Riddick (2013)

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
I watched Pitch Black and Chronicles again right before this and I thought the pacing was way too slow, and the payoff not that great in this one. The whole setup of the mercs trying to find Riddick felt like it dragged on for ages. All that should have happened within the first 30 or 40 minutes, with the rest of the movie focused on the monsters, escaping, opening of another story-arch. They basically put the grand over arching story on hold (him trying to return to Furya, dealing with the Necros, etc.), which was frustrating for me personally. I knew it was going to be more like Pitch Black than Chronicles, but was hoping for something like 75/25 rather than 95/5.

Basically, if you watched the short animation that explains what happened in between Pitch Black and Chronicles, this movie pretty much played a similar role. It just kind of wants to bridge the gap between (seemingly) more important events. If this is the first in a new series of 3 or more, then I think it was a decent starting point. If we have to wait another 9 years for the next one (or they don't have a next one), it will be a kick in the face for fans who wanted more character and story development. That being said, it was entertaining enough and I'm glad to have Riddick back.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Yeah the action isn't the problem. It's all the talking they do between action scenes that ruin the movie.
this is why dredd was the shit, they realized no one cares about the shitty dialogue in most action films

Arakkis

N00b
I really feel that Dredd could have been improved by a few lines about the color of Karl Urban's nipples.

If you don't get this joke it means you haven't seen Riddick and have 119 more fulfilled minutes in your life than I do.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed the first half of the film.

And the tail aliens were great when there were just a few, but add a thousand and they quickly lost their luster.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
wife and i both liked it. you see more than side boob of dahl/starbuck. movie was good for a setup. i liked the head asshole merc. he was hilarious.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Have actually met Vin Diesel. He showed up at a comic shop doing signings for something. Small thing. But he seemed pretty sincerely happy to see his fans and sign autographs.

Classy guy. Going to go see this tomorrow night to show my support.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Denizens: This is obviously a movie that Vin wanted to get made, and the producer credit is telling. It's got 'pet project' written all over it.

Went to go see this with the husband, and we were both pleasantly surprised at how not-bad it was. It definitely harkens back to the atmosphere and pacing of Pitch Black (the Necromonger shit is, as said, confined to about 10-15 minutes of flashback.)

One thing I will say- someone needs to stop hiring Raoul Trujillo. He wasn't bad in blow, but with a script like this I was cringing every time his characer opened his mouth. Some of his line deliveries reminded me of
rrr_img_43095.jpg

Ryanz

<Banned>
Went to see it yesterday. Even as a die hard Riddick fan, I'd have to give this movie a C+ or B-. They really tried hard to recreate Pitch Black, but they failed miserably with the characters. I really think the bounty hunters ruined the movie for me. Such cringe worthy acting and character development. The main bounty hunter, with the stupid accent, and longer hair was by far the worst. Anytime he opened his mouth it was face palm worthy. I would have been much happier if the entire movie consisted of Riddick and his pet exploring the planet and trying to survive. I think that would have been leaps and bounds better than enduring the bounty hunters taking up half the movie. I'll keep supporting the franchise in hopes that it knocks another one out of the park like I believe Pitch Black did, but the progression of the franchise has gotten worse each iteration unfortunately.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm a bit sad we haven't had an off site link to Stabuck titty yet.

How did Batista do in it, was he pretty bad?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed the movie. I also felt the mercs were a bit overkill. It through the movie off. It was not bad though and felt my money was not wasted. I give it a 7/10. I am looking forward to the next movie, as I felt this one was kind of a filler episode. Hopefully it will not take as long to make.