Rings of Power: Tolkien's Shambling Skinsuit

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Morgoth is in orbit during the Second Age.

If they adapt it properly, Sauron starts a secret Morgoth Cult on Numenor and starts doing Black Masses or some dark shit.
There's clearly flashbacks in Valinor before the first age when the 2 trees were still alive. If I remember correctly Sauron wasn't even there at the time, he was still in middle earth. If they're going back that far it would be dumb not to show Melkor since he is the most prominent character by far during that time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like the incel Sauron idea. Maybe a bit of a cliché but it rings true.
Tolkien answers the question to his motives to a certain degree. Here's a couple quotes:

"When he found how greatly his knowledge was admired by all other rational creatures and how easy it was to influence them, his pride became boundless. By the end of the Second Age he assumed the position of Morgoth’s representative. By the end of the Third Age (though actually much weaker than before) he claimed to be Morgoth returned."

"Sauron was ‘greater’, effectively, in the Second Age than Morgoth at the end of the First. Why? Because, though he was far smaller by natural stature, he had not yet fallen so low. Eventually he also squandered his power (of being) in the endeavour to gain control of others. But he was not obliged to expend so much of himself. To gain domination over Arda, Morgoth had let most of his being pass into the physical constituents of the Earth... Sauron, however, inherited the ‘corruption’ of Arda, and only spent his (much more limited) power on the Rings; for it was the creatures of earth, in their minds and wills, that he desired to dominate…."

'His pride became boundless' I think is the more accurate description rather than being an incel. He also became as, or more, powerful than Morgoth during the second age for the reason Tolkien said. So he probably viewed himself as the savior of Arda in a twisted way.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
'His pride became boundless' I think is the more accurate description rather than being an incel.
Plenty of people that got a 1600 on their SAT still can't get laid. It can be both!

spronk

FPS noob

and thats why our dwarf queen is black and unbearded, hobbits look like crack addicts, Sauron is Slim Shady and we have Puerto Rican elves, because its timeless

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
He is fair looking and pretends to be "Annatar" which means giver of gifts, and is supposed to be a good Maiar who wants to help the people of Middle Earth.

He is a shapeshifter and spent the first age as a werewolf who loses rap battles to elf maidens.
Ty!!!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone know if there is anything good to read in prep for this ?
Well, I'd advise NOT to read anything, since doing so will only make the show that much worse. If you're deadset on reading though, then read Unfinished Tales and the Silmarillion. They have everything this show will massacre.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Masakari

Which way, western man?
<Gold Donor>
I would take a Richard Simmons Sauron over Incel Eminem anyday.

I wish HBO had taken the reigns for this thing, atleast we'd get some tits out of it.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I think people are overreacting to the sjw/casting shit( Not sure what I expected on FOH) . Like let the first few eps air and if it's full of woke shit then sure, but I don't think it's inherently bad they wanted a diverse cast? Like if the writing is good, the characters are good and it looks great. Who the fuck cares if it's not historically accurate.

I really enjoyed the witcher series and some of the characters were not the same as the books/games but overall it was a good enjoyable show. I am just glad to be getting more stuff like this and cool shows vs More reality TV and garbage. Lets just hope they dont Wheel of time it.

• 2Pathetic
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I think people are overreacting to the sjw/casting shit( Not sure what I expected on FOH) . Like let the first few eps air and if it's full of woke shit then sure, but I don't think it's inherently bad they wanted a diverse cast? Like if the writing is good, the characters are good and it looks great. Who the fuck cares if it's not historically accurate.

I really enjoyed the witcher series and some of the characters were not the same as the books/games but overall it was a good enjoyable show. I am just glad to be getting more stuff like this and cool shows vs More reality TV and garbage. Lets just hope they dont Wheel of time it.
Ok Chris.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Like if the writing is good, the characters are good and it looks great. Who the fuck cares if it's not historically accurate.

Don't come here expecting anything other than a whine fest. I've learned that if you like a show, you're better off not reading the thread here about it.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I don't think it's inherently bad they wanted a diverse cast? Like if the writing is good, the characters are good and it looks great. Who the fuck cares if it's not historically accurate.
It's inherently bad because it tells you they care even less than the films about sticking to the source material, and that they're more concerned with The Message™ than basic biology.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
There are going to be issues with this that have nothing at all to do with diversity but the best thing is if this abortion fails they can just ignore all those issues and just call everyone racist.

Kind of like all of the apologists here before it even comes out.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
There are going to be issues with this that have nothing at all to do with diversity but the best thing is if this abortion fails they can just ignore all those issues and just call everyone racist.

Kind of like all of the apologists here before it even comes out.
So you're saying we shouldn't judge it before it comes out?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So you're saying we shouldn't judge it before it comes out?
You can easily judge shit by what the writers have said and it's quite easy to see how they're blatantly going off the Tolkien reservation.

There are also numerous trailers to pick apart showing a complete lack of care in basic shit like costuming.

So no, I'm not saying that at all.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users