Planetside 2

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
See I just figured that the 30+ seconds it takes that invisible Max to kill you (assuming you don't just fly off at 20 seconds, hide, and repair (net exp result from the exchange you: 150ish, him zero and half his ammo gone)) was some form of whacky balance for aircraft getting hurdur .5-1.0 TTL rocket pods.

In all seriousness, yes I know that the render thing's a bug, and that rocket pods are somewhat expensive cert wise. Still won't make me think they're balanced as is. Give infantry a 1k cert into a 3 second explosion invuln or something. Give AA per shot exp rather than kill only exp. Give rocket pod reloads a resource cost.

but Aircraft hunting infantry using a full salvo of missiles per squishy should be fairly rare.

To the new guys. If you spawn into a vehicle filled shitstorm, and it doesn't appear that your sides ready to waste half it's force on no-exp-earning AA, next death spawn someplace else further away, or back at the warp. At that point you can either choose to try to grab a vehicle and fight fire with fire, or you can go try to fight at another base or continent. But spawning into hellfire-from-the-sky doesn't just magically get better.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For the triple. buy the walmart cards. they give a bonus 500 SC , which turns into 1500 on friday. So 15 bucks for 6k SC.
our walmart doesn't have it. motherfuckers.
Exactly my first experience. Think of it like eve-online except you start in null sec space and you dont lose your shit.
Once you have an idea of what you are doing and how to join a squad, flank, etc....you'll be on the giving end of the pain.
So I take it there's something special about the cards themselves, you can't just order an online code from walmart.com?

Edit: Ah, guessing it's not the universal card, but the Planetside 2-specific card i'd need to find and/or a card with a bonus sticker on it? Will have to check out wally world on the way home.

I just downloaded this last night and played for about 10 minutes.

Entered with my first character. Dead before the cinematic ends.
Lag
Spawn. Dead before the zone loaded.
Lag
Spawn, run around and the only thing to shoot at are tanks and ships flying the sky bombing me. Dead.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Logged off.

People must really love this game. It appears pretty cool, but I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.
That is the Planetside2 rite of passage.

W

Wrathcaster

I just downloaded this last night and played for about 10 minutes.

Entered with my first character. Dead before the cinematic ends.
Lag
Spawn. Dead before the zone loaded.
Lag
Spawn, run around and the only thing to shoot at are tanks and ships flying the sky bombing me. Dead.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Logged off.

People must really love this game. It appears pretty cool, but I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.
You need to run with a group or outfit that already knows what they're doing, preferably 5-10 so you have near a full squad to get the full experience that vehicles provide. When I started, it was with an established outfit of people who played throughout beta, so they guided me through the "what the fuck am I doing what the hell is going on" phase.

Check your PMs. My outfit is great with new players and made the game a whole lot more fun.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The learning curve isn't even that steep, however playing for 10 minutes you're not really gonna figure anything out.

I encourage you to hop on Jaeger with us and we'll get you going.

W

Wrathcaster

The learning curve isn't even that steep, however playing for 10 minutes you're not really gonna figure anything out.

I encourage you to hop on Jaeger with us and we'll get you going.
Don't listen to the Jaeger Vanu Xenos-loving filth. Waterson Terran Republic for great justice.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I take it there's something special about the cards themselves, you can't just order an online code from walmart.com?

Edit: Ah, guessing it's not the universal card, but the Planetside 2-specific card i'd need to find and/or a card with a bonus sticker on it? Will have to check out wally world on the way home.
They're specific cards sold only at walmart and will state on the package a bonus 500 SC. They also have $10 ones that give 200 bonus SC.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
The bonus xp (double plus a booster) is almost ridiculous. I got two cert points just for repairing a turret. Gonna be a fun weekend.

W

Wrathcaster

The bonus xp (double plus a booster) is almost ridiculous. I got two cert points just for repairing a turret. Gonna be a fun weekend.
Ammo boxes, heal grenades, revive grenades, and ammo sundy's are absolutely insane for racking up xp/certs, even without double xp. Any kind of AOE squad heal or supply ability is ridiculously lucrative in this game; it really pays to be a support class. Try plopping down a couple of ammo boxes in the middle of a firefight and watch the +experience spam your screen.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Before tech plant rre-design and even now if you have a really good defense. A AMS sundy in the prime spot with the zerg spawning at it is crazy exp. Getting 8-10 exp for every spawn , for 2-3 hours.

If you have the prime AMS spot on a biolab attack its insane exp.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Had to go with Free Realms cards, the SOE universal card slot was already empty.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Don't listen to the Jaeger Vanu Xenos-loving filth. Waterson Terran Republic for great justice.
^This.
I joined up with them for the first time last night and had the best time I've had playing this game so far. Very organized, friendly, and incredibly helpful. Trying to run solo or in disorganized pugs is not at all fun. Soon as you get some coordination going the fun level jumps immensely.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
See I just figured that the 30+ seconds it takes that invisible Max to kill you (assuming you don't just fly off at 20 seconds, hide, and repair (net exp result from the exchange you: 150ish, him zero and half his ammo gone))
FYI it takes about 5 seconds for an invisible burster MAX to kill an ESF, they do around 15-20% health per second damage to you. That isn't an exaggeration, if an ESF stops to hover and a burster max starts shooting them, they WILL die. Should you ever stop to hover? No, but hovering is the only way to get infantry to render and to land hits on them most of the time, so you pretty much have to do it at least a little. The end result is that you avoid areas with heavy AA fire entirely.

was some form of whacky balance for aircraft getting hurdur .5-1.0 TTL rocket pods.

In all seriousness, yes I know that the render thing's a bug, and that rocket pods are somewhat expensive cert wise. Still won't make me think they're balanced as is. Give infantry a 1k cert into a 3 second explosion invuln or something. Give AA per shot exp rather than kill only exp. Give rocket pod reloads a resource cost.
This is just bad public forums logic. Planetside 2 weapons are, in general, gimpy enough compared to how awesome they could and should be. There's nothing wrong with rocket pods, they only kill people instantly if you actually hit them directly with a rocket nowadays, if you're missing you won't kill them without launching an entire salvo which takes literally 2-3 eternities(I define 1 eternity as the time it takes 1 burster max to kill you solo). I don't even spam rockets anymore when I'm in my Scythe since the nerf, because it's faster and more effective to lead the target and use 1-2 shot bursts of aimed rocket pods than to spam them. Sometimes the nose gun is even better, in fact, because it's much more accurate. Anyway, this idea that every weapon in the game should be precisely and perfectly dumbfire aimed to get any kills is totally ridiculous. Explosive weapons kill people in gigantic radiuses, that's sort of the whole point. The vehicles would be way, way cooler, more interesting, and fun to play if they had any of the complex targeting, weapons, and piloting capabilities that they had in real life. For fuck's sakes, they even dumbed down the tank steering so that it works exactly like a car. It's embarrassingly dumb.

For the record, I play infantry(HA, mostly) about 50% of the time, but to me when some tanks or aircraft roll over me it doesn't really bother me. I'm an infantryman, why wouldn't I die horribly to tanks and aircraft when I'm standing out in the open? It's just common sense. Now, the fact that the vehicles get rewarded such a huge amount for killing me, that's another story...

but Aircraft hunting infantry using a full salvo of missiles per squishy should be fairly rare.
The reason that it's common has nothing to do with the actual weapons and everything to do with the fact that infantry kills award a HUGE amount of XP and vehicle kills award next to nothing, despite vehicles having much more HP. This is literally the most broken mechanic in the entire game at this point.

I would absolutely love to configure my Scythe for A2A and play it as a(really slow, for some reason...) fighter, but why would I when I get 10x as much XP for killing infantry? We need a system similar to PS1: Vehicles, especially when they've achieved a bunch of kills, should be worth a lot of XP. Infantry, especially when they have no kills, should be worth very little XP, even moreso when they've been killed by a vehicle.

Weapon wrecking isn't the answer, XP balance is. If you leave XP alone you'll just have to dumb down every vehicle weapon so that it can't hurt infantry, because people will just keep falling back to whatever the most effective anti-infantry solution is. Liberators today(much more powerful than rocket pods), HE MBTs tomorrow, M60 Grenade battle buses next tuesday...

Sneaky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Since today's downtime I no longer get exp from my Ammo-Sundie supplying vehicles ):

And I had to relog 3x because I could not select my engineer's deployable anymore. Lots of fun combat though on Cobalt :)

Anyone know what SOEs plans are to channel players into additional continents? In my experience the fights is focused on one continent, the others are sort of low action. Also if you have the choice between fighting on e.g. an evenly split continent and one where your team has barely any resources, why go to the low resource one where you cannot count on being able to afford another vehicle after losing one or two?

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
Locking missile launchers are getting way out of hand. Seems like everyone and their mother has one now. Air I can understand but the ground one locks on and you can't even see the person because he can be too far away to render. Annoying as fuck.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Locking missile launchers are getting way out of hand. Seems like everyone and their mother has one now. Air I can understand but the ground one locks on and you can't even see the person because he can be too far away to render. Annoying as fuck.
Yea you should have to be 3 feet away to get a lock.