Silicon Valley

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Endframe was miles behind Pied Piper as far as the platform goes, neural net and all that shit. But they've still got a handle on the basic middle-out compression thing. So their version of The Box is theirs. I'm sure it's not as good/efficient as the PP one was/would be, but obviously it's still good enough that it's worth making/selling for all the same reasons the PP version was.

Though that was a great touch.
Ahh, i thought the dickhead who went from pp to hooli passed their infoz on and thats what they used for The Box

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Episode felt weird, the conflict felt forced, like they just had to shit on the boys again to keep the story going. Zzz.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It was also worse than usual in that regard because there was nothing funny about it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also when it was already implied that they were unable to complete their development of the algorithm without their key engineers. Or whatever incomplete form of it they have they can't do much with.
I thought the compression algorithm was basically done what they needed the engineers for was fleshing out use on the platform. But it felt like FileA.txt -> Middle Out -> FileA.cmp was basically good to go.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I liked Richard with the focus group when he actually, for once in the entire season, started to communicate and relate to normal human beings. I thought they'd do more with that, but I guess not.

Tenks

I liked Richard with the focus group when he actually, for once in the entire season, started to communicate and relate to normal human beings. I thought they'd do more with that, but I guess not.
I somewhat implied it took him like 4 hours to get his point across, though. And the fact that he had to basically teach the entire room all the technical nuances of the PP design to actually understand how to use it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if Gavin had to sell his box on the same one way street contract that Richard had to do, thus fucking him over from competing with Richard for the next five years.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wonder if Gavin had to sell his box on the same one way street contract that Richard had to do, thus fucking him over from competing with Richard for the next five years.
I was also wondering if that is the catch. That his team ignored the nuance of the contract and screwed themselves with the box deal. We shall see...

Khane

I would expect that to be the case. Jack Barker CEO Extroardinaire is nothing more than an incredibly savvy snake oil salesman.

Tenks

I'm not sure if snake oil is right. More like he focuses more on making a quick buck than a long term more risky plan. It works out for Gavin because he had to make a splash immediately. If he had a contract in hand to sell 500k in boxes that secures him back as CEO immediately. Gavin had to be short sighted in this instance.

Khane

Oh no, he's a snake oil salesman. They sell it that way to the audience too with his conjoined triangles of success. He doesn't give a shit whether it's usable or not, he's going to sell it and then he's going to get out before the truth comes out.

If you ask me it's social commentary on the current state of all our fluff services and wall street here in the US.

Tenks

*shrug* A bird in the hand. PP decided against the box and they'd have a ton of cash flowing into their company had they not. Instead PP decided to go with the platform and they're forced to hire Indians to pretend to be users. You can think Jack is a blowhard but if he can get a half a billion contract locked up regardless of the language I'd probably take that deal every day of the week.

Khane

We're in agreement and just arguing semantics. Jack sees the users for what they are, fools. And he knows how to make money off of them. That's exactly what a charlatan (snake oil salesmen in US nomenclature) is.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
One thing I don't get about this show. Is why is Lori and Raviga doing everything possible to avoid giving Richard and PP money just to function? Their agreement that they need to sell X before they get anymore funding is just... stupid. They bleed/rehire engineers on the regular because they don't even get enough money to just do standard operations. Despite having a platform that even Lori admits to being worth a ton of money once they get it to people correctly.

Why?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
One thing I don't get about this show. Is why is Lori and Raviga doing everything possible to avoid giving Richard and PP money just to function? Their agreement that they need to sell X before they get anymore funding is just... stupid. They bleed/rehire engineers on the regular because they don't even get enough money to just do standard operations. Despite having a platform that even Lori admits to being worth a ton of money once they get it to people correctly.

Why?
Because the plot demands tension!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Obviously the plot demands tension, and thats why, but why not just have the UI lie to the users and say you're using XX Mb/Gb/whatever, but due to PP awesome compression you are still 95% free, add more shit! Who cares where the stuff is actually stored as long as the users get it when they want it.

Make it dropbox + infinite compression = put your stuff here and *hand wave* free space whoo!

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
You guys on the edge of your seats awaiting to see how the platform evolves are watching this show for different reasons than I am.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, this thread is getting close to arguing the specifications of the warp drive on the Enterprise. The UI is 500x more complex than it needs to be. Why? Because plot. That shit would be ironed out in a week or less by a real company, and the sex & coke parties with kiddie pools full of cash to roll around in would be in full swing.