Rings of Power: Tolkien's Shambling Skinsuit

Caliane

its complicated. She is probably 8368 years old in LotR.

theres multiple timelines and time scales. and Tolkien contradicted himself once.

Before there was the sun, they measured time differently as well.. "Valian years", which is 9.58 solar years. (or 144 as Tolkien later stated.... which from what understand he changed to "felt like", so back to about 10)

She was born in Year of the trees 1362. which ended 1495. so 133 "valian years", which is either 1274 or 19,152 solar years..
The later ages from here, use solar years.
first age lasted 587 years,
second age 3441
the fellowship meets Galadriel in year 3019 of the third age.

so she was 5349 when the 2nd age ended, and 1908 when it started.

Now... if we use the 144 year version... Add 17,878 years to each of those...

Lots of people like the 20k version as it makes Elves even more alien. but, from what I understand it messes the timeline up a bit.

• 2Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm still hung up on them referring to her as "young" Galadriel. That one thing indisputably demonstrates that they don't understand the source material at all.
its complicated. She is probably 8368 years old in LotR.

theres multiple timelines and time scales. and Tolkien contradicted himself once.

Before there was the sun, they measured time differently as well.. "Valian years", which is 9.58 solar years. (or 144 as Tolkien later stated.... which from what understand he changed to "felt like", so back to about 10)

She was born in Year of the trees 1362. which ended 1495. so 133 "valian years", which is either 1274 or 19,152 solar years..
The later ages from here, use solar years.
first age lasted 587 years,
second age 3441
the fellowship meets Galadriel in year 3019 of the third age.

so she was 5349 when the 2nd age ended, and 1908 when it started.

Now... if we use the 144 year version... Add 17,878 years to each of those...

Lots of people like the 20k version as it makes Elves even more alien. but, from what I understand it messes the timeline up a bit.
200.gif

Okay - 8,368 years old or 20,000 years old - the point still stands that they dont understand the source material by calling her young.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

no. at the beginning of the second age, shes either 1908, or 19786.
at the end of the THIRD age, when the Fellowship arrives in Lothlorien, shes 8368, or 26,264.

there is 6460 years between the start of the Second age, and the end of the Third. (+3 actually, fellowship is 3018, fellowship meets Galadriel in 3019, the third age officially ends 3021)
for referance 6.4k years is still 24.5% of 26k.

Really the question isn't literal age though either. its maturity. like, if Elves acted like teenagers for 2000 years or what not. Pretty sure no. Elves reach maturity very quickly, so would be mature and wizened by like 100. At which point, 200, 2000, 20000 makes no difference. I don't remember any specifics from Tolkien on this. I DO remember the lotronline saying contrary a bit.. haha. That suggested younger new born elves 50-200 years old were downright suicidal, and hadn't learned the agelessness yet. many hating the idea of moving on West.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Found this online describing overall arc:
The show is set during the Second Age and will cover major events from that period including Sauron’s ascension; the forging of the Rings of Power, which the Dark Lord gifted to humans, elves and dwarves and secretly controlled with his master ring (aka the One Ring to Rule Them All); the rise and fall of Númenor, the island of men from which Aragorn is descended; and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, a final stand against Sauron (depicted in the prologue of Peter Jackson’s Fellowship of the Ring).
So looks like they start at emminem and turn into the tin man by the end. I’m looking forward to it, I don’t mind all the SJW people keep whining about as long as it doesn’t become a big part of the plot. It the characters simply look all different but if the the story is good AND they are well written i then IDGAF.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Hoping this doesn’t suck, but the cinematography looks amazing.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
no. at the beginning of the second age, shes either 1908, or 19786.
at the end of the THIRD age, when the Fellowship arrives in Lothlorien, shes 8368, or 26,264.

there is 6460 years between the start of the Second age, and the end of the Third. (+3 actually, fellowship is 3018, fellowship meets Galadriel in 3019, the third age officially ends 3021)
for referance 6.4k years is still 24.5% of 26k.

Really the question isn't literal age though either. its maturity. like, if Elves acted like teenagers for 2000 years or what not. Pretty sure no. Elves reach maturity very quickly, so would be mature and wizened by like 100. At which point, 200, 2000, 20000 makes no difference. I don't remember any specifics from Tolkien on this. I DO remember the lotronline saying contrary a bit.. haha. That suggested younger new born elves 50-200 years old were downright suicidal, and hadn't learned the agelessness yet. many hating the idea of moving on West.
But where did black elves come from? Or how did the royal line of Numenor end up being black?

spronk

FPS noob
dont worry amazon will introduce a new edited version of the original trilogy with black hobbits, dwarves, and a better soundtrack

• 1Like

Furry

BROWN NOW
<Gold Donor>
I want this to be good, but wheel of time took a massive dump on my hopes.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I kinda like the look of Sauron in that teaser, looks like he's going to be a fairly large character and not just an off-screen boogeyman. Still no mention of Morgoth though which is a little disappointing.
Morgoth is in orbit during the Second Age.

If they adapt it properly, Sauron starts a secret Morgoth Cult on Numenor and starts doing Black Masses or some dark shit.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Obviously don’t know the scene but isn’t he supposed to be not so obviously evil at this time ? Tho My middle Earth knowledge must be off , I thought he was masquerading a bit ?
He is fair looking and pretends to be "Annatar" which means giver of gifts, and is supposed to be a good Maiar who wants to help the people of Middle Earth.

He is a shapeshifter and spent the first age as a werewolf who loses rap battles to elf maidens.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like the incel Sauron idea. Maybe a bit of a cliché but it rings true.