Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
But it does not fundamentally change the concept of self. The dude from 1917 has an analogue through which he can understand and relate to it.
The dude can possibly understand what you're doing, but he wouldn't be able to understand why you're doing it. Merely one century of cultural evolution completely changes what most of society's interested in.

There's been a couple of "what if", and the most probable reaction: "you have access to all of the world's knowledge instantly, and you're using it for PICTURES OF CATS?!? WHY?!? U STOOPID?".

That's why when people think "we're all heading into VR simulations", I'm highly skeptical. Because that's imagining what we would do. Just like 1900's newspapers were showing the future as 1900's people doing the same thing as 1900's people, except with flying bicycles.

And they (because that's not us old geezers, that's going to be our grandkids) won't be doing that. They're going to have their future equivalent of swapping cat video memes, which will be completely incomprehensible to us.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pretty interesting. Isn't it possible for there to have been multiple migrations that failed until one actually survived? They might ahve just got real fucking lucky finding a very early site that was preserved and those humans actually died out before they could build up any sort of civilization.

Yep. What I was thinking.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
There were multiple migrations for sure. That's one of the reasons the river people in the extreme south of argentina are so different from the others, they're one of the holdover populations from an earlier wave most likely.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
is the bering land bridge used for multiple migration theory?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Was just coming to post this. Pretty big deal really. This is the type of shit that should be breaking news and all over social media.

Here's the reddit thread with lots of interesting talk if anyone wants further reading

Paleontologists have dug up a 130,000-year-old mastodon skeleton that looks like it was butchered by humans. But they found it in America, where people were not supposed to have arrived for another 100,000 years. Findings could upend our understanding of human history. • r/science

bonus point for reddit - pretty fucking funny comment:

So is it possible that what we call Native Americans could've came to America, spread disease killing the more primitive humans, and settled down?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Reminds me a bit about what I read on this site a while back. Perhaps it's time for archaeologists to revisit it?

It also reminds me of some interesting research that has been done on certain plants and animals that are indigenous to either Europe/Asia or the Americas, but have been growing on the other side of the ocean for millennia and are thought to be indicative to early human crossings. Same is true for some fringe research on the cataclysms that occurred during the end of the last Ice Age (about 10,000 years ago) that wiped out most of the large mammals in North America and some claim also wiped out early human settlements.

I've always had the feeling that humans might have spread further and more rapidly than orthodox science/history maintain. I'm not talking about stuff like advanced civilisations with regular oceanic trade 10,000 years ago or shit like that, but more like hardy adventurers braving the seas on a few boats once in a while, sometimes settling down but dying out after a few generations (leaving some artefacts that may be found as in the case of the 130,000 year old mastadon case), but sometimes surviving and later integrating with the "native Americans" that came along later. Similar to how the Polynesians colonised the Pacific Islands what 1-2 thousand years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Generally I think that "prehistory" is mostly a fable to begin with.

The migration patterns don't make a lot of sense to me. But if you assume that it all started with a single population in the rift valley (and I do recognize there is good evidence for THAT) then they're at least plausible.

I really do think we're missing something. Not something big, either. Just a small wiggle that rebalances the entire thing.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The migration patterns don't make a lot of sense to me. But if you assume that it all started with a single population in the rift valley (and I do recognize there is good evidence for THAT) then they're at least plausible.

I really do think we're missing something. Not something big, either. Just a small wiggle that rebalances the entire thing.
There's been older migrations. The only migrations that fully matters is the recent waves of modern humans, starting 70-50ky ago from east Africa. At that point, Africa already had various populations all over; western Africans appear to have little to no contribution to Eurasian ancestry.

But when those Homo Sapiens went out there, they met cousin species. The Homo Neanderthalensis of Europe had been there for 200ky; ditto the Asian Homo Denisova.

A 130ky old Homo presence in america is certainly possible, but it will be a third Homo cousin branch, distinct from Sapiens. And unlike their cousins, it appears to have left no genetic trace in the american "native" ancestry. My guess, if the fossil is confirmed, is that it is probably an older split from the Homo tree, and they were no longer interfertile with the Sapiens when they arrived (that, or some ecological catastrophe killed them well before the newer vagues came).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

I have come to the conclusion that Politics and/or Religion is the Great Filter. Watching Science getting politicized and Religion denouncing it (for the most part), I think it will be one or the other or both combined that will be our downfall. Is there a way a species of intelligent creatures could build an operational society with either of those?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Brad2770

Was just coming to post this. Pretty big deal really. This is the type of shit that should be breaking news and all over social media.

Here's the reddit thread with lots of interesting talk if anyone wants further reading

Paleontologists have dug up a 130,000-year-old mastodon skeleton that looks like it was butchered by humans. But they found it in America, where people were not supposed to have arrived for another 100,000 years. Findings could upend our understanding of human history. • r/science

I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago that had to do with deer. Within this podcast, they were talking about some of the prehistoric deer bones and antlers that had scars on them similar to that of hacking or chopping damage possibly from humanoids, but there was no other evidence that any sort of prehistoric humans hunting them. I forgot what the theories were (I listen during work, so I might have been busy as that part was playing on), but maybe something similar to that?

If I know that rodents eat deer antlers and all sorts of bone for calcium and protein. Old rodent damage? I'm sure they would have thought of that and ruled it out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

It's not breaking news because it doesn't really matter and it's just pretend-scientists playing with rocks and dirt. hodj hodj What's the greatest advancement to civilization that has come from a prehistory discovery?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fuck, I was loose with my verbiage and now Kiroy got one up on me.

What's the greatest advancement to civilization that has come from modern society discovering something about a prehistory society?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What's the greatest advancement to civilization that has come from modern society discovering something about a prehistory society?

Soon with advanced genetics we'll be able to breed sapien / neanderthal hybrids for higher intelligence / strength caps?

Best I got.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Fuck, I was loose with my verbiage and now Kiroy got one up on me.

Would discovery that all humans can be traced back to few thousand humans in Africa that migrated and settled all over this planet count?
Maybe you want something more esoteric like when we discovered that all religious texts were man made made up BS and that we need to find "Actual" answers to life's mysteries was a great thing for scientific discovery.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Stop hotlinking me stupid shit in posts I don't care about please.

And the answer is the rudiments of science and rational inquiry.