passwords were encrypted, some companies keep that shit in plain text and that's where it goes to shit, or save CC info and shit(like Sony with PSN a few years back and Yahoo a few times in the past 10years and so on). Not like I'd have much to lose from someone getting on my account in poe though. They can have my stuff if they can find it in the 400 remove only tabs I have on standard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
For offense flasks I just hit 3 of them when lunging into a pack, they're full 1-2 seconds later and you are freeze/shock/bleed immune during it. Took me a while to get used to it after years of "healing pot is defense" conditioning. If there is a more difficult mob left standing you have full flasks from killing the trash, no problem there.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been actively trying to get map drops for guardians past few days and haven't gotten shit... Getting bored of running strands. Still haven't killed shaper which is my goal this league. I really don't like the idea of buying the guardian pieces.

My ele wander can pretty much destroy everything with it's ridiculous DPS but I'm bottlenecked by map drops, feels bad.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I found a taste of hate, chayula cutlass off a breach, but nothing really compares to getting this.

238960_screenshots_20170402171553_1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user