Pregnancy Thread

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had our second ultrasound yesterday. Got a cool pic of him giving a thumbs up but that's about it. Couldn't see his face because of his position but everything was in good positions, looked/measured normal etc. They measured everything but his wang, personally I'm most interested in tracking it's growth more than anything else. Think I will request it next time. She's 19 weeks now I think. Due Dec. 20th.

This is our first btw...still coping with the fact that I'm going to be broke and gaming time disappearing.
I hope your family are not dicks about birthday and Christmas at the same time.
frown.png

And double
frown.png
frown.png
for losing game time and being broke. It's not so bad at first, because they sleep a lot, but by the toddler stage, anywhere from 6-12 months, all you free time while they are awake is spent with them. You learn to stay up late to get your gaming in!

Congrats though!! Babies are fun! (usually)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Congo Rats, Tuco. I'm not sure why you are relieved, but I'm going with it.
I want at least one son and girls are extremely common in my wife's family. Like 80% of her generation and their kids. I mostly want a healthy child and wouldn't mind a daughter, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad to have a son on the way.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Congo Rats, Tuco. I'm not sure why you are relieved, but I'm going with it.
Tuco might have different reasons, but I know I wanted a son if only because I know what teenage boys are thinking(and attempting/doing).

Don't take that too seriously. It was really the only thing that came when someone asked me that stupid "do you want a boy or girl?" question, like I could influence the outcome. Yes, I know there's a procedure, I think it's illegal in the US.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm a year+ away from thinking about another child but if I had the choice I'd want a girl next.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Its not illegal just expensive. They hand select a sperm and directly insert it into the egg. Its called ICSI and the process to get a specific sex is a particular subset of that IIRC and far greater than even the already high cost for IVF.

Girls are awesome. They just require lots of love and fatherly attention as they grow up. You can't baby them or be wrapped around their finger yet you still need to balance showing them affection and the proper way to treat a lady. I view it to almost having two wives. You need to balance love and affection for both your daughters and your wife. Everything you do for them is going to be etched in her brain as she grows up and it will be her normal. The way you treat her and your wife will give her the baseline she will use for her relationships in the future.

Since a lot of guys are emotionally constipated and have a better relationship with people in their guild, forum or their gaming machine its not a surprise what you end up with at the end of a neglected relationship.

Boys really require a lot of the same. They just don't have the nasty consequence of bringing home a baby for mom and dad to help raise and the stigma of your boy doing drugs and having group sex is far different than your little girl.

I want at least one son and girls are extremely common in my wife's family. Like 80% of her generation and their kids. I mostly want a healthy child and wouldn't mind a daughter, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad to have a son on the way.
I'm trying to figure out how to respond to this. Not sure if serious? I have no clue what your wifes family history has to do with your sperm since its your sperm that determines the sex and all theories about how to have sex at the right times or eat certain foods to increase chances of a male sperm fertilizing versus a female one and vice versa have been completely debunked.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So the wife is three months prego. We just had our 12-13 week screening for all the bad stuff and everything came back well within normal parameters. The sonogramer also managed to get a peak at the sex and thinks it might be a boy! Huzzah.

What am I getting myself into.

Regarding fertility, my wife is now 36 and we had to go through some treatment to get her preggo the first time. Well, we were getting ready to go through the process for the second baby and as my wife was going in for her baseline she was already 6 weeks pregnant. So there's that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to figure out how to respond to this. Not sure if serious? I have no clue what your wifes family history has to do with your sperm since its your sperm that determines the sex and all theories about how to have sex at the right times or eat certain foods to increase chances of a male sperm fertilizing versus a female one and vice versa have been completely debunked.
I'm serious but I have no idea what I'm talking about and haven't seen any credible literature backing up or debunking the idea that the father or mother are genetically predisposed to producing male or female offspring. Most of the information about pregnancy I've seen is as credible as one would think a female-dominated subject would be.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Congratulations, Draegan! Let's move close together and have our sons take over the family forum in a few decades.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Let's say you flip a coin 106 billion times, what's the probability that there will be a few streaks of 20 or so flips that end up 80% heads?

As Etoille said, it is the sperm that determines gender anyways.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Let's say you flip a coin 106 billion times, what's the probability that there will be a few streaks of 20 or so flips that end up 80% heads?

As Etoille said, it is the sperm that determines gender anyways.
I imagine the chance that happens approaches 1.

I'm serious but I have no idea what I'm talking about and haven't seen any credible literature backing up or debunking the idea that the father or mother are genetically predisposed to producing male or female offspring. Most of the information about pregnancy I've seen is as credible as one would think a female-dominated subject would be.
...how about 10th grade biology? You make y chromosomes. She doesn't?

Like I'm completely ...STUNNED at your answer. Seriously.

So the wife is three months prego. We just had our 12-13 week screening for all the bad stuff and everything came back well within normal parameters. The sonogramer also managed to get a peak at the sex and thinks it might be a boy! Huzzah.

What am I getting myself into.

Regarding fertility, my wife is now 36 and we had to go through some treatment to get her preggo the first time. Well, we were getting ready to go through the process for the second baby and as my wife was going in for her baseline she was already 6 weeks pregnant. So there's that.
Congrats!!! I'm only about 1 month -1.5 months behind!

Also at 13 weeks the genitals extremely similar - don't go buying blue stuff just yet.

Are you all going to do stuff like Materniti21 this time around since she's considered high risk due to age? I'm 33 and we're going to do it this time - skipped it last time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You shouldn't be so stunned by my ignorance, there's a lot I don't know. If you're assuming that because you learned in highschool that the male sperm determines the gender of the baby and that's the only variable then maybe you're right. I have no idea if the acidity of the female's body, the timing of the ovulation, the nutritional surpluses or deficiency of the female, or the average temperature of the female affects the ability for male or female sperm to survive. And I have no idea if certain females are genetically predispositioned toward those factors.

Like I said I haven't found any good publications on it. If you've got them handy feel free to share, but don't get too upset that I don't have the answers.

You shouldn't be so stunned by my ignorance, there's a lot I don't know. If you're assuming that because you learned in highschool that the male sperm determines the gender of the baby and that's the only variable then maybe you're right. I have no idea if the acidity of the female's body, the timing of the ovulation, the nutritional surpluses or deficiency of the female, or the average temperature of the female affects the ability for male or female sperm to survive. And I have no idea if certain females are genetically predispositioned toward those factors.

Like I said I haven't found any good publications on it. If you've got them handy feel free to share, but don't get too upset that I don't have the answers.
Like I mean I get that you don't know but I don't know what the hell you mean by "well most of the research isn't credible because its a female dominated subject"...like dude...what a totally ignorant thing to say considering that most doctors in that field are male and have been for a long time. Like I don't even know why you'd say something so ridiculous when you admit you have like zero knowledge on the subject.

I just...I honestly have like the hardest time processing the stuff coming out of your mouth. Like I'm so shocked that I don't think I want to continue down this crazy ass path. I feel like I'm getting trolled.

What.the.actual.fuck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Like I mean I get that you don't know but I don't know what the hell you mean by "well most of the research isn't credible because its a female dominated subject"...like dude...what a totally ignorant thing to say considering that most doctors in that field are male and have been for a long time. Like I don't even know why you'd say something so ridiculous when you admit you have like zero knowledge on the subject.

I just...I honestly have like the hardest time processing the stuff coming out of your mouth. Like I'm so shocked that I don't think I want to continue down this crazy ass path. I feel like I'm getting trolled.

What.the.actual.fuck.
There's no path, I have no idea what the truth is. The female thing was a joke. However I've been inundated with women telling me old wives tales about pregnancy, and very few articles about pregnancy attempt to cite the facts they state.

So do you have any research you've done to support your facts or are you still using what you learned in high school? I'm genuinely curious and you seem really confident.

There's no path, I have no idea what the truth is. The female thing was a joke. However I've been inundated with women telling me old wives tales about pregnancy, and very few articles about pregnancy attempt to cite the facts they state.

So do you have any research you've done to support your facts or are you still using what you learned in high school? I'm genuinely curious and you seem really confident.
There's a ton out there. Google Shettles debunked for starters.

My research is what's saying that the old wives tales is bullshit. The "eat more sweets its a girl" stuff is too - what you are craving is due to deficiencies most often, not related at all to what sex you are carrying. There's an old wives tale about if a woman eats more acidic foods during trying to conceive that the male sperm won't survive in a more 'hostile' environment. Bullshit.

Getting pregnant is actually quite difficult. Much more so than teen mom would have the general population believe. If there was selection going on in the uterus you'd see this play out in all sorts of IF related scenarios (that aren't a karyotypical issue) - and you don't. The trend is still 50/50 boy to girl.

Shettles had the best shot at potentially being right because in theory it makes complete sense but its still been thoroughly debunked. Was a good theory but science just said no. If Shettles was at all reliable there wouldn't be entire industries around sex selective PGD/IVF and there would DEFINITELY be a lot less "gender disappointment" insanity (google that for some really depressing crazy people who have like 10 kids all one sex and keep having kids to try and get one of the other sex and are seriously disappointed in having 'another boy/girl' - breaks my heart for the kids that the parents are that fucked up).