Roguelite Enemy Hell/Bullet Heaven/Survivor catch-all

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So far Rogue Genesia is actually my top for played time, too. Haven't played it for awhile though.

This is another I recommend. Just had some good updates, too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So far Rogue Genesia is actually my top for played time, too. Haven't played it for awhile though.

This is another I recommend. Just had some good updates, too.

I really like Nordic Ashes, was fun even months ago with only 4 characters but haven’t played it much sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So I've never played any of these types of games. What makes them fun/appealing? It's hard to tell how in depth they are from small gameplay clips

• 1WTF

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So I've never played any of these types of games. What makes them fun/appealing? It's hard to tell how in depth they are from small gameplay clips
1. They’re usually cheap
2. Quick runs / matches so not a lot of time investment to make incremental progress
3. Wide variety of art styles, systems, concepts within the genre
4. Due to low financial and time investment it encourages experimenting with builds
5. Low skill cap to insane min/max depending on the game, so theorycrafters can get their fill

They’re kinda popcorn games and a heavily to overly saturated genre, but I don’t think the end of innovation has arrived. Funny that something like Auto Chess took off asymptoticly and every major studio it seemed was cloning them, but this still feels like your $5 a piece pulp indie staple. Old school tower defense comes to mind but that genre feels played out now.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
With meta progression of some sort, usually. It's usually just a quick fix of dopamine hits. Fast progression, huge numbers, screen clearing, different skill combos. ~15-30 minute time commitment for a run.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I figured I'd try Vampire Survivors. Yeah, I can see why people play these. Definitely some dopamine.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Halls of Torment; I’m having a good time with Death Must Die but it feels like I’m missing some progression path. Gains between runs are minimal, equipment doesn’t progress much. To be fair I haven’t cleared it yet but have gotten to end a couple of times. Runs get more efficient as I learn builds and how each class plays. Really just focus on Assassin and Curse at the moment. Seems to get me furthest.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally got into a couple of these. Tried VS when it came out and it wasn’t bad but didn’t really tickle my pickle so haven’t played anything since. Started with Halls of Torment and it’s pretty fun. Was struggling to play it in short bursts though cause the matches are kind of long. Tried Soulstone Survivors and that one is a blast and I appreciate the shorter runs. My son likes it too so that’s cool. Unlocked the last of the current characters yesterday. The skill tree makes it look like there’s going to be twice as many when they’re done, will be fun unlocking those eventually.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of Halls of Torment; I’m having a good time with Death Must Die but it feels like I’m missing some progression path. Gains between runs are minimal, equipment doesn’t progress much. To be fair I haven’t cleared it yet but have gotten to end a couple of times. Runs get more efficient as I learn builds and how each class plays. Really just focus on Assassin and Curse at the moment. Seems to get me furthest.

That's pretty much all DmD has to offer right now. They recently released a road map and are looking to release the next area and tier 2 equipment and another god.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I tried out some more of these recently: Nordic Ashes, Elemental Survivors, and Keeper's Toll.

Nordic Ashes seems pretty good so far, its the most recent so I'm not too deep into it. I feel like I'm a little too dependent on the special ability though. I did manage to unlock more characters, but the treants in the 2nd stage are kinda bullshit sometimes because when the screen gets crowded I can't always see their attacks.

Elemental Survivors is a slow crawl. I felt like I was pretty starved for level growth a lot and seriously struggling until I managed to make more of a break through. Getting the extra party members has helped out.

Keeper's Toll has been fun and I put more of a dent in it than the other two. It plays well and I felt like the game was at least trying to give me a chance to grow early on. The boss fights are really cool.

During the Bullet Heaven sale I also managed to pick up Star Survivor, Lizard Survivors, Bio Prototype, Wanted Shadows, Chickado, and Swarmcade....but I haven't tried them out yet.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I tried some more of these...

Lizard Survivors - I actually tried this and it was alright, the voiceovers of course made no sense to me since I don't understand Russian. I did realize that apparently you can't permanently upgrade anything? So you each run is just as bare bones as the rest.

Wanted Shadows - not bad, pretty simple for a game that only costs like $1.50. There's no real upgrade system in-between rounds, you just unlock more characters and which benefit you want to use.

Soul Stalker - made by the same developer was Wanted Shadows and it shows - the game is a bigger version of that. More variety of protagonists, more benefits, etc. It also has some boss battles and a very minor map run like Rogue Genesia. They're still working on this one, though.

Monsters Til' Midnight - This one's alright, it has a permanent upgrading system, but I feel like it gets too overcrowded really early versus how powerful you can get. You can collect coins to buy permanent upgrades in-between runs, but the progression feels so slow.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I just can't get into Death Must Die. I'm not sure what I'm missing but I don't like having to rely on dodge by default with slow movement speed. I really don't understand what the item thing is other than maybe they're transferrable to other chars or something later? I also haven't unlocked any meta progression or whatever.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just can't get into Death Must Die. I'm not sure what I'm missing but I don't like having to rely on dodge by default with slow movement speed. I really don't understand what the item thing is other than maybe they're transferrable to other chars or something later? I also haven't unlocked any meta progression or whatever.

There's a couple god abilities that increase move speed from lightning/time god. Also movespeed on boots. Items and character traits are the only meta progression so far and there's a stash if you didn't see it to share amongst all the characters.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It took me a long time as well but I’m ready enjoying it now. It feels closer to Hades (purposefully as much of the game feels budget Hades) in that selecting the correct God powers and synergies are primarily important. Which goes in to loot and the Diablo-esque random drops. Prioritizing +Alteration, Reroll, and Banish is really important to getting a good start and snowballing. Then getting +Master rolls and +Legend rolls, etc.

Once I got a good feel down for things I was able to do regular clears with almost each character and pump up difficulty for better loot drops. There’s not a whole lot of meta progression, something I also felt was missing in an earlier post. But it is fun so looking forward to updates and what systems they do add.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I gave DMD another try this week. It's growing on me. Unfortunate that there's so little content at this point. I do think a bigger budget (AA) game that is somewhere between DMD and HoT that is multiplayer focused would be great. I like the gameplay loop of meaningful progression tied to a bit more dynamic core gameplay on runs rather than the super basic VS loop.

Though at some point the line between modern seasonal ARPG and whatever I would want as an extension of those games gets pretty fuzzy and it's really just a more interesting individual gameplay session with roughly similar overall/meta progression.

• 1Like