Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Would discovery that all humans can be traced back to few thousand humans in Africa that migrated and settled all over this planet count?
Maybe you want something more esoteric like when we discovered that all religious texts were man made made up BS and that we need to find "Actual" answers to life's mysteries was a great thing for scientific discovery.
The second bit is pretty good.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
The second bit is pretty good.
Yea there is not much out there that would be considered forgotten knowledge that was rediscovered and provided a tangible boost to our sciences.
We made some very big leaps in our understanding of the universe that anything from even a couple of 100 years ago is obsolete.
The more important discoveries were not forgotten, they were incorporated into our understanding with only slight modification over the years needed.
We did not have any events that led to massive or global loss of knowledge in centuries. Thankfully.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Soon with advanced genetics we'll be able to breed sapien / neanderthal hybrids for higher intelligence / strength caps?
Not a good idea. For 20 thousand years, we progressed agriculture by making hybrids and doing heavy selection afterward. In the last 20 years, genetic engineering allowed us to make more progress in term of seeds than the 20k previous years.

Making neanderthal-human hybrids when you can simply insert whatever genes you want and not worry about the rest? Stupid idea.

(besides, we did that 20k years ago, and we've barely finished purging the deleterious genetic load that interfered between those two cousin species. Let's not do it again, shall we?)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Not a good idea. For 20 thousand years, we progressed agriculture by making hybrids and doing heavy selection afterward. In the last 20 years, genetic engineering allowed us to make more progress in term of seeds than the 20k previous years.

Making neanderthal-human hybrids when you can simply insert whatever genes you want and not worry about the rest? Stupid idea.

(besides, we did that 20k years ago, and we've barely finished purging the deleterious genetic load that interfered between those two cousin species. Let's not do it again, shall we?)

Fair enough, but back to tuco's question, does having access to neanderthals increase our 'good gene' options to add? If so, that would be an example for him.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Some recent studies about the Tibetan's seem to suggest that they have some very specific high altitude gene benefits that the rest of the planet doesn't have. I know at least one of these genes is suggested to be Denisovan in origin, our Asian Neanderthal species.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Why would we even need genes from other species? Give me AI capable of bioinformatics and in silico design of novel genes for use in enhancement gene therapy.

• 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Why would we even need genes from other species? Give me AI capable of bioinformatics and in silico design of novel genes for use in enhancement gene therapy.
We still dont' have the base of a general theory of protein expression. Heck, even with a protein formula, we still don't have a general way to figure out how it folds and potentially expresses its effects (which is why you still have those folding@home distributed stuff).

Not going to happen for a couple generations. If not a century.

(unless, of course, we get transcendent AI explosion first, and then genetic tinkering will be the least of our preoccupations)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Huh? There is a base theory of protein expression. I'll give you we are a long way from understanding folding, though I think it's more if a 3-4 decade problem than century. The more we understand about how various amino acis chains are folded as a result of interactions with chaperones and other proteins as they are synthesized, the faster we will be able to predict.

Also, I can see synthetic genes have protein products with functiional regions and structure that are more agnostic to folding based on the above and more on just chemical/physics based properties of the aas themselves.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Huh? There is a base theory of protein expression. I'll give you we are a long way from understanding folding, though I think it's more if a 3-4 decade problem than century. The more we understand about how various amino acis chains are folded as a result of interactions with chaperones and other proteins as they are synthesized, the faster we will be able to predict.

Also, I can see synthetic genes have protein products with functiional regions and structure that are more agnostic to folding based on the above and more on just chemical/physics based properties of the aas themselves.

Hey, hey HEY

Knock it off and drink your Neanderthal blood to become a true Vampyr

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Bill Nye schools people.

Maybe abandoning atheism and going back to being a Catholic is not such a bad thing after all... I mean all i have to do is do a confession and eat a cracker and i will be golden again.

• 1Like