Pets

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So basically the sign would serve no purpose either.

Just to clarify, my dog has never bitten anyone and I'm fairly certain she'd run if someone came in the yard, but if backed in a corner I've seen her show teeth (like all dogs, I imagine).

The main problems here is there's 10 kids in our neighborhood at least and I don't know who they are. They all look alike. The fact that he came 9 feet into our yard and stuck his hands in the fence just feet from us shows a complete lack of respect for both my family and my dog and our property, and also a complete lack of understanding of animals.

Im part of the towns Facebook page so I may ask on there in hopes that perhaps some of the local people will spread it around. It's a small town so they'll know who I am when I mention my street... It has 3 houses on it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Nah it's about due diligence, if you know the kids are stupid, kid proof your yard. To me its about the safety of the animal, not the kid. The fact you saw it happen a lawyer will turn around on you and say you were aware of the issue and negligent in preventing it. Welcome the Litigious States of America. I totally get where you are coming from, and I completely agree, unfortunately personal responsibility rarely enters into the picture when it comes to some parents special snowflake getting an ouchie being dumb. Yes, Post a sign, yes make the fence kid proof and yes tell kids to get the fuck out of your yard or you will call their parents.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So basically the sign would serve no purpose either.

Just to clarify, my dog has never bitten anyone and I'm fairly certain she'd run if someone came in the yard, but if backed in a corner I've seen her show teeth (like all dogs, I imagine).

The main problems here is there's 10 kids in our neighborhood at least and I don't know who they are. They all look alike. The fact that he came 9 feet into our yard and stuck his hands in the fence just feet from us shows a complete lack of respect for both my family and my dog and our property, and also a complete lack of understanding of animals.

Im part of the towns Facebook page so I may ask on there in hopes that perhaps some of the local people will spread it around. It's a small town so they'll know who I am when I mention my street... It has 3 houses on it.
Lol, the sign isn't to warn the dumb fuck kids, they'll do whatever the fuck they want.

No the sign is one less open liability you'll have, it'll serve the same purpose as this.
0b3fc653-10ad-4d50-82f4-de3be13f2485_1.9bff4a7da2460bd2547c73691f1121ba.jpe

Put it up, take pictures of it with your kid or your dog in front of it, and post on facebook or some shit to "timestamp" it, so they can't say you put the sign up after some dumb fuck kid got bitten.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It could be bullshit, but I've heard the beware of the dog sign can actually hurt you because it's evidence that you knew that your dog was dangerous.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Every fall when it starts getting cold, the dog stops going to the door and barking to let us know she needs to go out and pisses in the house. She hates the cold. I hate her.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother's beagle was the same way. It seems like when female dogs get old, they start pissing in the house.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yesterday our 8.5 year old Bulldog named Bella passed away. The Veterinarian said it was most likely a heart attack, it was sudden and unexpected. The good news is she did not suffer and she was laying at my wife's feet when it happened. No squeals or sounds of pain, her heart just stopped. The irony (not even sure if that is the right word) is that we have an older Bulldog named Sugar (11.5) that over the last year has really been showing her age. We have been mentally preparing for Sugar to leave us, but not Bella.

I will miss her snoring.
I will miss the jingle of her dog tags.
I will miss her standing at the top the stairs everyday when I got home so excited to see me that was reaching out with her paw to try grab me.
I will miss how she would climb up on to an empty patio chair to be a part of the conversation when we sat around our fire pit.
I will miss how she would always hang out with whom ever stayed up the latest at night, she could not go to sleep until she knew you were safe & sound in your bed.
I will miss that she would climb up to the very top of our couch (like a cat) so she could look at the front window.
I will miss how with the absence of tail to wag she would just shake her whole ass.
I will miss how gentle she was with my two children and how she was always there to comfort my wife when she was stressed.
I will miss that every time she took a dump in the backyard she would sprint back into the house, bust through the Doggie Door like it was a brick wall and do a proud victory lap around couches like "Hey look at me! Aren't I a good girl for pooping outside?!"
Hell, I will even miss her gas that smelled like burnt rubber, anyone that has a Bull Dog knows that smell.

We got Bella in the summer of 2008 & a month later we found out my wife was pregnant with out first child. Bella has been there to see our family grow & watch over our kids in that special way Bulldogs do. We honestly thought we had another year or two with her, so we feel cheated. She died full of life, energy & love. I said to my wife last night that maybe her going out this way was the nicest thing she could do for us, this way we do not have to watch her get old & suffer. She was a champ & one of my best friends. As many people have nicknames for their pets, she was our Bella, Bucking Bronco, Bella Bear, Bella-Boo, Boo Boo & Boobs. I feel like I could write about her days, but the more I type the sadder I get so I will just leave it at this...

Bella was loved everyday & she gave back that love ten-fold, I really miss her.

This picture is from this past summer of Bella hanging out down by our Creek.
Bella.jpg

Last edited:
  • 7Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's painful. I think I was hysterical for 2-4 hours, 2-6 weeks after, for putting my first pug down. Dogs will never last forever. But, you can appreciate the time you had with them.

• 1Solidarity

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So sorry Oblio. :(

Finally caught Sansa doing her window sill shimmy trick. Cat is weird sometimes. Bonus close-up pic.
IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Condolences Oblio , we've all been there in one form or another as dog owners. Our dog was 3ish when we had our son so I can also relate there. Watching my son grow up and the dog growing with him is really awesome. When she inevitably goes it will be as if I lost a child.

• 1Solidarity

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Oblio, sorry for your loss. I have been lucky enough to have been the Uncle of 6 bullies over the past 10 years. They were/are all my best friends dogs, that I took care of all the time. Every one of the passed exactly the same way, and all at 8 years. They just seem to know it's time to go. Even though they were not mine, they were my best buddies, getting up on the fold out dbl wide chair with me, and enjoying a sip of beer; growling at the bubbles. No other dog seems to just explode with joy just to hang out and watch cartoons...

Bullies are the bomb.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Found fleas on Sansa tonight. Have no idea how she got them considering she's completely indoors. It had to have been recent, too, since she was just at the vet on the 20 of October and she had no issues and we didn't notice anything when we gave her a bath less than two weeks ago. I tried to pull as many of them off her as I could, but can't get them all obviously. Sent in a vet appointment request, so hopefully I can take her in soon and get some treatment stuff. Any tips for what I can do in my apartment to make sure these things aren't all over the place? I've never dealt with fleas before (I don't know how, since I spent over 2 decades living with dogs and never had any) so my dumb brain is just instantly equating this to bed bugs or lice or other shit, so I'm freaking out and being stupid. Do we need to do the whole running all our bedding/laundry through the wash/hot dryer, etc.?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Anyone dealt with major itching problems on their dog before? Mine has had an issue for over a year. We've tried a ton of medication, shampoos, changed his food, searched for any outside contaminants etc. He's on apoquel now which helps but from what I understand it has some serious side effects. Vets(I've been to 3) seem to be at a loss.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Found fleas on Sansa tonight. Have no idea how she got them considering she's completely indoors. It had to have been recent, too, since she was just at the vet on the 20 of October and she had no issues and we didn't notice anything when we gave her a bath less than two weeks ago. I tried to pull as many of them off her as I could, but can't get them all obviously. Sent in a vet appointment request, so hopefully I can take her in soon and get some treatment stuff. Any tips for what I can do in my apartment to make sure these things aren't all over the place? I've never dealt with fleas before (I don't know how, since I spent over 2 decades living with dogs and never had any) so my dumb brain is just instantly equating this to bed bugs or lice or other shit, so I'm freaking out and being stupid. Do we need to do the whole running all our bedding/laundry through the wash/hot dryer, etc.?
Do you live in an apartment with other units in the same building?

We had a nightmare where another unit had fleas and that meant every unit had fleas, they fucking suck and are hard to deal with. If the source is another neighbor forget it - tell your landlord and get them involved.

For bedding/clothes you don't have to wash them - just run it on a heat dry cycle in the dryer. That kills the fleas and dries out any eggs.

If your place is carpeted I suggest putting Borax over the entire carpet, leaving it for a few minutes then vacuuming it all up. You might have to do this a few times over a week.

You can check if there are fleas in the apartment by leaving out a small metallica shiny dish with soapy water in it. They'll jump in and die.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Do you live in an apartment with other units in the same building?

We had a nightmare where another unit had fleas and that meant every unit had fleas, they fucking suck and are hard to deal with. If the source is another neighbor forget it - tell your landlord and get them involved.

For bedding/clothes you don't have to wash them - just run it on a heat dry cycle in the dryer. That kills the fleas and dries out any eggs.

If your place is carpeted I suggest putting Borax over the entire carpet, leaving it for a few minutes then vacuuming it all up. You might have to do this a few times over a week.

You can check if there are fleas in the apartment by leaving out a small metallica shiny dish with soapy water in it. They'll jump in and die.

Yeah, we're in a unit. According to the vets, fleas/ticks have been horrible this year and was told there's a good chance we just brought in a couple from outside, or someone else might have. Got her meds from the vet and yesterday I was only able to find one on her. Vacuumed, put some of the carpet powder down and going to vacuum again today. Will try out the soapy water thing and see if more start showing up. If so, yeah I guess I'll talk to the landlord. Only issue there is I asked for a pet lease months ago when we first got her and they've yet to draw one up for me, so I'm hoping they don't just assume I brought her in now and am the cause of this shit or something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just never admit it was you, even if it was. In a multi unit place with pets it's inevitable and comes with the maintenance. At my last place I told them my roommate brought them in (he did, a stray off the street) and they told me if we didn't handle it they'd make us pay to fumigate the building.

Thankfully my lease was over the next day while he stayed living there.

All advice from me is probably shitty, I'm not up on tenant law

Mur

Trakanon Raider
If you use the drops like advantage on your pet, their dander will also be toxic to the fleas, and pretty quickly all the fleas in your apt. will be dead. I had a horrible infestation in my home, and just using that stuff took care of everything.

Elsebet

Peasant
Anyone dealt with major itching problems on their dog before? Mine has had an issue for over a year. We've tried a ton of medication, shampoos, changed his food, searched for any outside contaminants etc. He's on apoquel now which helps but from what I understand it has some serious side effects. Vets(I've been to 3) seem to be at a loss.

Many years ago our (now deceased) Pug had an itching issue where she rubbed a huge patch of her fur raw. We switched her to a grain-free dog food and the problem disappeared immediately. What dog foods have you tried?

We feed our current dogs this one: Grain Free - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods

• 1Solidarity