Riddick (2013)

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup, I'll chalk that up to not searching enough and take the negs; my bad. Still, new trailer looks good.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
comes out next friday. i got dinner reservations (wedding anniversary-18th) for 5:30 then seeing this at 7:30ish trying to get the imax @jordans tickets but they don't list next friday's showtimes yet.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is this after he became head of the necros?
To my knowledge it follows Chronicles of Riddick chronologically, yes. There's an "animated" short film linked earlier in the thread that is supposed to lead into the movie.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The best part of Chronicles of Riddick was watching with commentary and listening to the actors sound like complete douchebags.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Isn't it fascinating how low they can keep the budget down when the leading star finances the movie? There might be a lesson here.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I really hope this ends up being a success. I really want to see more movies in the Riddick universe. Never understood why people hate on Vin Diesel. He's a pretty alright dude.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Isn't it fascinating how low they can keep the budget down when the leading star finances the movie? There might be a lesson here.
Costs get kept down for a LOT of other reasons than actors. Sets, costumes, cgi, music, these all cost way more than the actors unless you're going with the best. You can go film on some random backlot for 1 million or pay 40-80 million to use the new London sets like Star Wars, Avengers, etc...

Explained to someone the other day that Kick Ass 2 cost less than 15 million dollars to make (the film itself), they spent as much or more on advertising and promotions than they did on the movie bringing the total cost to something around 30m.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Never understood why people hate on Vin Diesel. He's a pretty alright dude.
Because:

ep4ctWv.gif

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Costs get kept down for a LOT of other reasons than actors. Sets, costumes, cgi, music, these all cost way more than the actors unless you're going with the best. You can go film on some random backlot for 1 million or pay 40-80 million to use the new London sets like Star Wars, Avengers, etc...

Explained to someone the other day that Kick Ass 2 cost less than 15 million dollars to make (the film itself), they spent as much or more on advertising and promotions than they did on the movie bringing the total cost to something around 30m.
I think you read what I wrote a little too quickly. I wasn't suggesting that Vin not paying himself is what kept costs down or even that using certain actors were what kept costs down. I'm saying that when an individual has a vested interest in making sure the budget is low because it's coming directly from his wallet that, lo and behold, films are kept within [a tiny] budget.

As I haven't seen the movie, it's possible that the special effects are done in crayon. That would help the budget stay pretty reasonable too.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
The only version of Chronicles to watch is Twohy (I always spell his name wrong) Director's Cut. It still suffers from awful acting, but the story genuinely makes sense.

It's too Hollywood because Hollywood/Studio decided to fuck up Twohy/Diesel's script. They're both cult sci-fi nuts, but cult sci-fi doesn't sell :/
Yeah, the Director's Cut of Chronicles is one of those where it's night and day between it and the cinema cut. I saw the director's cut first, went "So why did people hate this, then?" then saw the original version a while later: "Oh,that'swhy"

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, the Director's Cut of Chronicles is one of those where it's night and day between it and the cinema cut. I saw the director's cut first, went "So why did people hate this, then?" then saw the original version a while later: "Oh,that'swhy"
I've never seen the director's cut and just picked it up. Looking forward to watching this if that's how you feel about it because I even enjoyed the cinema cut.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I really hope this ends up being a success. I really want to see more movies in the Riddick universe. Never understood why people hate on Vin Diesel. He's a pretty alright dude.
Yea, he's just a buff comic book nerd. Dude is cool as hell.