Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Guys I've read on this board that the practice of medicine involves less science than the study of social sciences.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Not disagreeing with you, but if they're faculty at a university they need to at least keep publishing research to keep their jobs.
Professors who teach neurology, physiology and medical courses (any biology based science) in undergrad and medical school do not? And lets not fucking act like social sciences is chalk full of shit adjunct professors at most universities.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Sociology is by definition a scientific study. Just because people do cultural criticism and then mislabel themselves social scientists doesn't actually mean they're social scientists.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Sociology is by definition a scientific study. Just because people do cultural criticism and then mislabel themselves social scientists doesn't actually mean they're social scientists.
How is it more scientific than biological sciences which translate into medicine Mist? How is your precious sociology not fucking worthless?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How is it more scientific than biological sciences which translate into medicine Mist? How is your precious sociology not fucking worthless?
Not really a big fan of sociology in particular. Historically it's mostly just thinly veiled racism, and currently it's pretty useless. Political science is a fucking joke.

But I don't find medicine to be very scientific.

Caliane

are you guys still arguing that practitioners and researchers are the same thing?

The term "scientist" is not exactly an absolute term. "anyone that uses the scientific method" Well great, that's not that useful is it? In a more practical sense, it would be someone that uses the scientific method, to do research as their job, or perhaps a primary hobby.
A practitioner doesn't really do that. (you might argue they do, during diagnosis..)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
are you guys still arguing that practitioners and researchers are the same thing?

The term "scientist" is not exactly an absolute term. "anyone that uses the scientific method" Well great, that's not that useful is it? In a more practical sense, it would be someone that uses the scientific method, to do research as their job, or perhaps a primary hobby.
A practitioner doesn't really do that. (you might argue they do, during diagnosis..)
No one was ever arguing that. Mist seems to not know that doctors do conduct research, professors of subjects pertaining to the medical field (genetics, immunology, neurobiology, cell biology, etc) conduct research, and medicine isn't less "scientific" than social sciences.

She is too fucking stupid to realize that doctors do need to know about physiology, molecular biology, chemistry and other fields to properly perform their job. She thinks they base every decision based solely on what they did with their last patient, instead of formulate a plan based on their knowledge and diagnostic data of a patient.

Fuck, she even said pharmacological research was less "scientific" and played it down to guess work.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Those are authors. While they have contributed to science, their main contributions are being good at authoring things.

*Real* science is mostly a bunch of legwork and writing done by grad students while other people take the credit.

Also, medicine is even less scientific than social sciences are. Medicine is mostly a collection of best practices handed down from one doctor to the next. Only very recently has medicine started to be informed by science and even then they get it wrong a lot.
Do you actually believe this nonsense or are you just trolling?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No one was ever arguing that. Mist seems to not know that doctors do conduct research, professors of subjects pertaining to the medical field (genetics, immunology, neurobiology, cell biology, etc) conduct research, and medicine isn't less "scientific" than social sciences.

She is too fucking stupid to realize that doctors do need to know about physiology, molecular biology, chemistry and other fields to properly perform their job. She thinks they base every decision based solely on what they did with their last patient, instead of formulate a plan based on their knowledge and diagnostic data of a patient.

Fuck, she even said pharmacological research was less "scientific" and played it down to guess work.
I think you guys are missing her point. Really, how many doctors do legitimate research science? Hell, how many even use the research day to day out of the thousands and thousands of them? There are plenty of scientist MD but not having any data handy, I'd have to struggle to think of a single one I've ever known that legitimately was involved in experimental studies. In fact I knew one that published fairly frequently about pediatrics as I recall, but I read those articles in the waiting room out of morbid curiosity and they weren't scientific at all, just "in my experience" type things with consensus gained from just treating a ton of kids with the same diseases/disorders over the years.

I mean, there are plenty of scientists in the medical field but outside of carefully controlled drug tests we generally frown upon medial experimentation of living humans so I'm not sure there's a ton of practicing doctors in that mix... and I do draw a distinction between using new scientific consensus and actually participating in its creation. It's not a slight, but at some point isn't everyone who's not a religious nut a "scientist" as long as they read stuff occasionally that cites scientists? I guess I'd say practitioner vs research doctor is like engineer vs scientist. User vs creator. They're not inseparable but certainly have a different focus. There's the whole legal angle of practicing science in humans with treatment. Doctor House isn't exactly the norm.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do you actually believe this nonsense or are you just trolling?
It comes from research a potential business partner (a biomedical engineer, a jewish phd with a penis if you guys need credentials) and I did.

Out of the practicing doctors we surveyed, almost none reported using scientific methods or current research in their practice. Those few that did expressed frustration that their peers did not.

I did not say that "no doctors do research." But the field of medical researchers and the field of doctors who actually practice medicine every day has a wide gulf.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It comes from research a potential business partner (a biomedical engineer, a jewish phd with a penis if you guys need credentials) and I did.

Out of the practicing doctors we surveyed, almost none reported using scientific methods or current research in their practice. Those few that did expressed frustration that their peers did not.

I did not say that "no doctors do research." But the field of medical researchers and the field of doctors who actually practice medicine every day has a wide gulf.
And? How does that change the fact that medical researchers and public health officials do some of the best sociological research there is? That was the entire point of my post, that you have to go outside of sociology into other fields to find decent sociological research. You are just spouting tangential nonsense that isn't applicable to what I said.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All you did was pick out 6 arbitrary names, one of which is a psychologist.

Sociology is bullshit to begin with, but sociology is just one of the social sciences. The best sociology is typically done by economists, but that's also another social science.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

How large was the survey population? What range of specialties did you survey? How is pharmacology not as "scientific" as you stated?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wasn't talking about pharmacology, pharmacology requires scientific tests mandated by the FDA.

I'm talking about how doctors use pharmacology. Most doctors use drugs based on what the drug reps told them about the drug and how many lunches and golf trips they got paid for.

Very few practicing doctors could tell you much about the science of how any given drug actually works. Psychiatrists are the fucking worst. They are constantly proscribing medications without thinking of interactions with other symptoms they know are present (alcoholism for instance) or other drugs the patient is likely to be acquiring either from other doctors or the street.