Pussification in America: Political Correctness is Gay

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We should just send all kids to Hogwarts. They seemed to turn out alright, except those Slytherin kids.

Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me why when the magic hat sends kids to Slytherin they don't just have Hagrid's griffin drop them off the nearest tower? Or, you know, mix them in with the not-fucking-evil kids in hopes that they have good positive role models in their lives? You know, instead of sending them off to a whole wing of the building so they can all plot together about how to fuck corpses or whatever for the next 8 years of their life. I didn't read the books, but this House Slytherin idea seems really fucking dumb all the way down.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I didn't read the books, but at about the second movie I was like "wait... so all the bad guys go to Slytherin... and everyone is just ok with this..." Whatever, it's a kids movie. You would have thought the good wizards would have been taking care of shit like legions of Voldemort supporters just walking around talking about that shit in public, or putting kids in Slytherin which amounts to bad guy boot camp.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its the same idea from The Stand. Glen Bateman was having a philosophical discussion about good (the black lady) and evil(randall flagg). both sides had visions and a lot more were joining up with flagg, they werent necessarily bad people but people who chose flagg because a lot of his goals matched theirs. mostly techies and other professionals wanting to get the power back on and continue with their lives using technology. they saw the black lady as a big fucking religious hippy commune and people wanted no part of that. i often used to think about which side i would have chosen and i would have picked Flagg, and i also would have wanted to be in Slytherin too.

because the gryffindors and the other houses seemed to do nothing but fuck around all day and do silly shit. now because of this the alpha males with the giant egos would gravitate towards slytherin. sure you can say Crabbe and Goyle were dumbasses, but they were easily manipulated dumbasses who joined most likely because they figured slytherin was where they could pretend to be bigshots while really being nothing but a couple of bullies. malfoy wasnt really evil. he was just a snot. voldemort was the only evil one and he was slytherin because of his very focused mind and willful personality. voldemort manipulated his classmates like malfoy sr,. later on he realized he was following a madman and he himself turned into an asshole. though i cant blame him for wanting to murder harry potter.
smile.png

oh and why didnt hermione want to join slytherin because she would have been a great slytherin? because of her mudblood and wouldnt have wanted anything to do with a house that is full of pureblooded snobs and figured they wouldnt want anything to do with her. and she would have been right.

smile.png

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
This is an interesting discussion to have. I absolutely agree that there are differences in cultures that make some better or worse. For example, and I apologize for Godwin'ing this right off the bat, but would you say that German Nazi culture circa 1939 was "good" or "bad"? What about the culture endemic to tribal areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan today? You know, the ones that blow up archaeological treasures thousands of years old, treat women like cattle, and revel in the death of anyone who doesn't agree with every last bit of their religious beliefs.

I agree that it's not an easy or comfortable discussion to have, and a lot of it may well be thinly veiled racism, but in my mind there is no question that the cultures of some nations/regions are better than others, depending on how you define "better" (and that's a whole other argument unto itself).

I just don't accept that every culture is equal or even to be respected. Some are unquestionably wrong headed and straight up fucked, and we shouldn't be afraid to say so. Do you stone women to death for being raped? If you answer is yes, then your culture fucking sucks.
I agree with all of this, yet the problem is it's way too controversial to say it about less obvious cases. Sure you can say Nazi Germany culture was bad, or vaguely say that cultures that don't respect women's equality are bad, but once you start naming specific cultures, people throw a fit. You can say "cultures that don't respect women's equality are bad" and no one disagrees, but if you say, for example, "Arab culture is bad because they don't respect women's equality" you are in dangerous territory.

I wish it was less taboo to talk openly about the good and bad of various cultures. It might lead to good changes. There are plenty of fucked up things about white American culture, so it's not just a 1-way street. But the only thing you're really "allowed" to do is talk about the good things of other cultures.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much. And I'm glad you separated out "white American" culture from simply "white" culture, as I can't think of a single "race" that shares a culture, globally. Even in the US there isn't a single white culture.

I mentioned this a long time ago on FoH, but an interesting little scenario popped up in college years ago. We were looking at graduation rates in California among many different high schools (for what reason I completely forget) and the information was listed by "race". In EVERY case Asians had the highest rate, undisputed. When I wondered aloud why that might be, oh boy, time to change the subject! No one was interested in that. Blacks and Hispanics had lower rates than whites. We can look at Blacks, and say, hey, racism factually exists, and could help explain their lower rates. Many Hispanics in California can't speak or read/write English well at all - maybe that could help explain their lower rates. Now, both of these could (and to a lesser extent no doubt do) apply to Asians as well. Yet they were doing better than Whites, and substantially better than Blacks and Hispanics. Why is this? Are Asians genetically more intelligent than the rest of us?

Can you provide the answer, or even an educated guess Alex? I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
East asian kids do better because their first/second generation parents hold them responsible for their actions as they reflect on the family as a whole. This is a consistent aspect of east asian culture. I'm pretty sure they also have a statistically higher rate of suicide, so it's not all #winning.

Southeast/South Asians aren't necessarily the same. I knew some hmong in georgia that were basically country folk that didn't care for our culture's metrics of good and bad. There were like 100+ of them living in mobile homes in the woods raising pigs and vegetables.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I agree with all of this, yet the problem is it's way too controversial to say it about less obvious cases. Sure you can say Nazi Germany culture was bad, or vaguely say that cultures that don't respect women's equality are bad, but once you start naming specific cultures, people throw a fit. You can say "cultures that don't respect women's equality are bad" and no one disagrees, but if you say, for example, "Arab culture is bad because they don't respect women's equality" you are in dangerous territory.

I wish it was less taboo to talk openly about the good and bad of various cultures. It might lead to good changes. There are plenty of fucked up things about white American culture, so it's not just a 1-way street. But the only thing you're really "allowed" to do is talk about the good things of other cultures.
Problem is everyone is so thin skinned and takes everything personally. Dont worry though bro, Ill be the first to say that Afghani culture and customs are fucking repulsive and should be eliminated.
Wait, so you attack public schools, then attack uniforms. Most public schools don't have uniforms.
Most.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Afghani culture? One of the issues afghanistan faces is that nationalism isn't strong. They're primarily rural pashtun, northern tajik, and central hazara. Their anthem is in pashto, but dari is commonly used by half the population.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Very interesting discussion that can go in many different directions.

I agree with the passive aggressive crap being possibly white because I was wanting to scream the south. I came from the Chicago area, and when I moved to Tennessee, I noticed how everyone was so polite. At first I liked it, until I saw that it's all this front and that behind your back these people are secretly plotting your murder. Now I'm becoming more of a recluse because I honestly don't know who is genuinely my friend or just being "hospitable" to my face.

Schools: Uniforms would be welcome here. Bottom line, our woes in education seem to rest mostly on the parents and the school administrators. Uniforms would not solve all of life's problems, but as an IT guy in a school system it'd spare me having to look at some future crack whore's ass cheeks and thong hanging out everywhere she goes. While I am disgusted, I'm also scared because that kid is doomed before they even have a chance to get started.

They are now big on "squashing out" bullying, and of all the PC crusades this one seems to be the worst. They are going all big brother and watching all their facebook posts, and and any other social media. Will it eliminate it? Not until you put them in straight jackets and duct tape their mouths shut. However you are going to trample all over everyone's rights in the process, so hey why not?

And teachers are not to blame in this. They aren't the ones who decide to build a multimillion dollar athletic complex when the elementary school has leaks, mold issues, and half the HVAC units are dead. They aren't the ones at capital hill playing scratch your buddies back and purchasing products only from those in the "good ole boy network." They aren't the ones who could care less if their own children are out in the streets at night. Until parents step up to the plate and actually give a shit about that kid they punched out onto society, we are going to have problems in our education. I donate to a local program that hands out backpacks full of food on the weekends and during the summers because we know those kids won't eat otherwise. That should not be happening. Ugh sorry for going on about the education rant versus the PC rant, but some of the posts here struck a nerve.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, there's even a pejorative term for being honest about this kind of thing: ethnocentrism. I specifically remember being taught about how all cultures are wonderful and that judging others from the perspective of my own was ethnocentrism in junior high. Even back then that sounded like crap to me. But on the other hand, like I said, it's pretty difficult to separate race from culture in a lot of cases (Arab vs. tribal Islamic societies, for example).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Anthropology is the field that came up with the terms ethnocentric and culturally relativistic. They did so because if you are conducting ethnographic research on foreign cultures, it is impossible to judge them from an emic perspective (from a perspective as if you were one within their culture versus etic perspective which is to view a culture from an outsider's perspective) without abandoning notions of cultural superiority.

As ethnographers in the 1800s and early 1900s traveled the globe, some were very racist in their world view. They would go and watch a group of people but would not engage with them at all. They would make no efforts to talk to or really understand how the people they were conducting research on viewed the world and related to it. All their conclusions were then very negative (These tribal people are uneducated, they have these cultural attitudes that are completely the opposite of the norm of Western culture, things like matriarchial societies and polygamist societies etc). This was very unscientific, and was causing anthropologists to ignore things like women's roles in society, as well as groups that weren't in power, in favor of focusing almost exclusively on male centered power structures.

The entire concept is meant for scientific research principles. You cannot fairly conduct ethnographic research if all your conclusions come from a world view that your culture is better than everyone else's.

These terms were not meant to be applied in broad society. Its important for people to respect one another's cultures, but the fact is that common, every day people will always view "their" culture as "better" than others, and trying to convince them otherwise will never work, because average everyday people aren't made to be open minded, culturally tolerant and completely unjudgemental about other's cultural values. If you think the Afghans have a fucked up culture, just believe me, they have the same feelings towards Western culture. Because that's how common people are. They relate best to what they are inculturated into from an early age, and change and viewing other cultures as equally valuable is rare in the average society. Its just a natural part of being a human. You like what you know best, and can't possibly see why someone else would like something else better.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Its important for people to respect one another's cultures
I don't respect cultures; I respect people despite their culture.

There are some fucked up, horrible cultures in the world but not every member of those cultures is a horrible person.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Yeah i've come to the conclusion you can't be biased against things individuals can't change like skin color or place of birth but you sure as hell can be biased against culture which is man made and changeable.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
People used to think polygamist cultures across Africa were "fucked up, horrible cultures" until anthropologists finally actually figured out "Hey, why don't we ask them WHY they marry multiple women".

The answer, it turned out, was very simply that in agricultural societies a larger available labor pool in a family leads to better security for everyone in the family, in terms of raw survival. More wives = more children = larger labor pool for the farm = more food for the whole family. So the reason polygamy exists in these cultures, it turns out, is not because women are viewed as lesser beings whose sole existence is on pleasing the male, but rather it is because the extra labor allows for a better survival for the whole family complex.

This is why cultural relativism in scientific research is so important. If ethnographers go into a culture they've never been a part of, and just start throwing out judgements like "Oh, all these activities you engage in are horrible because they're different" then they have just created a massive division between themselves, and the community they choose to conduct research on.

In anthropological classes, this phenomena of viewing other cultures negatively simply because they are perceived as different is often exemplified with the use of the Body Ritual of the Nacirema story, I hope you'll take the time to read it.

https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/miner.html?pagewanted=al

The anthropologist has become so familiar with the diversity of ways in which different people behave in similar situations that he is not apt to be surprised by even the most exotic customs. In fact, if all of the logically possible combinations of behavior have not been found somewhere in the world, he is apt to suspect that they must be present in some yet undescribed tribe. The point has, in fact, been expressed with respect to clan organization by Murdock (1949: 71).[2] In this light, the magical beliefs and practices of the Nacirema present such unusual aspects that it seems desirable to describe them as an example of the extremes to which human behavior can go.

? 1
Professor Linton [3] first brought the ritual of the Nacirema to the attention of anthropologists twenty years ago (1936: 326), but the culture of this people is still very poorly understood. They are a North American group living in the territory between the Canadian Cree, the Yaqui and Tarahumare of Mexico, and the Carib and Arawak of the Antilles. Little is known of their origin, although tradition states that they came from the east.... [4] ? 2

Nacirema culture is characterized by a highly developed market economy which has evolved in a rich natural habitat. While much of the people's time is devoted to economic pursuits, a large part of the fruits of these labors and a considerable portion of the day are spent in ritual activity. The focus of this activity is the human body, the appearance and health of which loom as a dominant concern in the ethos of the people. While such a concern is certainly not unusual, its ceremonial aspects and associated philosophy are unique. ? 3

The fundamental belief underlying the whole system appears to be that the human body is ugly and that its natural tendency is to debility and disease. Incarcerated in such a body, man's only hope is to avert these characteristics through the use of ritual and ceremony. Every household has one or more shrines devoted to this purpose. The more powerful individuals in the society have several shrines in their houses and, in fact, the opulence of a house is often referred to in terms of the number of such ritual centers it possesses. Most houses are of wattle and daub construction, but the shrine rooms of the more wealthy are walled with stone. Poorer families imitate the rich by applying pottery plaques to their shrine walls. ? 4
While each family has at least one such shrine, the rituals associated with it are not family ceremonies but are private and secret. The rites are normally only discussed with children, and then only during the period when they are being initiated into these mysteries. I was able, however, to establish sufficient rapport with the natives to examine these shrines and to have the rituals described to me. ? 5

The focal point of the shrine is a box or chest which is built into the wall. In this chest are kept the many charms and magical potions without which no native believes he could live. These preparations are secured from a variety of specialized practitioners. The most powerful of these are the medicine men, whose assistance must be rewarded with substantial gifts. However, the medicine men do not provide the curative potions for their clients, but decide what the ingredients should be and then write them down in an ancient and secret language. This writing is understood only by the medicine men and by the herbalists who, for another gift, provide the required charm. ? 6

The charm is not disposed of after it has served its purpose, but is placed in the charmbox of the household shrine. As these magical materials are specific for certain ills, and the real or imagined maladies of the people are many, the charm-box is usually full to overflowing. The magical packets are so numerous that people forget what their purposes were and fear to use them again. While the natives are very vague on this point, we can only assume that the idea in retaining all the old magical materials is that their presence in the charm-box, before which the body rituals are conducted, will in some way protect the worshiper. ? 7

Beneath the charm-box is a small font. Each day every member of the family, in succession, enters the shrine room, bows his head before the charm-box, mingles different sorts of holy water in the font, and proceeds with a brief rite of ablution.[5] The holy waters are secured from the Water Temple of the community, where the priests conduct elaborate ceremonies to make the liquid ritually pure.

? 8
In the hierarchy of magical practitioners, and below the medicine men in prestige, are specialists whose designation is best translated as "holy-mouth-men." The Nacirema have an almost pathological horror of and fascination with the mouth, the condition of which is believed to have a supernatural influence on all social relationships. Were it not for the rituals of the mouth, they believe that their teeth would fall out, their gums bleed, their jaws shrink, their friends desert them, and their lovers reject them. They also believe that a strong relationship exists between oral and moral characteristics. For example, there is a ritual ablution of the mouth for children which is supposed to improve their moral fiber. ? 9

The daily body ritual performed by everyone includes a mouth-rite. Despite the fact that these people are so punctilious [6] about care of the mouth, this rite involves a practice which strikes the uninitiated stranger as revolting. It was reported to me that the ritual consists of inserting a small bundle of hog hairs into the mouth, along with certain magical powders, and then moving the bundle in a highly formalized series of gestures.[7] ? 10

In addition to the private mouth-rite, the people seek out a holy-mouth-man once or twice a year. These practitioners have an impressive set of paraphernalia, consisting of a variety of augers, awls, probes, and prods. The use of [505 begins ->] these objects in the exorcism of the evils of the mouth involves almost unbelievable ritual torture of the client. The holy-mouth-man opens the client's mouth and, using the above mentioned tools, enlarges any holes which decay may have created in the teeth. Magical materials are put into these holes. If there are no naturally occurring holes in the teeth, large sections of one or more teeth are gouged out so that the supernatural substance can be applied. In the client's view, the purpose of these ministrations [8] is to arrest decay and to draw friends. The extremely sacred and traditional character of the rite is evident in the fact that the natives return to the holy-mouth-men year after year, despite the fact that their teeth continue to decay. ? 11

It is to be hoped that, when a thorough study of the Nacirema is made, there will be careful inquiry into the personality structure of these people. One has but to watch the gleam in the eye of a holy-mouth-man, as he jabs an awl into an exposed nerve, to suspect that a certain amount of sadism is involved. If this can be established, a very interesting pattern emerges, for most of the population shows definite masochistic tendencies. It was to these that Professor Linton referred in discussing a distinctive part of the daily body ritual which is performed only by men. This part of the rite includes scraping and lacerating the surface of the face with a sharp instrument. Special women's rites are performed only four times during each lunar month, but what they lack in frequency is made up in barbarity. As part of this ceremony, women bake their heads in small ovens for about an hour. The theoretically interesting point is that what seems to be a preponderantly masochistic people have developed sadistic specialists. ? 12

The medicine men have an imposing temple, or latipso, in every community of any size. The more elaborate ceremonies required to treat very sick patients can only be performed at this temple. These ceremonies involve not only the thaumaturge [9] but a permanent group of vestal maidens who move sedately about the temple chambers in distinctive costume and headdress. ? 13

The latipso ceremonies are so harsh that it is phenomenal that a fair proportion of the really sick natives who enter the temple ever recover. Small children whose indoctrination is still incomplete have been known to resist attempts to take them to the temple because "that is where you go to die." Despite this fact, sick adults are not only willing but eager to undergo the protracted ritual purification, if they can afford to do so. No matter how ill the supplicant or how grave the emergency, the guardians of many temples will not admit a client if he cannot give a rich gift to the custodian. Even after one has gained and survived the ceremonies, the guardians will not permit the neophyte to leave until he makes still another gift. ? 14

The supplicant entering the temple is first stripped of all his or her clothes. In everyday life the Nacirema avoids exposure of his body and its natural functions. Bathing and excretory acts are performed only in the secrecy of the household shrine, where they are ritualized as part of the body-rites. Psychological shock results from the fact that body secrecy is suddenly lost upon entry into the latipso. A man, whose own wife has never seen him in an excretory act, suddenly finds himself naked and assisted by a vestal maiden while he performs his natural functions into a sacred vessel. This sort of ceremonial treatment is necessitated by the fact that the excreta are used by a diviner to ascertain the course and nature of the client's sickness. Female clients, on the other hand, find their naked bodies are subjected to the scrutiny, manipulation and prodding of the medicine men. ? 15

Few supplicants in the temple are well enough to do anything but lie on their hard beds. The daily ceremonies, like the rites of the holy-mouth-men, involve discomfort and torture. With ritual precision, the vestals awaken their miserable charges each dawn and roll them about on their beds of pain while performing ablutions, in the formal movements of which the maidens are highly trained. At other times they insert magic wands in the supplicant's mouth or force him to eat substances which are supposed to be healing. From time to time the medicine men come to their clients and jab magically treated needles into their flesh. The fact that these temple ceremonies may not cure, and may even kill the neophyte, in no way decreases the people's faith in the medicine men. ? 16

There remains one other kind of practitioner, known as a "listener." This witch-doctor has the power to exorcise the devils that lodge in the heads of people who have been bewitched. The Nacirema believe that parents bewitch their own children. Mothers are particularly suspected of putting a curse on children while teaching them the secret body rituals. The counter-magic of the witch-doctor is unusual in its lack of ritual. The patient simply tells the "listener" all his troubles and fears, beginning with the earliest difficulties he can remember. The memory displayed by the Nacirema in these exorcism sessions is truly remarkable. It is not uncommon for the patient to bemoan the rejection he felt upon being weaned as a babe, and a few individuals even see their troubles going back to the traumatic effects of their own birth. ? 17

In conclusion, mention must be made of certain practices which have their base in native esthetics but which depend upon the pervasive aversion to the natural body and its functions. There are ritual fasts to make fat people thin and ceremonial feasts to make thin people fat. Still other rites are used to make women's breasts larger if they are small, and smaller if they are large. General dissatisfaction with breast shape is symbolized in the fact that the ideal form is virtually outside the range of human variation. A few women afflicted with almost inhuman hypermammary development are so idolized that they make a handsome living by simply going from village to village and permitting the natives to stare at them for a fee. ? 18

Reference has already been made to the fact that excretory functions are ritualized, routinized, and relegated to secrecy. Natural reproductive functions are similarly distorted. Intercourse is taboo as a topic and scheduled as an act. Efforts are made to avoid pregnancy by the use of magical materials or by limiting intercourse to certain phases of the moon. Conception is actually very infrequent. When pregnant, women dress so as to hide their condition. Parturition takes place in secret, without friends or relatives to assist, and the majority of women do not nurse their infants. ? 19

Our review of the ritual life of the Nacirema has certainly shown them to be a magic-ridden people. It is hard to understand how they have managed to exist so long under the burdens which they have imposed upon themselves. But even such exotic customs as these take on real meaning when they are viewed with the insight provided by Malinowski [10] when he wrote (1948: 70): ? 20

Looking from far and above, from our high places of safety in the developed civilization, it is easy to see all the crudity and irrelevance of magic. But without its power and guidance early man could not have mastered his practical difficulties as he has done, nor could man have advanced to the higher stages of civilization.[11]

in case you couldn't figure it out, this entire article describes, in detail, the normal every day patterns of lifestyles among Americans. Nacirema is American backwards. Depending upon the context, all cultures can be viewed as strange, horrible, or fucked up. Because you aren't a part of those cultures, so you aren't inculturated in their lifestyle patterns. Just because you feel that their cultural practices are strange, does not make their lives, their cultures, and their existences, less valid or bad. That's the point

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
There are some aspects of some cultures that are just plain shitty. It's not a matter of "perceiving them as different".

Think about some of the cultures that existed in the past, like the infamous and well known ancient Greek/Spartan practice of killing children which they deemed weak or not worth raising. If there were a culture chucking their babies off cliffs today do you think people would say "No bro, it's cool. It's just a different culture and we don't understand it. Let them kill the babies."

That's not far off from some of the shit that goes on with some of these tribal cultures in the Middle East and Central Asia. Are all the people in these cultures bad? Of course not, and in fact I have met many great people from cultures that I deem to be generally awful.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There are some aspects of some cultures that are just plain shitty
I can assure you, there are plenty of parts of our culture that other cultures view as "just plain shitty".

Like our materialism. Arabs don't like it one bit. They think a focus on materialism and modernity is a rejection of Allah's will, that it is in fact a horrible, immoral act.

It takes virtually no thought or effort whatsoever to look at behavioral patterns you aren't familiar with and declare them all invalid and "just plain shitty".

Your example, for instance, takes absolutely not one ounce of the cultural context of the behaviors you describe into account. Why did Romans and Greeks kill weak babies, if they even did?

In the context of 2000 plus years ago, there was no medical care available for these people. Trying to care for a child with severe disabilities in premodern contexts is virtually impossible, they are taking up precious resources but are unable to assist in acquiring any. Most likely, they will die anyway, at worst they may take precious resources away from the family which could be better expended ensuring the survival of the rest of the family. There are tradeoffs in energy usage in terms of survival that your entire argument misses out on completely that were the source and cause of this behavioral pattern in the first place.

You're doing nothing but making my point for me, by showing that biased presumptions about cultural practices we are unfamiliar with will distort the capacity for reasoned and logical comprehension of the source of the behavioral patterns you are describing.

Again, in normal every day life, you'd be hard pressed to convince everyone, people like you especially, that maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't be so quick to judge. You've been inculturated to believe X activity is always wrong, so therefore, if you come across a culture that believes X activity actually isn't wrong, your immediate conclusion is that these people are immoral, bad, fucked up, crazy or just plain stupid. Notice how absolutely none of these conclusions give the culture you're discussing even one ounce of validity for their own practices?

Yeah. That's the point. You can't look at cultures that way in science. Its called introducing bias into your research. It would be as if you decided you wanted to find out about education in America, and so you chose to look at the 10 worst performing students at the worst performing school in the nation, and then tried to apply your results and conclusions to every student in every classroom in the nation.

added:

The Greeks provide another good example. They used to engage in pederasty pretty frequently. For thousands of years, of course, Western civilization viewed homosexuality and the practice of homosexuality as incredibly sinful and deviant. If you were from Western cultures in the 1700s, you'd think women being able to vote and blacks being considered legally equal to whites were pretty horrible and deviant social practices. And if homosexuality was as widely accepted in a culture then as it is today, or back when the Greeks were running things, men and women from that 1700s Western culture would look at the culture practicing homosexuality in that degree as deviant, effectively immoral, broken barbarians.

Funny how fast attitudes change, when you really think about it. Transplant an American from 1950 into today's culture and ask him what he thinks about all the homosexuality, transgenderism, etc. see what conclusions he comes to. I can assure you, they won't be pretty.

Perspective is truly a funny thing. Its why I study anthropology in the first place. Its funny how differently world views can be, based solely on background, environment, upbringing, etc.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can assure you, there are plenty of parts of our culture that other cultures view as "just plain shitty".

Like our materialism. Arabs don't like it one bit. They think a focus on materialism and modernity is a rejection of Allah's will, that it is in fact a horrible, immoral act.
Do what now? Can I get a source here? Have you ever been to the Middle East? That doesn't sound even remotely true.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Are you fucking joking, or just ignorant? Christianity has similar views on materialism, its part and parcel of Abrahamic theology, you know. Thou shalt have no other gods before me, including false idols like golden calves and the television.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it's true, have you seen the riots in turkey lately? they are protesting the destruction of a tree laden park to be replaced by a shopping mall, they are literally protesting against western culture.