Path of Exile

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
the main problem im having is just not knowing what anything is worth. Today I sold a quality infernal blow gem for essentially 1 gcp, then 5 minutes later someone logs in asking to buy it for 5, just frustrating.

oh, and starkonja's cap - 50% reduced damage on low life is damage you do, not damage you take
frown.png
i'd feel more bad except i mostly paid alchs for it which i have too many of anyhow
Depends on the quality. Generally 1 GCP per 5% quality is a safe bet although higher use or rare gems are worth more. Don't feel to bad thought because some days you'll lose and others you will score big.

The best way to know what is valuable for me has been to know what the cookie cutter build are and what they use.

frown.png

DMK_sl

shitlord
what is the cut throat mode?
Hardcore

Typically, "hardcore mode" in action RPGs involves permadeath. A character killed in this mode cannot be accessed any more. In Path of Exile, slain hardcore characters revert to the parent non-hardcore league. This system encourages non-hardcore players to try the hardcore game mode, while still permanently removing hardcore characters from the economy when they die.

Ironman

In Ironman, players are unable to trade with vendors or refill their flasks in town. Mana regeneration is disabled by default. Players are encouraged to band together and manage their resources in order to survive.

Cut-throat

The cut-throat leagues appeal to the niche of players who demand the most hardcore gaming experience possible. In this mode, all world areas are public, with full PvP enabled by default. Slain characters drop all their items upon death. This game mode can also be combined with Hardcore to create an even more unforgiving world.

Attrition

An attrition league is a short duration league that starts with a fixed number of players and eliminates the player with the lowest amount of experience at periodic intervals. For example, a 24 hour attrition league might start with 100 players and eliminate one player per 12 minutes after a four hour initial leveling period. Players would be able to see how close to elimination they are on an on-screen ladder display.

Honestly the guys making PoE just seem to 'Get it'. I've been dreaming of this shit for years.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
...Honestly the guys making PoE just seem to 'Get it'. I've been dreaming of this shit for years.
I don't have the time or inclination to play much more than a few hours a week, but it's really nice to see/experience how they've handled things. I'm curious to know how their financials are, hopefully doing well.

DMK_sl

shitlord
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/16/pa...ayer-accounts/

2 million registered accounts as of March 16 and is seems every where I go gaming signs in the comments PoE seems to pop up more often.

Now obviously registered accounts is a massive inflation to actual player base but for a small company I think that's pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if big company doesn't pump a bit of money into it for some profits.
s

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I don't have the time or inclination to play much more than a few hours a week, but it's really nice to see/experience how they've handled things. I'm curious to know how their financials are, hopefully doing well.
I personally sunk $70 into it already just to support the company which is more than I paid for D3. Worth every penny too. Hope they carry on the good work.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Question for anyone who regularly participates in the various races... Do drop rates for currency/items seem higher than the normal default/hardcore leagues?

Only reason I ask is that I've been playing in the 1-week race, and while I'm only lvl 48(not even top 500), I've seen 5 unique items drop for me so far. That's more uniques than in the 200+ levels I've played in the normal hardcore mode(across about 6 characters).

Probably just the random number generator screwing with me, but I'm seeing a unique every couple hours, which seems odd.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Bah, lost my 1-week race character before I got into the top 500, was ranked like 550-ish(lvl 51), up from around 900 2 days ago. Nothing like putting a weeks worth of work into it for no season points. I think I'm done with hardcore, I just cant stand the mindless grinding to overlevel content by 10+ levels in order to survive. You either have to play in a super boring style, or you don't make it very far. Those options aren't very good.

Someone used some insane pets that looked like arachna in Heroes of Newerth, i think he was playing a witch, anyone knows wtf is that?

My name is fremme on my 67 witch, still learning the game, ill be wanting to mess around in pvp as soon as i get more of a hang on builds and stuff

Thinking about starting a hardcore char, not sure if im knowledgeable enough yet. Thats the only thing i can think of thats annoying me with this game, i basically have to do homework before rolling a new character. Ended up with a 15 marauder and a 12 ranger with no points spent lol. Following a summon build on my witch so i was good till like 55 but now i got like 12 points unspent

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Bah, lost my 1-week race character before I got into the top 500, was ranked like 550-ish(lvl 51), up from around 900 2 days ago. Nothing like putting a weeks worth of work into it for no season points. I think I'm done with hardcore, I just cant stand the mindless grinding to overlevel content by 10+ levels in order to survive. You either have to play in a super boring style, or you don't make it very far. Those options aren't very good.
Changing classes may help. I switched from witch to ranger and my clear speed and survivability went through the roof.

Alternatively, you can party in hardcore. Parties that work well together are a little safer, clear faster, and generally find better/more gear.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Someone used some insane pets that looked like arachna in Heroes of Newerth, i think he was playing a witch, anyone knows wtf is that?

My name is fremme on my 67 witch, still learning the game, ill be wanting to mess around in pvp as soon as i get more of a hang on builds and stuff

Thinking about starting a hardcore char, not sure if im knowledgeable enough yet. Thats the only thing i can think of thats annoying me with this game, i basically have to do homework before rolling a new character. Ended up with a 15 marauder and a 12 ranger with no points spent lol. Following a summon build on my witch so i was good till like 55 but now i got like 12 points unspent
Builds are so basic, unless you have something really clever in mind then just go down a path increasing your survivability while picking up any obviously awesome damage nodes that you are near. If you are a summoner you just go around in a circle picking up the minion nodes, depending on whether you are CI get the Life nodes on the way or get the Energy Shield nodes. If you want to, get the double curse node at the top. Boom done. Summoner build.

There's really no reason not to know where to spend your points as a summoner, and as a Marauder too, Marauders have the best survivability start in the game. Just go right down the health line. I play on Hardcore, haven't done any races since closed beta, and that's the way to go in most cases. It applies to Softcore too, there's no reason not to go with survivability, damage is pretty meaningless. I play an archer and I basically just stand there shooting, things die immediately and can barely hurt me.

Always go with survivability unless you are in a race or have a specific build idea in mind, it's so easy to get your damage up that it shouldn't be prioritized.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Titty demons. They spawn in Lunaris temple 3 at the very end of Act3. You can use raise spectre to get them as pets and they only despawn if you die, remove the gem or log off(and well obviously if they die). It's a common high end damage spectre, another are the large caster carpets in Solaris temple that cast fork fireballs. You put GMP on your spectre so they cast more projectiles and it's a rape fest as long as they stay alive. LMP if you're poor, but it's a really strong spectre gem if you don't mind going back to grab new spectres when they die and stuff.

DMK_sl

shitlord
So does anyone have a general idea of their plan on rolling features out? I get a feelings it's more a long the lines of 'when its ready'? which is good. Just be good to see a projection of where they are looking to be..

Builds are so basic, unless you have something really clever in mind then just go down a path increasing your survivability while picking up any obviously awesome damage nodes that you are near. If you are a summoner you just go around in a circle picking up the minion nodes, depending on whether you are CI get the Life nodes on the way or get the Energy Shield nodes. If you want to, get the double curse node at the top. Boom done. Summoner build.

There's really no reason not to know where to spend your points as a summoner, and as a Marauder too, Marauders have the best survivability start in the game. Just go right down the health line. I play on Hardcore, haven't done any races since closed beta, and that's the way to go in most cases. It applies to Softcore too, there's no reason not to go with survivability, damage is pretty meaningless. I play an archer and I basically just stand there shooting, things die immediately and can barely hurt me.

Always go with survivability unless you are in a race or have a specific build idea in mind, it's so easy to get your damage up that it shouldn't be prioritized.
Getting bored of softcore at 66, hardly can go past that, i dont see the point since im mainly a pvper, my PVE toon is just to farm gear for my pvp toons. I guess ill try whatever for my marauder and ranger build, i cant find much information on pvp builds on the web, level 28 isnt that hard to level up to.

Ill also be starting a marauder on hardcore.

Thanks for feedback

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Correct, Chris has stated that IIR does absolutely nothing for currency, only actual armor/weapons.

And unfortunately, neither stat has any effect on socket numbers or links. Everything related to sockets is still just totally random.
Thanks for this. I have switched over to stacking more increased quantity and my currency drops are more often then they were before.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I have a socketing question I'm hoping someone can answer for me. Say I had this item and the links were
1-2
__|
3-4
If I put a support gem in socket 3, would a skill gem in socket 1 receive the bonus? In case my awesome text drawing was unclear, there is a link from 1 to 2, 2 to 4 and 3 to 4, backwards c if you will.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If there is no break in the links, then everything would work together, even if there is empty gem sockets in-between. You could put gems in 1 and 3 and they would work just fine together, even with nothing in 2 & 4.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
If there is no break in the links, then everything would work together, even if there is empty gem sockets in-between. You could put gems in 1 and 3 and they would work just fine together, even with nothing in 2 & 4.
Thanks, now I get why highly linked items are so sought after, can really stack some skills if you have the right supports!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I pretty much stash most white pieces of armor that are at least 4 links. They definitely come in handy.