Shadowrun Returns

I'm a backer but didn't get the expansion Steam Key yet. Emailed customer support.
frown.png

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Same. Is it a yay or nay on the expansion?

I enjoyed the oc. Is the xpac an improvement? How open is the world?

Numbers_sl

shitlord
The world is open in the sense that you can talk to whomever you like in a given area before you proceed on whatever quest you are on as far as I can tell. I have reached the main starting city after an opening mission sequence so beyond that I'm not sure. However, it looks as if you can't move at will among various playable areas though (e.g. I can't go back the the opening mansion on a whim).

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I am enjoying it a lot so far; I'm about 6 hours into it. There's a good bit more gear this go and you can choose which runs you do when for the most part. I've been sticking to my usual max out plan of: do all side quests, then back to the main questline after each run/update.

Cash and karma don't spill out of my ears, so I'd say it's balanced pretty well.

Lots of story bits scattered everywhere too if that's your thing.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone messed with the modding/building aspect of the game? Can youbuildan open world SR campaign? Is the toolset difficult to work with?

Budos

Has anyone messed with the modding/building aspect of the game? Can youbuildan open world SR campaign? Is the toolset difficult to work with?
Yes, though not since the original game came out.

Yes. The tricky part with making an open world campaign is the tracking/updating of goals. You basically have to add all of the potential plot portions that the player could have done up until that point, to avoid issues with them restarting. This is especially true with the 'hub' areas that players will frequent. That's where the plot updates/tracking is most needed.

Kind of, you have to set the variables/conditions from scratch. The tools are pretty streamlined for what you're doing (making SR stuff), but like the game itself, a couple things could have definitely been cleaned up (i.e.: wall & object placing).

I would start by making lots of little on-rails style quests, then once you have a few, make a couple hub maps where they will link.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for the info. So if I build a big, open, gaming campaign will they host it so other players can log into the world and play or do the players download my campaign like a module. Sorry for the ignorance- I have yet to even buy the game.

Budos

You can upload it to the Steam Work-Shop and people can play it from there. There is no multi-player

Lusiphur

Peasant
I have been playing Dragonfall a bit today. It is not open world, which I don't have a problem with but some might. It's a big step up in quality from Dead Man's Switch and having a reasonable save system is a big improvement too. Far more interesting plot and party interactions.
Class balance wise I am still not seeing any reason to play anything but Street Samurai with a rifle (since the Kneecapper nerf anyways). Mages can't dps for shit (buffbot only), Shaman I fail to see the point of, melee in a game where almost everything attacks at range has obvious flaws and Rigger/Decker you can just hire.
Still, I am having fun and that is all that matters.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Just finished the expansion. Took me 15-18ish hours to beat but I'm no speed runner, I like to stop and click on everything. Quite happy with it overall.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Just finished it. Took about 15 hours but I did click through some sections faster than I should have. It borrows heavily from Baldur's Gate II (no bad thing) and offered far more optional paths to complete objectives than the original campaign. Excellent plot and quite a few moral grey areas I had to take a minute to think through. Well worth the 12 quid I paid for it.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally pulled the trigger and bought the game/expansion. I jumped straight into the expansion and skipped the campaign in the original game. I am really enjoying the Dragonfall Campaign, and I'm a tough sell. I probably only find 3-5 games worth my time per year and this definitely makes my list. It's very well written, the characters are deep and interesting, and the pace and progression are pretty close to perfect. I never played Dead Man's switch, so I can't compare this with that, but I'm really loving Dragonfall so far (probably 12 or 13 hours in).

When I'm done with Dragonfall I plan to check out the map editor and try to create a campaign set in my home city.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Man, trying a mage in the expansion. Did mages suck this much in the original story too? Seems like absolute crap damage compared to using literally any other weapon.

Should I just abandon this now, or do they get better later?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Mages sucked in dead man's switch also. Go with guns. They are good support, just not a "main".

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
finished the dragonfall today, a vast improvement over the base campaign, but i never had any problems with the old saving system. what i saw as improvements was mainly the plot and the character interactions, side-quests and also world-interaction, the game felt more alive.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
would you guys recommend skipping the original campaign and jumping straight into dragonfall, as a few have already mentioned?

it seems like I might enjoy playing through the improvements and evolution of this release from the original forward, unless those that have would recommend otherwise

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is this new campaign really that much better? I was so disappointed by the original... I only got like ~3 hours into before I quit. The engine just felt much too limited, there was no exploration; the old SNES version had more freedom than it did.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
There's no exploration in the new campaign either. This isn't that kind of game.

But it's a big improvement over the original.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I thought the original had a solid story and a good intro to the setting. It wasn't long or expansive, but was a solid experience I thought.