Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Fossas are the only animal with a double knot. Just wanted to let you know while it's relevant.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Is this real? Are there adults who dont know how to tie their shoes securely? When we taught my kid show to tie their shoes we didnt give the knot a special name "here son, let me teach you the Double Knot", its just called "how to tie your shoes".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Is this real? Are there adults who dont know how to tie their shoes securely? When we taught my kid show to tie their shoes we didnt give the knot a special name "here son, let me teach you the Double Knot", its just called "how to tie your shoes".
Well that whole 90's velcro fad ruined some people for life!

• 1Like

nu_11

Just taught my nephew how to tie his shoes. Kid start to cry when I grilled him beforehand, because he was too scared to tell me he didn't know how. I told him to stop crying, then taught him how to tie his shoes properly. I didn't bullshit him and clarify this as the "double knot" method though. As far as he knows it's the only method. Took about 15 min max.

Surprise tested him like a week later. He passed. Sounds like he's already ahead of some fools on FOH.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
My shoes have never once come untied and I don't use double knots, so perhaps it's you guys who don't know how to actually tie shoelaces securely?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never understood why some shoe laces are terrible and untie themselves and some merge into an impenetrable object by the time I untie them at night.

I need a cohesion ranking of shoelaces.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I only skimmed it, but it looks like he's talking about transhumanism. Well, the very first practical steps of it.

That shit gets both really wonderful and really creepy really really fast.

"medical miracles" is not an understatement.

I'm not even against it. Not at all, I'm for it. The individual applications -- miraculous. The social implications? Fucking terrifying, for real.

But you know, being scared isn't in itself the best reason to not do something.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, me either.

But at the same time I appreciate his dedication to a more in depth exploration of the topic. You can't just say, "Elon Musk wants to toss microchips into peoples BRAINS" without making him sound like a fucking monster. And... even though he basically does... it is legitimately more complex than that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I forgot how... sepia... deus ex was
FVoVTZhrTbyKvFLF2WFf3B.jpg

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giving Tilly a Hand: Tilly Lockey, double amputee, tests a pioneering bionic hand to help other children overcome disabilities - Womanthology
Gaming companies doing innovative research to create game-inspired tech from near-future sci fi is an amazing idea.

While that tech is amazing for the disabled, it is nothing at all what Musk's Neuralink is trying to do. Stuff like that is using tiny muscle movements as inputs to control the bionics. Often times, you are using muscles normally attributed to doing something else to control a dissimilar movement. (ie: forearm flex to close a hand, etc) Hawking does the same using a sensor on his cheek muscle to type on his voice machine.

In an ideal situation, Neruralink would use the brain's motor cortex to control the bionics. Just like you have to "tell yourself" (voluntary movement) to open your hand or make a fist, Nerualink would use that brain activity to control the bionics.

Shit has a long way to go, but it is fascinating.

• 1Like