Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just rolled a mage I will be playing casually. I played one for about 7 years on Innoruuk until it merged with Nameless. Name is Yimmien if anyone wants to group up sometime!
Whoa small world. I played on Innoruuk for a long time. Had friends in Ashen Vendetta. I remember you! I hopped around so many toons though, I don't even remember the names.
frown.png
Garlande a wizard, Vicceroy a bard. Probably some others.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
SK is a rough job, but you can solo from 1-60 ... I have soloed good chunks of every level on live and p99 on my SKs... its just time... but you also can group whenever you want, SKs are great group tanks and great duo partners - Shaman + SK = do whatevah
It's important to remember that as a high-end SK, you need to be a god-tier player to be useful in a raiding environment. And generally a necromancer or monk could do your job better (insta fd + sneak or two DAs + rune). SKs need harmshield imo, it's only fair.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am saddened by the realization that making a Gnome Necro twink is a bad idea since Iksar is far superior.
Largely irrelevant. BOTB winner and BOTB 2nd place were both gnomes. Necrious is a fantastic necro, though. Shinko was...okay.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the long and short of that stuff is How Good are YOU? None of that race stuff really matters a whit imho.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah the long and short of that stuff is How Good are YOU? None of that race stuff really matters a whit imho.
I would say Iksar necro has a convenience factor for sure, what's the final difference with highest lvl lich up? They have 11 extra regen at 60 while FD right? However, as Heallun said, people like Necrious will always be better because necros have so many tools at their disposal that the skill ceiling is very high. Did they ever fix purging your healing recourse off yourself Heallun?

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Largely irrelevant. BOTB winner and BOTB 2nd place were both gnomes. Necrious is a fantastic necro, though. Shinko was...okay.
Good to know. Obviously depends on who you ask though. Was just reading the forums about race choices, and pretty much every thread says you'll absolutely regret not playing an Iksar as a necro due to the regen, especially once you get Demi-Lich. I guess if you're not raiding as a necro it's not quite as important, but I do know the main proponent of necros over there who wrote the wiki guide had a 60 DE necro and rerolled to Iksar (who is now 55) because the difference between the 2 was so drastic.

I'm really just debating on other alts I might want to make. Not super concerned with min/maxing my non-main, but also don't want to waste the time playing something everyone would tell me to reroll.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's really too bad that the regeneration is so powerful for necros. All of the good necros I remember from classic EQ were Gnomes or Dark Elves. There were also a good mix of Erudite and Humans in there. To feel as if you're completely gimped by selecting any other race is horseshit. The whole roleplaying aspect and feel for what a necro should be and look like suits Gnomes and DEs 100 times better than some idiotic lizard race. At least in the case of Shamans, you have troll as a solid second option.

That said, I'd probably still go gnome. I just don't think I could enjoy playing an Iksar, they're awful.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
It's really too bad that the regeneration is so powerful for necros. All of the good necros I remember from classic EQ were Gnomes or Dark Elves. There were also a good mix of Erudite and Humans in there. To feel as if you're completely gimped by selecting any other race is horseshit. The whole roleplaying aspect and feel for what a necro should be and look like suits Gnomes and DEs 100 times better than some idiotic lizard race. At least in the case of Shamans, you have troll as a solid second option.

That said, I'd probably still go gnome. I just don't think I could enjoy playing an Iksar, they're awful.
This is how I feel as well. I just don't like Iksar and they're so overpopulated, clearly because regen is so ridiculously overpowered. There is something to be said about how balanced a racial ability is when people actually tell you to reroll, because you're going to be totally gimped at 60 without that ability playing any other race.

Guess one could say the same about Ogres and frontal stun immunity, although I don't hear as much "Only play Ogre if you go warrior" as I do Iksar and Necro.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I almost brought up the Ogre Warrior one as well, but I don't think it's quite as bad. The need to be shrunk to operate in most classic dungeons and is a pain and it's value lies mostly in raiding. In a non raid situation, I'm not sure that I would prefer to be an Ogre. Having to shrink or DE mask every time you zone sucks.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
I tried to make an iksar shaman bc of min max... I just can't.. same as SK...
Yeah, I just created an Iksar Necro to try it out. I can't do it. I hate the walk, the casting animations, the looks, the tail. Ugh. Regen may be incredible but I have to go Gnome if I play Necro lol.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why are you thinking of re-rolling anyway? I thought you had a cleric that you liked.

I've been studying like a madman for the GMAT all year and this thread has been making me crave some EQ.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
You'd play Iksar Shaman for min/max?

Why not Troll Shaman? It may not have the same AC bonus but it certainly has regen (same as iksar), one of the best starting areas, somewhat repairable faction, can wear the important stuff at this era (Jaundiced Bone Bracelet) etc.

I mean I guess once Velious hits, it won't be as bad. But still.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Why are you thinking of re-rolling anyway? I thought you had a cleric that you liked.
Not re-rolling, I do like my cleric. Just wanted an alt that didn't require a long group commitment when I don't have a lot of time. People get mad when you're a cleric and go to Sebilis Crypt and have to leave in a couple hours.
frown.png

I've been studying like a madman for the GMAT all year and this thread has been making me crave some EQ.
You should come back and group with me!
biggrin.png

Kayak

Trakanon Raider
To anyone just starting up on p99, PM me if you need some starting plat. I can buff on my 60 main and also am leveling a paladin who is 22 so we can group up if you are in level range.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
You'd play Iksar Shaman for min/max?

Why not Troll Shaman? It may not have the same AC bonus but it certainly has regen (same as iksar), one of the best starting areas, somewhat repairable faction, can wear the important stuff at this era (Jaundiced Bone Bracelet) etc.

I mean I guess once Velious hits, it won't be as bad. But still.
I was under the impression that Ogre stun immunity made them the best shaman class- especially at high levels with all the chain stunning mobs?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Holy shit. Necrious is still playing? I remember him when he was still wearing cloth gear! Much less his time in Fish Bait and Dark Ascension with me. Jesus - to think of how many people he has seen come and go on P99.
eek.png