Planetside 2

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Any vanu on Jaeger, i'm playing as t0mps if you want to friend me, have a decently organized small squad.

Looking forward to 3x SC tomorrow and dbl exp during my whole vaca from work! Think i'm going to pick up 2 walmart cards tomorrow, and have a game stop one i've been saving. I swear I have spent more on this game than any other subs from Sony in the last 5 years.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Got a pair of 15$ cards mid-day at a Walmart near where I work. All set for tomorrow.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Got 6k for each of mine just now.

rrr_img_4551.png

rrr_img_4552.png

rrr_img_4551.png

rrr_img_4552.png

ohmgee_sl

shitlord
I just started playing is there anything i should spend certs on first also is there any place to see the stats of each gun or which gun is best for light assualt

I just started playing is there anything i should spend certs on first also is there any place to see the stats of each gun or which gun is best for light assualt
You can try each gun for 30 minutes free. Use the "try now" when you click the "unlock". As far as certs are concerned, don't worry about them. Just play the game and you will figure out what you need later. The game is perfectly playable in default mode with no certs. Try everything and every class and figure out what you like best.

Also join a outfit or pick up squad. If you try to play this game solo you will give it up on the first day. Joining a pick up squad is as easy as pressing one button. No screaming "LFG" or any of that shit. Although you think you want to play light assault, you may find out that is not what you want to do. I would argue that LA is not the class to play as a beginner. Those are the guys who go in first to take bases and prepare them for the main force. That is not something you want to do as a Noob.

By the way the 3 for 1 Smedbucks are in effect when you buy directly from Sony in game. No need to go to Walmart. Almost as good a deal and no need to go have contact with the people who hang out at Walmart.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Get a better sniper rifle if you plan to use the infiltrator at all. Other than that just stick with default guns.
I also recommend upgrading your favorite vehicles weapon. The defaults are piss poor by comparison.
Also dont forget to buy the 1 cert point stuff. Certainly worth it.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
By the way the 3 for 1 Smedbucks are in effect when you buy directly from Sony in game. No need to go to Walmart. Almost as good a deal and no need to go have contact with the people who hang out at Walmart.
It's not almost as good a deal. It's 4500 station cash for 15$, versus 6000. That;s a significant difference. God forbid you enter a Walmart for all of 5 minutes.

Also, for anyone thats buys station cash, keep an eye out for the different bundles in the in game store. The Vehicle Starter Bundle and the Infantry Starter Bundle are extremely good deals.

Get a better sniper rifle if you plan to use the infiltrator at all.
This is only true for TR and Vanu as they don't start with a bolt action that can 1 shot kill with head shots.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
It's not almost as good a deal. It's 4500 station cash for 15$, versus 6000. That;s a significant difference. God forbid you enter a Walmart for all of 5 minutes.
Many walmarts don't have this deal, and it's pretty much US-only afaik, no Canadian walmarts have it. So even if you do go to walmart, it's quite possible that they won't have any of those cards. Lot of people are complaining on the PS2 forums.

If you have it take advantage of it, but it's pretty minimal, it's the difference between spending like $2.30 on a weapon vs $1.60.... and there's only a few weapons worth buying in the game so you'll only be spending maybe 30 or 40 bucks on SC regardless of which route you take. Buying all the infantry weapons is pointless since about 95% are just pointless sidegrades.... you pretty much want whatever carbine has the under barrel grenade launcher for your faction, maybe the best TTK carbine after that, one scout rifle, the best TTK LMG for your faction, G2G lock on launcher(G2A one is totally incapable of hitting air, so it's fairly pointless...), maybe one assault rifle. That's 6 guns. If you like to snipe, I guess you can add the highest projectile speed bolt action sniper rifle. Then you want maybe half a dozen vehicle weapons, no more than that because you don't want to cert out a zillion weapons. Overall it's hard to spend more than $40 or so on this game given SC, which is a pretty trivial amount of money. Not even the cost of a full retail game. Add another 10 bucks worth for future weapon buys, I guess, until the next triple SC day, but so far it seems like they're planning to add a lot more junk than good stuff.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
Some things I dont like:
- No tutorial. PS1 did a great job letting you play with all the gear on the home-world and you actually got XP for doing so. 8 hour timer on trial weapons and a 30 day cooldown on trying again? Bleh.
- Crashing - ya there are some annoying bugs but it seems to be improving.
- Grenades are made of rubber
- I miss vehicle repair areas so I dont need to spec engineer just to drive a vehicle effectively.
That reminds me, probably the biggest problem with this game -- in fact there's no doubt that it is much bigger than any other problem I can think of save MAYBE rendering distance bugginess is that XP rewards are simply totally fucked.

There's literally no point in doing anything except farming infantry with vehicle weapons if you're looking for XP gain, and the obscene amount you get for sitting on top of spawns bombing them or shitting on them with lightning/tank HE rounds dwarfs everything else by such a massive amount that people try to intentionally avoid killing sunderers when they're sitting on top of them because they can get so much out of spawn killing.

PS1's XP system prevented this, and PS2 desperately desperately needs a system that awards you based on the value of the target(where value = how many kills/objectives the target has accrued since spawn, with a big bonus the tougher the target is). People should be getting 10-20x as much XP for killing vehicles that have accrued a bunch of kills vs killing freshly spawned infantry, but right now you get a handful of XP, and it's made even worse by the fact that most people eject/jump out of vehicles before they explode anyway so you don't even get the infantry kill sometimes... which is worth more than the vehicle.

It's just fucked.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Walmarts near me show they have the $15 SOE card in stock from website but none to find. I did find freerealm cards $10 with 200 point bonus and they will work = 3600 point.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Free-Realm...-Card/21106309

There is a limit per day with SOE, 8 transactions or 30k limit, FYI!
I had to look 3 times through the electronics area to find it hidden behind some other cards. They were not in the same area as the playstation/Xbox/Nintendo cards either. They were up high in the back corner of the department.
I ended up showing a picture online to someone that worked there and to my surprise they were actually helpful.

God forbid you enter a Walmart for all of 5 minutes.
Not worth it to be forced to enter a Walmart. Even if they were giving away free "real" gold bars I would not step foot in a Walmart.

Sony needs to stick with Gamestop or worse case Best Buy. Walmart people do not have computers much less play video games with them. That is just an insane promotion. At a minimum go with Target. Even that is a stretch.

It appears that SOE needs to hire and fire in their Marketing department. FFS get some damn analytics software and understand that your base can not be found in Walmart.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Yeah...I don't think there's that much profit margin, if any at all, for Walmart on a game time card. I bought two cards last night.

Oh wait I was wrong. I just found out that mom and pop store down the street just closed up because I bought Station Cash at wally world.

Fuckin' Obama.
rolleyes.png

Got rocket pods on my Mossy last night. Can't wait until they fix this shit where AA can see and fire on you and they don't even render for aircraft. You can turn and look all you want but you're just getting plinked to death by invisible AA Maxes. Sucks.

rolleyes.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just downloaded this last night and played for about 10 minutes.

Entered with my first character. Dead before the cinematic ends.
Lag
Spawn. Dead before the zone loaded.
Lag
Spawn, run around and the only thing to shoot at are tanks and ships flying the sky bombing me. Dead.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Logged off.

People must really love this game. It appears pretty cool, but I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
I just downloaded this last night and played for about 10 minutes.

Entered with my first character. Dead before the cinematic ends.
Lag
Spawn. Dead before the zone loaded.
Lag
Spawn, run around and the only thing to shoot at are tanks and ships flying the sky bombing me. Dead.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Logged off.

People must really love this game. It appears pretty cool, but I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.
Exactly my first experience. Think of it like eve-online except you start in null sec space and you dont lose your shit.
Once you have an idea of what you are doing and how to join a squad, flank, etc....you'll be on the giving end of the pain.