Ryan Lochte scandal megathread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You'd have a hard time winning that case as you created an extremely sympathetic victim out of the perpetrator. Yeah, maybe I did knock over a soap dispenser. Then he pulled a gun on me and asked for money.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Are you even serious right now? I just posted the standards for a citizen's arrest in Brazil. You are allowed to detain someone, but you have to call the cops and wait for the cops to arrive. When you draw a gun on someone and demand money without ever calling the cops, you're committing armed robbery.

Link the Brazilian definition of armed robbery, before you want to use the American definition. Maybe it states that the victim may not be committing a crime as well in the process. You know minor details like that.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Cad Cad , lawyer check, please reply to if it is illegal to held someone in a citizens arrest, over vandalism. If I answer him, he will not believe me.

It will be hard to explain in court that you shot them in the process on making the arrest. But using the gun to intimidate them in the process of making the citizens arrest, totes cool.

It depends state to state but generally only felonies or those crimes endangering the life of other citizens. Vandalism isn't a felony in any jurisdiction I'm aware of, so no.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You know the security guard was not the police right.

Brazil is a very corrupt country. This wasn't corruption, it was the stupidity of the Lochte crew..

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It depends state to state but generally only felonies or those crimes endangering the life of other citizens. Vandalism isn't a felony in any jurisdiction I'm aware of, so no.

At least try to be impartial.

"Most states have codified the common law rule that a warrantless arrest may be made by a private person for a felony, misdemeanor or "breach of peace".[55] A breach of peace covers a multitude of violations in which the Supreme Court has even included a misdemeanor seatbelt violation punishable only by a fine. The term historically included theft, "nightwalking", prostitution and playing card and dice games.[56]"

If something as little as a seatbelt can be grounds for a citizen's arrest, I'm safe in saying that petty vandalism is covered.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Link the Brazilian definition of armed robbery, before you want to use the American definition. Maybe it states that the victim may not be committing a crime as well in the process. You know minor details like that.

I already quoted a Brazilian judge explaining how it was robbery, or at least could be interpreted as such. Maybe you should take the time to read posts.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
At least try to be impartial.

"Most states have codified the common law rule that a warrantless arrest may be made by a private person for a felony, misdemeanor or "breach of peace".[55] A breach of peace covers a multitude of violations in which the Supreme Court has even included a misdemeanor seatbelt violation punishable only by a fine. The term historically included theft, "nightwalking", prostitution and playing card and dice games.[56]"

If something as little as a seatbelt can be grounds for a citizen's arrest, I'm safe in saying that petty vandalism is covered.

Citizens Arrest Laws by State - The Solutions Institute

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
8 out 50 has it listed as felony required.
I guess that at best is a mixed bag, some states do and some states don't.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER BECAUSE A CITIZEN'S ARREST IS ONLY A DETENTION UNTIL THE ACTUAL POLICE ARRIVE. THE MOMENT YOU TAKE MONEY AT GUNPOINT FROM SOMEONE YOU HAVE DETAINED YOU ARE COMMITTING ARMED ROBBERY.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER BECAUSE A CITIZEN'S ARREST IS ONLY A DETENTION UNTIL THE ACTUAL POLICE ARRIVE. THE MOMENT YOU TAKE MONEY AT GUNPOINT FROM SOMEONE YOU HAVE DETAINED YOU ARE COMMITTING ARMED ROBBERY.

Lendarios will always defend mexicans or southern mexicans against gringos.. no matter how stupid it makes him look. Done with this, really.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nah dude, you were just getting a finder's fee for arresting these heinous criminals.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Citizens arrest with an exit clause.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Damn I was robbed. I just realized.

10 years ago I rear ended this car. I didn' see him after making a right turn, The guy gets out and says, $100 or I'm calling the cops and report it. I gave him the money.

Damn. I should have called the cops. I was robbed I tell you, robbed.

I was blind all these years.

100% true story.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The same as Ryan Lochte armed robbery story.

Despite a Brazilian eyewitness confirming it happened. I mean that's what's important to a racist like you right? Now that I've made it crystal clear that a Brazilian also said it happened, will you suddenly start believing it?

• 1Solidarity

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Matt Lauer: “You told me on the phone, Ryan, you said, ‘We are victims here. We are victims. And we’re happy that we’re safe.’ In the police press conference, they said, ‘Not victims. They’re vandals.’ How do you feel about that?”

Ryan Lochte: “It’s how you want to – it’s how you want to make look like. Whether you call it a robbery, whether you call it extortion, or us paying just for the damages, like we don’t know. All we know is that there was a gun pointed in our direction, and we were demanded to give money.”

Matt Lauer: “And that’s a really interesting point. I want to take a little time on this. If I were to ask you the same question again right now and say, ‘Were you robbed on Sunday morning in Rio?’ how would you answer it?”

Ryan Lochte:I can’t answer that, because I don’t know if – I was intoxicated. So I don’t know. All I know is that there was a gun pointed at us, and we were demanded to give money. Whether it was to pay for the damages of the poster, whether it was extortion, or whether it was a robbery, like, I can’t – I’m not equipped to…”

Matt Lauer: “Except I want to point out that Gunner in his statement to police said at some point, someone who spoke English walked over and offered to help translate this altercation. And he made it clear that the security guard was telling the four of you, ‘You need to pay for that stuff, that damage before you can leave here, or I’m going to call the police.’ You understood that at that time, didn’t you?”

Ryan Lochte: “Yeah. So then we had to give the money.”

Matt Lauer: “Right. But at that point, it’s not a robbery. At that point, you’re striking a deal. You’re striking a deal to pay for what damage you’ve caused so that he doesn’t call the police and this doesn’t become a bigger incident. Isn’t that– isn’t that fair?”

Ryan Lochte: “We just wanted to get out of there. We were held – I mean, there was as gun pointed in our direction. We were all frightened. And we wanted to get out of there as quick as possible. And the only way we knew is this guy saying, ‘You have to give him money.’ So we gave him money, and we got out.”

Matt Lauer: “That doesn’t sound like a robbery. A robbery is when some guy targets you, whether he’s armed or not, to take your money, and your belongings, and your valuables. This guy was negotiating a deal because of what had happened in that walkway. And you guys were on the other end of that negotiation.”

Ryan Lochte: “And that’s why it could be – people can see it in many different directions. All we know is that there was a gun pointed to us and we were demanded to give him money. And end of story.”

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
"All we know is that there was a gun pointed to us and we were demanded to give him money."

Ok, sooooooo...armed robbery.

• 1Like