Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
A very well thought out refutation of what I wrote.

This is incorrect. Not everything is the result of natural selection in the evolutionary process; there is sexual selection, exaptation, genetic drift, and plenty more. And like I said, the archaeological evidence points to a sudden shift in human cognition and not a gradual change. I cited the work of Ian Tattersall who is one of the most well known paleontologists in the field. And many evolutionary biologists have argued there is much more going on in the evolutionary process than natural selection, like Stephen Jay Gould.

If you actually read about it instead of pontificating you'll find that our sensory-motor system has pretty much been the same for hundreds of thousands of years. Which means the problem of externalization had already been solved before the language faculty first appeared. In fact, speaking isn't even necessary, any sensory modality seems to work except maybe smell. Touch and sign use the same linguistic abilities as speech; in fact in sign can you use many things in parallel where speech has to use linear order.

No, sexual selection, genetic drift, are all part of natural selection, on the individual level and on the genetic level. Speech through sound is far more effective on animal levels for everyday life. Touch requires proximity, sign requires a clear view of the speaker, whereas sound can travel around corners. Dawkins has quite eloquently shown the errors of Stephen Jay Gould. As far as I know, Gould is hardly revered at the same level as Dawkins among evolutionary biologists.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Still very much speculation.
Language is a tool, very useful for our species survival.
Like any useful tool once its use emerged it spread throughout the human population rapidly as it gave clear advantages to those that used it.
Just look at any significant technological development, from wheel to transistor to microchip once invented it spreads almost exponentially given the advantages it provides.
There is no evidence the language development hinges on a single mutation but once widespread it would have definitely had significant role in our further development.

Until geneticist one day figure out the genome and pinpoint to the bits responsible for language everything is speculation.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep Noam Chomsky isn't a neurobiologist or even a fucking scientist

Bob Berwick is a cognitive scientist. Chomsky formulated the Merge operation and simply cites the work of Tattersall and others.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
bought a crystal radio kit (1N34A germanium diode) and I don't think I have any ground in my apartment.. not messing with the wall outlets haha. the kit also didn't come with an antenna.

Metal pipes? Not if you're going to do 120v obv but if you just need something for antenna

• 1Salty

Elminage

N00b
Metal pipes? Not if you're going to do 120v obv but if you just need something for antenna

the pipes are all in the wall. it's a "modern" apartment, I could be totally ignorant but I just don't think there's any ground available besides perhaps in the mains. I've since given up on this project since it requires a big antenna as well.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I'm missing something in this discussion. We have determined that Neanderthals had language and the same generic markers for it as us. How is it we are putting such a limited window on language development, especially since we interbred.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Plant_cell_structure-en.svg

We have butted heads Pharm, but plant biology is key to sooooo many things. Well played, you beat me to it.

Lunis, the key is biology. Listen to me now and hear me later. It's all about biology.

Cells will divide however they can. Many of them divide into hexagons. Some round. Some square. Some oblong. Some like neurons, will be like strings.

Be careful you don't talk about biology too much when you are a person of faith.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm missing something in this discussion. We have determined that Neanderthals had language and the same generic markers for it as us. How is it we are putting such a limited window on language development, especially since we interbred.

I mean, even my cat has different meows depending on what it wants.

And it can mimick some aspects of human speech. If I whisper to it, it "whispers" back to me (or as close to whispering as a cat can get).

And there's a lot of evidence that birds in the corvidae family (ravens, crows, magpies, etc) are able to communicate vocally with each other in some fairly abstract ways.

Language goes back a lot further than modern man admits.

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean, even my cat has different meows depending on what it wants.

And it can mimick some aspects of human speech. If I whisper to it, it "whispers" back to me (or as close to whispering as a cat can get).

And there's a lot of evidence that birds in the corvidae family (ravens, crows, magpies, etc) are able to communicate vocally with each other in some fairly abstract ways.

Language goes back a lot further than modern man admits.

All you have to do is have interaction with a bird.

My uncle has a parrot. It makes sounds that have certain meanings. When it wants food it makes one sound. When it wants to look out this window it makes a different sound. When it wants to look out the other window, another sound. It knows english words too.. but it has assigned personal meaning to those.

That's the definition of language. It is using sound to communicate particular wants, needs, and ideas.

Cats have language too. The thing about their language is that it is entirely personal. There's been studies on that, maybe on was linked in this thread too. Cats don't have a communal language... even the pack ones. They have a collection of personal limited languages. There is no regimentation of sound. If you're cat A you just have to learn what that sound that cat B is making means to cat B, and it may mean something different when you do it as cat A. Birds in the wild aren't like that. The parrot is a bad example of it, raised in captivity without other parrots. In the wild though they do have communal calls that mean specific (if nebulous to human thinking) things.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I always just assumed it's because the laces are woven to be smooth instead of jaggy.

Hey, science is an incremental process. This might be the key to M theory.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If you consider the fact that the possible positions in which shoe laces remain tied are finite while the position where they are untied are infinite, its not a huge surprise that they come undone overtime even with tiniest perturbations.

Also that tweet above about psych should be enough grounds to burn down social science departments. What a bunch of useless trash. And also RIP my respect for Daniel Kahneman. Amos Tversky must be turning in his fucking grave.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
article says its the motion of the laces swinging that causes them to come untied. doesn't offer the obvious solution of tucking the laces into your shoe.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Am I the only one that double knots shoe laces? Not once have I had shoe laces come undone from that.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users