Rocket League - PS4/PC

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Every 4th or 5th game I get someone like that. Now that people can be reported it isn't as bad.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
They have quick emotes that say those sorts of things on the d-pad. Haven't really experienced anything bad in the community except one time, a long time ago in 2v2 mode I'm pretty sure it was a smurf controlling both cars against a friend and I, it was close the entire match until the last minute he scored a couple of goals and then would not shut up about it.

The only problem I have with the community now is there is no penalty for leaving unranked games so if you score a couple of early goals you just have people leaving and joining the rest of the match and while it seems to have gotten better, there is a lag spike every time someone enters the game so its really annoying when you're in a game like that.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've got over 360 hours in this game and it's random on how people act. I will say that as you get higher ranks people are more chill. It's just like League of Legends in that once you get out of bronze/silver everyone just expects you to know what your doing and I guess people just kinda get that you might make mistakes sometimes.

Edit: fyi, just cause i got lots of hours means shit. I'm still ranked pretty low and the skill cap is like almost unlimited in this game.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Game has a massively high skill ceiling. I'm always up for games, I'm rank 10 in 2's and 9 in 3's and still feel like a bad at this game. I'm good for some decent beginner/intermediate tips. Just hit me up on steam. There is definitely penalty for leaving a ranked game you do not reconnect to (15 minutes of punishment timeout). There is player by player text and voice muting if you have a problem with shit talkers just mute them asap. I play a mean goalie and don't mind holding down the backline for newer players want stable teammates.

Ranked is a much more stable environment if you dislike leavers. There is no penalty in all other non-ranked modes. They are drop-in drop-out where AI fill in for missing players. Mainly what occurs is in lopsided games outside of ranked players just leave when they get behind by a few goals or more. Ranked allows for voted forfeits - but it takes 100% team vote and each player can call 1 forfeit vote in the 5 minute match.

Just to elaborate on why the controller. The joystick allows all ranges of turning while keyboard controls allow for only turning at fully or not turning. Also, you should remap or double map the X key(power slide, air rotation) to be either a paddle (steam controller) or to one of the shoulder buttons you are comfortable with. The reason is eventually you will want to be able to apply a combination of X and Boost at the same time both in the ground and the air. Pushing two of the 4 face buttons (X, B by default) is not ideal in this situation given the way they combine. You may as well build this muscle memory now vs later.

Also most players especially in competitive jack the FOV up from 90 to 110 - this is going to give most people some serious fisheye at the start. However, when ball cam is active, on defense especially, the entire width of the field of play is visible at 110 but not at 90. It is a meaningful difference if 110 is playable to you.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh yeah, good point about the fov, I changed mine and liked it, but it was a bit different/took a little to get used to, so may as well get used to it now if you like it.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Good tips thanks! So ball lock on mode seems nice but it really fucks with my timing sometimes, should I just play without it?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Good tips thanks! So ball lock on mode seems nice but it really fucks with my timing sometimes, should I just play without it?
Ball cam is pretty much required to play amazing defense. If you can't see the ball and meet it while driving away from it or with your back to the ball you'll struggle to make all the saves possible. The best answer is that there is a more ideal combination of both. Simple examples are driving for boost or lining up with your goal to have the least possible distance to cover are best done without ball cam. But once you're on the line you want to be then toggle it back to ball cam to see how the game is developing.

Ball cam is not required to hit aerials. However, the standard camera will not allow you to line the up the Ball/Goal/Car visually before contact if the ball is sufficiently high or off center. TLDR: You'll lose accuracy if you can't use ball cam in certain striking situations.

Rocket League, quite simply, fucks with everyone's timing. As you improve, the game will only get faster and require more precision, speed, and verticality. Until you reach the top fractions of percents in rankings, you will always be playing people who are faster and more precise as well.

Rookie Aerial training is really good to learn just how ball cam and not ball cam affects your perception when Aerialing at a stationary hanging ball. I still have never 10/10 the All-star Aerial training (first try) I think 7 or 8 is my best still. Best part about their training modes is that you can rapidly reset shots so you can continually attempt them till you succeed. There is no reason to wonder why you missed or how to contact the ball when you can attempt the exact same trajectory repetitively.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Cool thanks again, and I have no issue with make FOV using nvidia surround
smile.png

zCRZMId.jpg

H7kpEna.jpg

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I learned I am terrible at ranked play heh.
Dude you did great for a first timer.
smile.png
holy shit was I hammered. That was hilarious fun. Remember, trash talk at all times. It gets in their heads and they mess up more
smile.png

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can do beautiful aerials! Still doesn't mean I correctly predicted where the ball was going to be though.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Just wish it was more than 2v2, I usually only play 3v3 so there are 2 other people to make up for me being shit.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Play a lot with friends, always down to play with others though. Hoggfight102 on pc and xbox.